Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you planning a move to Florida?
Yes, I have to go, job transfer, school, etc. 18 10.00%
Yes, or at least I think so 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, want out or already left! 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, love it (I'm not a FL moving co. or R.E. Agent) 73 40.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM

677 posts, read 933,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyygal View Post
i just got back from Orlando, my first visit back after i left over 15 yrs ago. it was very hot (91 to 97 almost evry day), i can't believe it didn't bother me, i felt great. i checked out the temp on the dash of my rental car and it said 100 a couple times, too. yet, i went to seaworld and walked around for seven hours and was fine. i had a great time, the city is so beautiful in certain areas, and it seemed a lot the same to me, just wider lanes on roads and a lot more buildings, etc. i turned the ac off a couple times in my room. so i guess i like the heat. (i had a screened balcony room. ) i did walk around lake eola one day and started to feel overwhelmed on the hottest day there. i just took a seat in the shade for a little bit and walked out again. i missed that fla sunshine all those years, i loved seeing all the plants and trees i like so much. i'm really close to just moving back. i guess me and you aren't alike, because when i left, i cried the day before and on the way to the airport, i didn't want to leave.
Yeah, you're right we are opposites. No way in hell would we have choosen FL to honeymoon in the month of Sept if we would've thought it out, but I was 24 & he was 30 & we thought FL had so much entertainment to offer. We had our enjoyable moments inbetween ducking the sunrays but never had the desire to return in over 25 yrs, only when my SIL moved there did we return to see her new home in Spring Hill. We went to Universal Studios & spent 3 days in Orlando & loved ever minute of it! But guess what, that was between Christmas & New Years when the temps were in the high 70's, low 80's. I thought my God, if it's 83* in Orlando on New Years day, what the hell is the temps in July, it must be set on boil. I do agree FL is a great vacation state during winter months, but I would never ever want to live there primarily due to the heat & humidity, fear of hurricanes, & a multiple of other reasons, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer69 View Post
Was told I sould leave my home in Florida after only living there 3 months, a hurricane coming. Didn't know if our house would be there when we were allowed to return. 62 years in Ohio, I was never made to leave my home. I moved back to Ohio, had to sell my Florida house at a big loss.
So you just learned after moving down there that Florida gets hit with hurricanes? WTF...have you watched the news at all in the last 30 years or so?

Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Florida is a great place to visit. Most traveled to destination in the world. When on vacation for a week or two you can tolerate the heat or the cold somewhere else while on holiday (holiday- for any British readers thinking of coming over for the warm weather and dentists). We all enjoy going to someplace that is different than where we live while on vacation. If you live in Orlando, you don't go to Kissimmee on vacation. If you live in Akron, OH you don't go to Cleveland for vacation (I know, I know. Someone will post that they do exactly that. I've come to expect that). It's when you use that "feeling" as a basis to move someplace that things change. 90 degree heat and 90% humidity on vacation for a week is tolerable. Putting up with that for 9 months a year, every year when you aren't on vacation is different. It may be for some, but it's not for many.
I take exception to about every word you wrote here. That being said I COULD choose to write the same post about wherever you are living now. I could also remind you that the place you are living is what you are used to and or suits your needs more appropriately than Florida does or ever will in your minds eye. I could point these things out to you.... But I'd rather focus on what is RIGHT and GOOD about Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I guess that's why Florida only has 18,537,969 people!
18 million people can't ALL be wrong now can they?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
I take exception to about every word you wrote here. That being said I COULD choose to write the same post about wherever you are living now. I could also remind you that the place you are living is what you are used to and or suits your needs more appropriately than Florida does or ever will in your minds eye. I could point these things out to you.... But I'd rather focus on what is RIGHT and GOOD about Florida

18 million people can't ALL be wrong now can they?
From the year 2000-2010 just under 5 million people have packed up and left Florida according to US Census figures. Of course they were replaced by around 8 million new transplants. It's a revolving door.

Since wwII the population of Florida increased every decade because although a lot of people pack up and leave every year, even more people moved there. That trend has changed. In 2009 roughly the same amount of people moved in as moved out. The decade we are in now may be the first decade where Florida's population stalls or drops in over a half century. If so, the economy and budget problems the state has now will endure or get worse.

How many of those 18 million want to leave right now but owe $250,000 on a house that will now only appraise for $120,000? If more people move out than move in to FL in the coming years, that will only increase the economic woes. More vacant homes, foreclosures, closed businesses, etc. For those that are financially independent, or have secure retirement funds (terms now oxymorons?), that may have little effect on them. But for those that have to earn an income (other than health care, for now) and want to move to FL, they may not be able to.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
From the year 2000-2010 just under 5 million people have packed up and left Florida according to US Census figures. Of course they were replaced by around 8 million new transplants. It's a revolving door.
Seems like we are +3 million, but maybe my math is wrong. If it isn't; that doesn't seem to be a "revolving door" to me..

Quote:
Since wwII the population of Florida increased every decade because although a lot of people pack up and leave every year, even more people moved there. That trend has changed. In 2009 roughly the same amount of people moved in as moved out. The decade we are in now may be the first decade where Florida's population stalls or drops in over a half century. If so, the economy and budget problems the state has now will endure or get worse.
And how many died? Roughly the same? (back to the +3 million) stalls or drops? That's a tragedy how?

Quote:
How many of those 18 million want to leave right now but owe $250,000 on a house that will now only appraise for $120,000? If more people move out than move in to FL in the coming years, that will only increase the economic woes. More vacant homes, foreclosures, closed businesses, etc. For those that are financially independent, or have secure retirement funds (terms now oxymorons?), that may have little effect on them. But for those that have to earn an income (other than health care, for now) and want to move to FL, they may not be able to.
I don't know how many want to leave but can't. Guess what? I don't care. Want to know why I don't care? The point point I made earlier in the thread about moving here and buying a house without having lived here.

Yeah, if people keep moving out (I thought we were at +3 million) there will be economic consequences. Maybe if we are LUCKY the millions of people who leave will all be morons, and while those of us left behind will be paying more, we will realize the value of what we are paying for. So instead of whining about how much we pay in taxes, we will say, sure, we pay a lot in taxes, but look how smart our children are, how efficient our roads and other forms of transportation are, and how pretty our parks (not theme) are.

The bottom line for me is you are apparently arguing with the wrong person. I can find good in everything you seem to find bad. I choose to look for the good because I know it exists. I know we are better than the sum of our parts, and I know this is where I want to live. I don't want everyone to like it, I don't need anyone to love it. This is what I consider 'mine' and I am happy to have it, moles, warts, and all!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
To get in on the conversation as to why you don't see as many kids playing outside as there were in the past.

First thought was TV and game systems as well as the computer takes up a lot of playtime for a lot of kids. Reason behind the heftier size of kids to an extent.

2nd thought.....both parents work and kids are at camp/day care during summer from 8-6, take lessons, and play sports, skate, ride bikes after 6 at parks and clubs instead of on the street in front of their homes.(neighbor boys bikes are on a rack on their car) Or they are with parents shopping, eating, etc till almost dark. They just have less time to play outside at home because of daycare, dinner, and homework during the school year.

3rd thought.... Most kids are not allowed to play in the front yard these days because of perverts so parents tend to keep them in the back yard...All our neighbors have pools for their kids so they are mostly in the back yards, but we do see them playing with neighbors, riding bikes, throwing around the football or baseball on a regular basis, but this is a quiet street and all the neighbors are friendly and look after each others kids to an extent. For example they all know it is OK to play in our front yard because we don't have trees in the way of playing catch. etc..
This is one of the reasons we love this neighborhood.....the kids get out and play. They have played on teams all summer and are starting football now. In our old neighborhood we never saw the kids-just heard them from behind the fences in their back yards.
Little League baseball starts earlier down here, though and sometimes the practices and games interfere wioth school-especially if the game gets a late start like a 9 or 10 pm game because of the number of games that have to be played in a night. I assumed the early start was because of the heat and the afternoon showers which caused too many cancellations. Scheduling around vacations is a problem also. I remember in Illinois Little League was more of a summer night thing. We spent our summer nights in the parks watching games and it finished up in August, but here it is ending late June or early July. I always assumed it was because of the heat.
When my guys were little they played co-ed softball during the summers just for fun.
Thank you for this post, not that the Fla haters will read it but, it is all so true......Florida is hot, hotter than I remember in growing up. Even in the 70's and 80's, we held off turning on the AC as long as possible and went many days without it, as well as, the heat....we just liked the house open and it didn't seem to be that hot or cold.....

I have traveled a lot and the worst state I was in was PA. It was dark, grimey (sp) and the coldest winter, rainy, sleety, snow weather I have ever seen and it didn't let up. I went to work and it was dark at 7:30 a.m.
and when I went home at 4:30 p.m. it was dusky dark, relentlessly so. The country side was lovely, when you could get out in it in the autumn and spring. I was once there on a 4th of July weekend and it was so cold (unnaturally so, I'll admit), I had to put on a jacket. But, I don't go to the PA forum and say so......not my southern good manners and upbringing.......'if you can't say somethin' nice......'

Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Seems like we are +3 million, but maybe my math is wrong. If it isn't; that doesn't seem to be a "revolving door" to me..

And how many died? Roughly the same? (back to the +3 million) stalls or drops? That's a tragedy how?

I don't know how many want to leave but can't. Guess what? I don't care. Want to know why I don't care? The point point I made earlier in the thread about moving here and buying a house without having lived here.

Yeah, if people keep moving out (I thought we were at +3 million) there will be economic consequences. Maybe if we are LUCKY the millions of people who leave will all be morons, and while those of us left behind will be paying more, we will realize the value of what we are paying for. So instead of whining about how much we pay in taxes, we will say, sure, we pay a lot in taxes, but look how smart our children are, how efficient our roads and other forms of transportation are, and how pretty our parks (not theme) are.

The bottom line for me is you are apparently arguing with the wrong person. I can find good in everything you seem to find bad. I choose to look for the good because I know it exists. I know we are better than the sum of our parts, and I know this is where I want to live. I don't want everyone to like it, I don't need anyone to love it. This is what I consider 'mine' and I am happy to have it, moles, warts, and all!
What happens if, as you put it, the morons are the one's that are staying and the smart ones are the ones leaving? Personally I don't think anyone is a moron for moving to, living in or leaving the state. The headline stories coming out of Florida do make you wonder though.

A shrinking population means even less employment. Florida already is near the top in UNemployment. Sometimes people come to these forums for information to help them make life altering decisions. It's better to see the good, bad and in between so they can decide for themselves.

For Florida, 'end of an era' of population growth - USATODAY.com

Last edited by alfbroker; 09-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: spelling, missed word

Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM

36 posts, read 90,156 times
Quote:
What happens if, as you put it, the morons are the one's that are staying and the smart ones are the ones leaving? Personally I don't think anyone is a moron for moving to, living in or leaving the state. The headline stories coming out of Florida do make you wonder though.

That's one thing I've noticed for years. Anytime I see something extremely
f'd up or disgusting or weird on the news, it seems like at least a third
of the time, it happened in Florida.

Carry on, then.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:

A shrinking population means even less employment. Florida already is near the top in UNemployment. Sometimes people come to these forums for information to help them make life altering decisions. It's better to see the good, bad and in between so they can decide for themselves.

If the morons stay, then it will be my job to educate them.
The headlines didn't earn us a "floriduh" tag from a news site for no reason.. there are some freaking idiots here. That's not news AT ALL.
I think people who make the decision to move to a state and then leave it because they cant stand it are morons. If this place is so horrible that you have to leave; why did you come here in the first place? (My presumption is that enough research was not done, because if it was, they never would have moved in the first place, or they would have chosen to stay despite the negatives).

Shrinking population=less employment= Ok.. So? That makes Florida different from the entire US how? Do you ever wonder if never ending population growth has consequences either? That many more reasons for uneducated people to leave so far as I can figure. Now if it gets to the point where you have to have a master's degree to be competitive for a job at Mc Donald's, I'll start to worry, but I think there will be bigger problems by that time.

Yes, people come here for information.. and they should get FACTS not emotional hyperbole. That's why in my previous reply I mention loving this place warts and all and that it is not perfect. Personally I don't want people to move here and make this place more crowded than it already is, but by the same token, I'm not willing to lie and strike fear to keep them out.

Bummer: http://www.fark.com/ Doesn't appear to use the Floriduh tag anymore..

Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 AM

238 posts, read 742,892 times
I'll put up with Lovebugs over snow, rain, sleet and cold anytime!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando