Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 AM

32 posts, read 78,143 times

Advertisements

HI everybody!
I plan on moving to Orlando to start school in Spring 2012. I am currently living overseas as I served in the military here so it is quite a big move. I am looking at starting off at Valencia Community College and going for Computer Engineering with a focus in cyber security. My ultimate goal is to use their "direct connect" program and obtain as Masters degree in "Digital Forensics" at UCF. Does anybody know anything about these degrees at those schools? Having served as a Army Signals Intelligence Analyst it seems like a good choice considering my background and I would like to get back into a federal job after school.

Since I am a veteran I will be getting paid a housing allowance which runs around 1200-1400/month in the Orlando area. From what I read in this forum, it sounds like both my wife and I need to get at least part time jobs in order to survive in the area. Is that correct?
We got married in Orlando in March and took a UCF campus tour. We loved the area, however, we could not get a real impression of the surrounding areas as we only had one week to explore the city. Oviedo and Winter Park as well as Lake Mary seemed like nice towns to live in, but every apartment complex I look at online turns out to have very bad ratings. I would like to have a place set up before I get to Orlando. Coming from Germany I want everything to be set up and ready to move in. I could provide a co signer on top of my G.I. Bill housing allowance as I obviously will not have a job there right away. So where is a good place to live that is not too far (15- 20 minutes max. ) from both Valencia and UCF?
We prefer suburban and somewhat affordable housing. Any suggestions for decent apartments? Or areas at least ? A one bedroom unit will suffice for us. Maybe somebody even knows a reliable leasing agent that can provide me with rental listings a few months ahead.
Thank you in advance! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando