Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you planning a move to Florida?
Yes, I have to go, job transfer, school, etc. 18 10.00%
Yes, or at least I think so 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, want out or already left! 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, love it (I'm not a FL moving co. or R.E. Agent) 73 40.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM

378 posts, read 829,889 times

Advertisements

Not sure how the post got onto people being mean in Florida.
The post is about how Florida is the most traveled to spot in the world for vacations, so people assume it is a great place to live also. So more people move here than almost every other state. Some like it, but many find they can't stand it and must get out. In 2009 alone, almost 500,000 people moved out of Florida according to census figures.

The reasons people move to Florida are obvious. The main reasons people leave are largely a "secret". If those reasons were better known, it would prevent a lot pain, both financially and emotionally. I sold hundreds of homes for people who said they just had to get out. Many of them lost a fortune, sometimes their whole nest egg. When things didn't work out as planned it was hard on young families. Pulling kids out of school in the middle of the school year, having them miss a week or two because of moving back north, then starting in a new school. For the young parents, it was often their first major life set back. Many left with nothing because their home value dropped so much in price, they lost their job, etc. Sure, it's happening every where right now, but it costs a lot more and it's more a stressful disruption to your life to move 1000 miles, than it is to move 10 miles.

Finding out Florida wasn't what they expected was hardest on seniors. Many sold a home they loved up north to move to Florida to enjoy retirement. Many bought homes in FL for cash, then sold for pennies on the dollar to get out. Every time I read a post where someone says they are "moving to Florida for the warm weather", I think WHAT? Warm weather? Its only "warm" in Florida 3, maybe 4 months a year! You have that much "warm weather" where you are moving from! The rest of the year in Florida it's hot and humid! How many times have you seen a post where someone says "I'm moving to Florida for the heat and humidity"?????

People vacation Nov-Feb, sometimes multiple times for years and it is "warm" during those times. Then then assume it's like that most of the time. It's not! They figure they can handle a hot summer because it's like that up north in the summer. It's not! They don't find out a FL summer is hotter, more humid and can last 6-9 months long, not just 3!

Anyway, the heat and humidity is just one of many reasons people leave Florida, and many times it's not the main one. I CAN say sellers never told me they were leaving because people were mean. Anyone thinking of moving to FL should try to find out why so many people are leaving, so they can see if they think those reasons may eventually affect them. It can save the prospective new resident money, stress, time, quality of life, domestic turbulence, etc. Please don't attack those that express why they were dissatisfied with life in FL. Opinions both positive and negative could help someone. Moving to FL then moving back can be a disaster, especially if you like many seniors who must own the home where they live.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I would have suggested that this poll needed at least one more question, along the lines of:

Yes, I am going to (or are considering) moving to Florida, but I will only reside in the home that I buy (or rent) as a snowbird.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Finding out Florida wasn't what they expected was hardest on seniors. Many sold a home they loved up north to move to Florida to enjoy retirement. Many bought homes in FL for cash, then sold for pennies on the dollar to get out. Every time I read a post where someone says they are "moving to Florida for the warm weather", I think WHAT? Warm weather? Its only "warm" in Florida 3, maybe 4 months a year! You have that much "warm weather" where you are moving from! The rest of the year in Florida it's hot and humid! How many times have you seen a post where someone says "I'm moving to Florida for the heat and humidity"?????

People vacation Nov-Feb, sometimes multiple times for years and it is "warm" during those times. Then then assume it's like that most of the time. It's not! They figure they can handle a hot summer because it's like that up north in the summer. It's not! They don't find out a FL summer is hotter, more humid and can last 6-9 months long, not just 3!
While this is true it depends on the person. For me, April and October are not uncomfortable. However, those that are not used to hot weather might think otherwise. I do agree that the summer months here are pretty bad...we are in that stretch right now of the worst weather we will experience in Orlando. We pay that price for what I consider to be 7 months of great weather from October through April. For those of us that absolutely hate the bitter cold, it is worth the trade-off to never have to deal with it. Orlando gets cold, but it is still nothing compared to the NE. For the most part, there is always something to complain about. For me it is picking the lesser of two evils.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 AM

44 posts, read 94,720 times
I enjoyed reading the Florida Move Guide. In my opinion, it is basically designed to talk you out of moving to Florida and investing in real estate before you've "tested" out living there. That said, I'd still move to Florida but I wouldn't buy a home there until I'm certain I can live through the "6 month" summers the author details. We'll rent for a year or two before we invest in real estate.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:40 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckypooh1972 View Post
We'll rent for a year or two before we invest in real estate.
That's what people should do no matter where they move to.

Like I said before, there are factors beyond the control of the state that people don't count on before coming. Only living here (or anywhere else you aren't from) will allow you to make the determination as to whether this (or anywhere else) will work for you.

Why anyone relocates ANYWHERE and BUYS real-estate before moving (unless they literally have the money to throw away) boggles my mind.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL little foot View Post
Lol...alrighty then.. IMO, there are rude, aggressive, mean, and nasty people everywhere. but, I'm hoping you have a wonderful evening.
I am having a great evening. We have been in Florida for a little over a month and love it thus far.

We are not used to the midnight swims, getting to the ocean without driving 10-11 hours, having something fun to do in every direction we can go.

What I have found is the constant post here about people in Florida being rude is flat out bs, we have not ran into one single rude or nasty person anywhere we have been and we have been all over Florida in our first month here. Actually people have went out of their way to be overly nice when we have questions etc.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I am having a great evening. We have been in Florida for a little over a month and love it thus far.

We are not used to the midnight swims, getting to the ocean without driving 10-11 hours, having something fun to do in every direction we can go.

What I have found is the constant post here about people in Florida being rude is flat out bs, we have not ran into one single rude or nasty person anywhere we have been and we have been all over Florida in our first month here. Actually people have went out of their way to be overly nice when we have questions etc.
This. Life is really what you make of it isn't it SunnyDays. People complain of the summer heat here, but they forget the 7+ months of excellent weather. So while our summers last a month or 2 longer than those up north, we have the rest of the year to enjoy. People up north may have a pleasant September & October, but concurrently they are bracing for a long, cold, and dreary winter. Likewise, when it finally warms up and May is nice, they are bracing for a June-August that rivals Florida's. I'll take the long stretch of heat without having to look forward to months of gray skies and ice.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 AM

238 posts, read 742,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This. Life is really what you make of it isn't it SunnyDays. People complain of the summer heat here, but they forget the 7+ months of excellent weather. So while our summers last a month or 2 longer than those up north, we have the rest of the year to enjoy. People up north may have a pleasant September & October, but concurrently they are bracing for a long, cold, and dreary winter. Likewise, when it finally warms up and May is nice, they are bracing for a June-August that rivals Florida's. I'll take the long stretch of heat without having to look forward to months of gray skies and ice.
Amen!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The same people who complain about the heat will be here complaining about the weather later this year when it cools off. They will complain that for the Sunshine State it gets chilly. Then will come the
"no snow" complainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post

Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
"no snow" complainers.
I won't complain about no snow in Florida per-se, but as I have complained everywhere else I have lived; there is just no excuse in my mind for anything other than snow falling from the sky once the temperature drops below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Oh and meteorological/rational explanations are not necessary, I did get a B in Meterology after all. I get the real reasons it "does" and really doesn't happen. I just wish snow blanketed the ground at that temperature instead of what really happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando