Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you planning a move to Florida?
Yes, I have to go, job transfer, school, etc. 18 10.00%
Yes, or at least I think so 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, want out or already left! 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, love it (I'm not a FL moving co. or R.E. Agent) 73 40.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrman69 View Post
I'll put up with Lovebugs over snow, rain, sleet and cold anytime!!
High of 70 degrees today, very sunny, very low humidity and a low of 50 tonight. No a/c no heat needed. Great sleeping weather with cool fresh air.

Florida, still hot and humid like it is 9 months out of the year. If you add up the total "warm" days, you get more of them in most northern states than you do in Florida every year.

Trading 3 months of snow for 9 months of heat and humidity in FL is not for most people. Takes most at least a year in FL to start regretting it their move. That's why over 1000 people pack up and leave FL every day.

I'll come down for a month in the winter when the weather down there gets as nice as it is up here right now. Only a month though. Gotta get back north and hit the slopes a few times a week. Going outside now, won't be sweating like you are in FL.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
High of 70 degrees today, very sunny, very low humidity and a low of 50 tonight. No a/c no heat needed. Great sleeping weather with cool fresh air.

Florida, still hot and humid like it is 9 months out of the year. If you add up the total "warm" days, you get more of them in most northern states than you do in Florida every year.

Trading 3 months of snow for 9 months of heat and humidity in FL is not for most people. Takes most at least a year in FL to start regretting it their move. That's why over 1000 people pack up and leave FL every day.

I'll come down for a month in the winter when the weather down there gets as nice as it is up here right now. Only a month though. Gotta get back north and hit the slopes a few times a week. Going outside now, won't be sweating like you are in FL.
Can you provide proof that 1000 people MOVE from Florida a day?

Link?

Then a link to compare how many move to Florida a day.

Florida is ranked 3-4 in population by the way.

And 1000 people do not leave just because of the heat I do not believe.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
If the morons stay, then it will be my job to educate them.
The headlines didn't earn us a "floriduh" tag from a news site for no reason.. there are some freaking idiots here. That's not news AT ALL.
I think people who make the decision to move to a state and then leave it because they cant stand it are morons. If this place is so horrible that you have to leave; why did you come here in the first place? (My presumption is that enough research was not done, because if it was, they never would have moved in the first place, or they would have chosen to stay despite the negatives).

Shrinking population=less employment= Ok.. So? That makes Florida different from the entire US how? Do you ever wonder if never ending population growth has consequences either? That many more reasons for uneducated people to leave so far as I can figure. Now if it gets to the point where you have to have a master's degree to be competitive for a job at Mc Donald's, I'll start to worry, but I think there will be bigger problems by that time.

Yes, people come here for information.. and they should get FACTS not emotional hyperbole. That's why in my previous reply I mention loving this place warts and all and that it is not perfect. Personally I don't want people to move here and make this place more crowded than it already is, but by the same token, I'm not willing to lie and strike fear to keep them out.

Bummer: Drew Curtis' FARK.com Doesn't appear to use the Floriduh tag anymore..

Who's to say your facts are anymore factual than someone else's? Anyone considering moving to FL if they have half a ounce of a brain would want to hear the good, the bad, & the ugly. You may love FL while others may hate it, that does not make your passion anymore truthful than someone elses contempt.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrman69 View Post
I'll put up with Lovebugs over snow, rain, sleet and cold anytime!!
And I'll take rain (like it doesn't rain in FL, oh puh-lease), sleet, snow, & cold over hot hot hot hot hot hot hot!!! with the extra added bonus of humid humid humid humid.

Oh, you forgot 1, ICE!! But what you fail to realize is that depending on what part of the north you're in we don't experience inclement weather on a daily basis, some winters guess what, we don't have any snow or ice, certainly not enough that amounts to anything. Flying cockroaches & nasty love bugs don't exist here, & if they did, guess again, the winter would kill them, now can you say the same? Winter cold also kills airborne bacteria, unlike hell's biggest mimicker, FL. Futhermore in states such as PA, DE, MD, VA, & several others the worse weather is the 2 month span of Jan & Feb, those are our anything goes months. It's unusual for us to have a white Christmas, ice storms in Dec, & I can never remember having 1 in March, but yes Jan & Feb is the dead of winter months. Screened in patio's aren't the norm here since we're no where near as insect laden, we don't have to fear alligators in our pools, swarms of love bugs, various lizards, or giant pythons.

So if Fl is your passion, then baby you got it, you stay down there & we'll stay up here, seems like a win win situation wouldn't ya say?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
The Tennessee side doesn't suck... AT ALL*

*Ok Maybe Pigeon forge does, but does that REALLY count as "the MOUNTAINS"?

Ill throw my 2 sense in as well
The Indiana side doesn't suck at all. Well maybe that we have some people from Chicago's Corruption Machine spilling over into Northwest Indiana but nothing that Indianapolis can't counter

Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
And I'll take rain (like it doesn't rain in FL, oh puh-lease), sleet, snow, & cold over hot hot hot hot hot hot hot!!! with the extra added bonus of humid humid humid humid.

Oh, you forgot 1, ICE!! But what you fail to realize is that depending on what part of the north you're in we don't experience inclement weather on a daily basis, some winters guess what, we don't have any snow or ice, certainly not enough that amounts to anything. Flying cockroaches & nasty love bugs don't exist here, & if they did, guess again, the winter would kill them, now can you say the same? Winter cold also kills airborne bacteria, unlike hell's biggest mimicker, FL. Futhermore in states such as PA, DE, MD, VA, & several others the worse weather is the 2 month span of Jan & Feb, those are our anything goes months. It's unusual for us to have a white Christmas, ice storms in Dec, & I can never remember having 1 in March, but yes Jan & Feb is the dead of winter months. Screened in patio's aren't the norm here since we're no where near as insect laden, we don't have to fear alligators in our pools, swarms of love bugs, various lizards, or giant pythons.

So if Fl is your passion, then baby you got it, you stay down there & we'll stay up here, seems like a win win situation wouldn't ya say?
You've said on this thread that you've only visit Florida what.. twice? I really just don't understand why you're so fervent on bashing a state that you've never lived in or spent any good amount of time in.

Anyway, you've listed all these things that Floridians have to "deal" with when, in reality, aren't even a big deal. I've never feared finding an alligator in a pool (not all of us live on a lake, and some of us even have fences!), bugs aren't a big deal (lovebug season is only once or twice a year.. and still, all you need to do is wash your car, if even that). I've never seen a giant python that wasn't in a tank. Lizards don't bother anyone... I actually missed them when I lived up north.

Also, the notion that the palmetto bug is anything different than your average cockroach is a myth. They're the same thing- ALL adult roaches have wings. And roaches are everywhere in the US. Most of them just choose not to fly. I've only seen one fly in my life.

I know we disagree, but I'll take hot summers and pools and perfect winters over the months and of cold in the north. I know in New York it's already dipped into the 50's... and it'll just stay that way and colder until April or so. I love colder weather, but not for that long.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:16 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
This thread is sooooooooo "entertaining"! I'm cracking up over here with some of the posts.

It is safe to say, that we all have different opinions/experiences of people/places and things and what works for one person will NOT for others.

So how about a group hug?!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post

If people don't know that it is hot and humid down here then I think they may have bigger problems. I knew that when I moved down here as every one else that I have ever met that came from a cold climate.

Florida isn't for every one because of the heat and humidity but that isn't a big secret that people are trying to keep.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
We moved here the 1st of July.

We had no problems at all with the heat.

Love it here in central Florida!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
You've said on this thread that you've only visit Florida what.. twice? I really just don't understand why you're so fervent on bashing a state that you've never lived in or spent any good amount of time in.

Anyway, you've listed all these things that Floridians have to "deal" with when, in reality, aren't even a big deal. I've never feared finding an alligator in a pool (not all of us live on a lake, and some of us even have fences!), bugs aren't a big deal (lovebug season is only once or twice a year.. and still, all you need to do is wash your car, if even that). I've never seen a giant python that wasn't in a tank. Lizards don't bother anyone... I actually missed them when I lived up north.

Also, the notion that the palmetto bug is anything different than your average cockroach is a myth. They're the same thing- ALL adult roaches have wings. And roaches are everywhere in the US. Most of them just choose not to fly. I've only seen one fly in my life.

I know we disagree, but I'll take hot summers and pools and perfect winters over the months and of cold in the north. I know in New York it's already dipped into the 50's... and it'll just stay that way and colder until April or so. I love colder weather, but not for that long.

I'm just loving this thread, LOL!!!! Ok, it's exactly 10pm here in DE & the temp is 61*, in Spring Hill, FL (using as a example since it's close to the cost & centrally located is 76*, tommorow's forecast, DE 71 & SH 91 & the 5 day say's 90 all week long, big difference! And yes, I've only been there 2x, that's enough, but weather.com tells me all I need to know about your climate & the posters on CD tell me the rest, LOL. Btw, don't know why you feel I'm "bashing" FL, cause I'm not, I've said before different strokes for different folks. If you don't mind sticky sweat dripping off your forehead, wet underarms, relentless sunrays, well then......fine. I do. See I don't have to live there or spend a good amount of time to know it's not for me, no more than I'd have to live in Sibera or the Amazon jungle to know it's not for me.

Never seen a flying cockroach, never said the north doesn't have roaches, but huge flying one's are not the norm. All bugs in FL are larger due to the never ending summers so it only stands to reason they grow really BIG. Lovebugs I couldn't tolerate as part of my environment no kinda way, don't want swarms of insects splattering on my car, don't want to "have to" wash it daily for fear of the paint being eaten off, & don't want them coliding into me & as far as the rest of the critters down there I don't want to have the fear of them crossing my path. Alligators have been known to show up where ever & when ever they want, see it all the time on Animal Planet tv.

And yeah, we should agree to disagree, I can't stand oppressive heat & if you can tolerate it that's a good thing, cause I'm so damn happy summer is over with up here I might just scream. Cold winters here we can dress for them & stay warm but when it's 95* no matter how skimpy you dress your butt is still burning the hell up. It is what it is babe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando