Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you planning a move to Florida?
Yes, I have to go, job transfer, school, etc. 18 10.00%
Yes, or at least I think so 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, want out or already left! 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, love it (I'm not a FL moving co. or R.E. Agent) 73 40.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

When people who have lived in Florida get into a talk about their experiences in Florida the topic of the weather is guaranteed going to come up and how people experienced said weather,most of those that say they felt uncomfortable with the heat are not saying dont come to Florida because its hot they are saying in casual conversation i went to Florida and couldnt get used to the summer heat and humidity, Kinda unfair to then take people to task calling them Haters and bashers for airing their opinions of Florida? i'm not seeing Floridians being called haters and bashers every time they they go off on their opinions of northern winters.
Maybe people who dont want to hear differing opinions about something should rethink their participation in forums. Or come up with a more courteous phrase than "haters and bashers" to describe those who may have a differences of opinion about certain aspects of Florida.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-20-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
SassySpice, 80's on New Year's Day can happen, but it's not normal. Temperatures in winter are usually in the 50's to 70's and dropping into the 40's and 30's (sometimes even the 20's) at night. Also, the cold air in FL for some reason feels colder than the same temperature up north, at least to me.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
I spent 17 years in Orlando. You are correct, more buildings, etc. We left Orlando in 2005 due to its growth since we got there in 88.

I know a lot about where I used to live. I follow the news there on line and on cable TV, we now get the NYC 24 hour news channel here.

Like I said, no problem with being vocal so long as it is factual and not exaggerated personal opinion which may or may not get questioned/debated here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyygal View Post
i spent a decade in orlando while raising two kids and working, i know a lot about it. it hasn't changed much either. just more buildings, people, wider and more roads, more foreigners. i'll never get the old orlando back. i still would love fla living in the future and have a lot of experience with it. do you not know anything about where you moved from because you now live in FL? that was a little unfair so i'm being vocal.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Don't move to Florida unless you love endless summer. This includes moving here for somebody else, or even a JOB. Do not think because of your "loved one", or that money, you will be able to ignore this lifestyle. Sooner or later you will ending up hating it, your loved one, or that job.

The majority of people in the US are not cut out for living year round in Florida. A week or two vacation? Yes. Permanently. No.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 PM

378 posts, read 829,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
To each their own. But just fyi, the theme parks are basically empty right now and have no lines. It's when you guys get sick of the snow and come down here that the wait times increase!

If you enjoy careening down mountains attached to sticks then by all means, enjoy it. I'll stick to the sun and the water and the theme parks
So what you're saying is we have the best of both worlds? I knew you would eventually admit that you agree. Actually FL is great in December because the humidity is usually gone, most snowbirds aren't there yet and its not too crowded (except early bird dinners at 3pm from locals) and the winter conditions up north are poor. Its the old folks that go to FL for the winter. The young and young at heart (many ski resorts offer free skiing to those over 65) are working and enjoying the "northern lifestyle".

Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 AM

It's not the fact that it's hot in the summer in FL and summer does end. Winters in Central Fl and further north usually have several "hard freezes" throughout the months of December, January and into February.

Using Orlando as a point of reference, I wouldn't call a 61.2 average temperature in January as "endless summer", nor would I call an average yearly temperature of 82.6 as the maximum temperature very difficult to live with. Source: Hotels Florida - Places to stay Florida - Florida Attractions - Walt Disney World - Universal Studios - Coastal Weddings - Things to do in*Florida - Florida Travel Magazine

As I stated before, if you don't understand the above facts then you should not even consider moving to Florida. Seems a lot of people want
to live here but do not understand that FL is the most southern state in the U.S. and is closer to the equator than Pittsburgh or Duluth. Go back in your mind to about 4th grade when we all were taught about climates in the U.S. Anyone complaining about the weather in FL after moving
here missed a few gears in the relocation thinking process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When people who have lived in Florida get into a talk about their experiences in Florida the topic of the weather is guaranteed going to come up and how people experienced said weather,most of those that say they felt uncomfortable with the heat are not saying dont come to Florida because its hot they are saying in casual conversation i went to Florida and couldnt get used to the summer heat and humidity, Kinda unfair to then take people to task calling them Haters and bashers for airing their opinions of Florida? i'm not seeing Floridians being called haters and bashers every time they they go off on their opinions of northern winters.
Maybe people who dont want to hear differing opinions about something should rethink their participation in forums. Or come up with a more courteous phrase than "haters and bashers" to describe those who may have a differences of opinion about certain aspects of Florida.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 AM

How about the 18 million people who live in FL and do not enjoy the "northern lifestyle" but prefer the "southern lifestyle"? Why can't some of you understand that most of us live here because this is what we prefer?
Does it make us wrong not to enjoy cold? If that's your thing, hey go for it, but if you don't like it, that's fine too. The thinking that life in FL is horrible because of the weather is only an opinion of the thinker. I grew up in the Northeast and there is a whole lot more than winter that I don't like about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
So what you're saying is we have the best of both worlds? I knew you would eventually admit that you agree. Actually FL is great in December because the humidity is usually gone, most snowbirds aren't there yet and its not too crowded (except early bird dinners at 3pm from locals) and the winter conditions up north are poor. Its the old folks that go to FL for the winter. The young and young at heart (many ski resorts offer free skiing to those over 65) are working and enjoying the "northern lifestyle".

Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How about the 18 million people who live in FL and do not enjoy the "northern lifestyle" but prefer the "southern lifestyle"? Why can't some of you understand that most of us live here because this is what we prefer?
Does it make us wrong not to enjoy cold? If that's your thing, hey go for it, but if you don't like it, that's fine too. The thinking that life in FL is horrible because of the weather is only an opinion of the thinker. I grew up in the Northeast and there is a whole lot more than winter that I don't like about it.
A lot of those 18 million people are snowbirds who have their primary residence in Florida and another place up north for the summer. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to be cold. My problem is the opposite ... if I can figure out a way to get out of Florida for May-September, I'm definitely out of here. Easier said than done though with kids in school and that work thing. And that's exactly why we're looking at moving to a compromise in climate ... less summer heat, a little cold in the winter, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Yeah, snowbirds. Sure. OK. You need one of two things. A telecommuting job or a residence north of Georgia. You still won't escape summer heat though.

Now that summer is over, kick back and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
A lot of those 18 million people are snowbirds who have their primary residence in Florida and another place up north for the summer. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to be cold. My problem is the opposite ... if I can figure out a way to get out of Florida for May-September, I'm definitely out of here. Easier said than done though with kids in school and that work thing. And that's exactly why we're looking at moving to a compromise in climate ... less summer heat, a little cold in the winter, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Gonna let you guys suffer a bit more with the heat before we start sending down our secret weapons of compassion the infamous Canadian cold fronts

PS. its a joke eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando