Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,053 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,

I will be relocating from Washington, DC to Orlando in the first week of August. I will be working in downtown Orlando and will like to know which one of these areas will be a safe bet for a young (late 20's) and single lady. Safety is my top concern and some degree of quietness, with a night life not too far away. I have toured some nice apartments in Lake Mary but was told that traffic from Lake Mary to Downtown can be very bad in the morning. So I am at the point of decision and I have shortlisted two apartments communities, Grandeville at Avalon Park, and Altis at Lake Windermere. Both apartments are very nice, so the decision factor is really "location". I think they are about the same distance to Downtown and they are in quite safe areas so I am at a loss as to which one to go with. I don't know the city at all, I came once for the interview and this time around to look for the place. I will be moving in 3 weeks so any input is welcome. Avalon Park or Windermere? What are the pros and cons of living in one area vs the other. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,804,663 times
I think you will find either locations to be very nice. and quiet. The commute from Waterford / Avalon will be faster than Windermere. You may also consider Baldwin Park or Thornton Park both are very nice areas and much closer to downtown and you can avoid the toll roads... from Avalon it is $1.75 each way. and from Windermere more than that.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:55 PM

428 posts, read 1,076,848 times
Why not check out Baldwin Park.
Its only 2.5-3 miles from downtown Orlando and has its own "village" with wine bars, restaurants, shopping, Publix, CVS, banks etc and a trail around Lake Baldwin.
BP is not a city but rather a neighborhood; just unlike any other.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
Windermere. Although further in distance it has more options for commuting downtown.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,053 times
Thanks much for your replies. I did look in Baldwin Park but I couldn't find anything available for my time frame and my dates are not flexible, as I have to start work the first week of August. Is Lake Mary a viable option to any of these two? I have already been approved for an apartment that I like very much in that location. Is the traffic really bad? Windermere seemed to be a much nicer area, quieter too, but a litlle far removed. Thanks again and will appreciate anything else you might want to add to help me make an informed decision.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,968 times
Avalon is your best bet. There isn't nearly as much to do on the West side and Lake Mary is a tough drive. Also, they have paid courtesy patrol at GrandeVille and number of law enforcement officers live there. If they like, I love it.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
I'm gonna go out on limb and say that commuting from either Avalon, Windermere and Lake Mary is about the same. Avalon is out on the east side which is one of the most heavily populated areas. The only real option to commute downtown are 408, Lake Underhill and Colonial. It gets quite congested during rush hour. The same can be said for the other 2, just from different directions on different roads. Have you considered Altamonte Springs or Maitland?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssAyJay View Post
Avalon is your best bet. There isn't nearly as much to do on the West side and Lake Mary is a tough drive. Also, they have paid courtesy patrol at GrandeVille and number of law enforcement officers live there. If they like, I love it.
You're joking, right ? Have to been to Sand Lake Road, I-Drive, the theme parks, etc ?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 PM

207 posts, read 1,029,252 times
Avalon Park is a great area in general; however, if I were you I'd look at the Flats at Avalon Park instead of Grandville. I live around here, and Grandville looks nice on the outside but the immediate area around it is a little bit ghetto, and it's really close to Rt. 50, which is always a bit sketchy. Further down Avalon Park Blvd you will find the main town center with apts above the shops and this is a MUCH better location for someone single, and very convenient to Rt 528 now that they have opened the new road. They are also widening Alafaya Trail finally. Go with the Flats, not Grandville. Trust me. I know both well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando