Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,329 times

Advertisements

My husband might work at the Stanton Energy Plant at Orange County, so far I've flown to Orlando twice to see if I would like it living there. Frankly there are so many areas to choose....but I find that everything is so "spread out"....There are these communities that look very nice and well groomed but I would feel so isolated....you have to go out on the highway and you see only shopping malls! I'm an artist and would love to live in a neighborhood where you walk to the shops, interact with people!, or a village of some kind with galleries, etc. I saw Winter Park and I thought it was charming but are the rents very high? We also have two teen age boys and a good school its important, even if it has to be a private one. My husband says he doesn't mind driving to the plant 30 or 45 minutes as long as I find a suitable place for our needs. I don't mind an apartment but I would love to have a studio or workshop so I guess a house is the best option. Any sugestions? I'd appreciate them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,093 times
Did you look in the Waterford Lakes areas? Our area is pretty close to the energy plant. There are many communities to pick from. Waterford Lakes, Eastwood, Stoneybrook and Avalon Park. Avalon has a towncenter atmosphere with restaurants and shops. The high school is Timber Creek and supposedly they have a very good reputation.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
You may also want to look in Thornton Park or College Park near downtown. Winter Park is expensive but a lovely place to live if you can afford it. I lived in Winter Park for 10 years, but got tired of the traffic and moved out to the southeast side not far from the energy plant. Yes, I have to drive to stores, but I love living by the woods and the relaxed pace of my life here. It's all about the lifestyle you desire.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,329 times
Thank you all for your suggestions, we will check them out!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I was going to say Winter Park also. If you have kids, I'd look into Seminole County b/c of schools. There are areas such as Lake Mary they are very convenient to stores and great schools!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 PM

307 posts, read 2,106,588 times
there are lots of places around the orlando area that describe what you would be looking for. us locals are happy to help with your search! There are lots of quaint towns surrounding orlando. I live in lake mary, and its a wonderful family community.

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-03-2007 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: Delete Realtor solicitation

Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,081 times
[Orphaned post
I think Terry hit it on the nose with you, You definetly would fit in very well in Winter Park. But it's very pricey.

I think the next best thing would be Avalon Park, in their towncenter. It seems very Norman Rockwell to me, and it's minutes to the power plant with great schools. The rents there are very reasonable as well, and if you were looking to purchase something is also much lower priced than winter park

There are one or two apartment complexes and a townhome community walking distance to the waterford lakes towncenter/shoping center. But I don't think that's what you were looking for.

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-03-2007 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,785 times
Default Where to Live near Stanton Energy???

We are considering a move for my hubby to work at Stanton Energy. He likes privacy, yet a nice place to live with convenience to stores. A house, patio home or villa would be ideal. Apartments just don't offer enough privacy. Would be great if he could be close enough to come home for lunch, but not mandatory. I don't know anything about the Orlando area. When "pianogal" mentioned moving out the southeast side...he said not far from the energy plant. What is that area called? Are there other areas we should consider? Hubby is really a nature loving guy; he loves to relax on weekends outdoors, go fishing, etc. Help.....the job starts soon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
You may also want to look in Thornton Park or College Park near downtown. Winter Park is expensive but a lovely place to live if you can afford it. I lived in Winter Park for 10 years, but got tired of the traffic and moved out to the southeast side not far from the energy plant. Yes, I have to drive to stores, but I love living by the woods and the relaxed pace of my life here. It's all about the lifestyle you desire.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,081 times
What was the price range you were looking for? There are ALOT of neighborhoods close to the stanton plant. The closest being Avalon Park, Stoneybrook East, Waterford Lakes and so on. All of these neighborhoods will probably keep your husband close enough to come home for lunch. The SE side of orlando is called just that, SE orlando no special name. The larger neighborhoods are mentioned above, to add there is Lake Nona, Lee Vista, Lake Hart area, Cypress Springs, etc. Further out you have Oveido, Lake Pickett, Chuluota, then closer toward downtown orlando there is Winter Park and Baldwin Park. These places wouldn't be close enough to drive home for lunch though.

There are alot of lakes in the area to go fishing on, and you can always just take a trip down Hwy 50 toward I-95 and find ton's of forrest, airboat rides, and boat launches all over.

What are some of the criteria you were looking for in a home and neighborhood? I can narrow it down a little more for you.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,785 times
Default Orlando move near Stanton Energy

Thanks for your reply. We are looking to rent, not buy. The position at Stanton could be 1 - 4 years. I need to know how much a 2-4 bedroom nice house with yard (pool would be great, but not mandatory) will cost per month. In the alternatiive, a patio home or "villa" would be fine as long as not attached to other dwellings.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando