Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,495 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all...I hope this post finds everyone well.

I am an active duty Army Officer who will be moving to Orlando next spring to work just outside of UCF on Research Pkwy.

I have a wife and what will be a 1 year old daughter (and a dog) when we relocate.

I am currently looking for an area that would be best to live in, that is somewhat close to UCF but still safe, near things to do (grocery stores/shopping/restaurants).

We have been going back and forth between renting and buying. We'll likely only be there for 3-5 years, and not sure if we'll be able to rent our home following a change of station. We have a budget of about 300K and would be looking for 4BR/2/5BA and more then 2000 Sqft. Newer construction preferred as I do not want to deal with older homes and the issues that come with them.

Also, my wife is a Pediatric Occupational Therapist and will be looking for work in Orlando, but I have seen there are a ton of openings all over the city.

Anyone that can suggest great areas/neighborhoods would be great.

Also, if anyone knows a top notch realtor, I'd love to get in contact with them.

I'll be coming through in early Sept to browse neighborhoods, so the sooner the responses...the better.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Check out Oviedo. Most people here push Baldwin Park (a new planned community) for proximity to UCF, but in my opinion Oviedo is more family-friendly and lower density which means in most instances you don't look out your window into your neighbor's house. It's very close to UCF, not traffic congested and convenient to most of the area.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 AM

11 posts, read 17,657 times
Hi kevinfeff,
I sent you a PM, check your inbox-we just arrived here a few weeks ago-sounds like you work in the same place!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,315,116 times
If you plan to buy I would buy in the areas of Winter Park, Oviedo, or Tuscawilla as these areas are less vulnerable to market changes (not immune, less vulnerable). If you're able to find a home in either the Winter Park or Oviedo school districts you should be able to rent or resale your home just based on the demand for these schools.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM

428 posts, read 1,080,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Oviedo. Most people here push Baldwin Park (a new planned community) for proximity to UCF, but in my opinion Oviedo is more family-friendly and lower density which means in most instances you don't look out your window into your neighbor's house. It's very close to UCF, not traffic congested and convenient to most of the area.
Baldwin Park is family friendly.

Letting people know about BP is informative, not pushing. I would doubt someone in the Army or anywhere else for that matter can be "pushed" into living somewhere other than where they want to.

We are glad someone told us about BP otherwise we would have been living in Celebration which is still vey nice just to close to the attractions for us.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,495 times
Thanks for all the help. Started looking into Oviedo...looks like a great little area. Love the idea of roaming chickens (very key west).

Let me know if there is anything I should really "know" about Oviedo? Crime? Kids? Etc...

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,291,796 times
Hi

I work there myself. Good command climate, care about the soldiers, LOTS of travel. One of my two favorite Army assignments as far as a place to work.

Vote for Oviedo in Carillon just the other side of UCF from work. Established area, good schools, and can bike to work. Houses built in 90s but you can find newer homes a little farther away. But many live in Avalon Park a little further on the other side of work, and they love it. Avalon is newer and walkable but may be more of a traffic problem.

And do take a look at traffic once UCF is in session before you make a decision.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:14 AM

91 posts, read 214,201 times
Look at Winter Park (City, not just mailing address), Maitland, and Avalon Park

Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 12,834,623 times
Kevin,
There are many great areas to choose from. From Windermere to Oviedo, lake Mary into Orlando. The size and features will be feasible. If schools are important then the areas will narrow a bit but will still be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando