Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 32,637 times

Advertisements

what other grass would be feasible? My neighbor keeps patching burn and dead grass areas, but complaints that the grass keeps dying We don't live in Fla. yet, but bought our retirement house there. The asociation keeps pestering us about the lawn, but our neighbors there say that it would be a waste of our money to get rid of the St. Augustine and replace it with something else. We just don't know what to do, any suggestions?

We also need some company or responsible person to go to the house 2-3 a week to mow, trim and take care of this ugly lawn we have there now, until we can take care of it ourselves. Where can I find a company or person for this job that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for 1 hour job in a small lot?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,839,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcartier View Post
what other grass would be feasible? My neighbor keeps patching burn and dead grass areas, but complaints that the grass keeps dying We don't live in Fla. yet, but bought our retirement house there. The asociation keeps pestering us about the lawn, but our neighbors there say that it would be a waste of our money to get rid of the St. Augustine and replace it with something else. We just don't know what to do, any suggestions?

We also need some company or responsible person to go to the house 2-3 a week to mow, trim and take care of this ugly lawn we have there now, until we can take care of it ourselves. Where can I find a company or person for this job that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for 1 hour job in a small lot?

Many thanks
St. Augustine most certainly does grow in Clermont. You just have to water it twice a week and fertilize it now and then.

You don't need someone that often to care for your lawn, once a week is fine as long as the irrigation is working OK. If it's not, taht's your first step.

I'll PM you the company I use.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,295,449 times
Sometimes it's cinchbugs, I know alot of people that have chronic problems with that. It usually results in your lawn dying out in patches as opposed to the entire lawn at once. If you want to consider another type of grass, floratam and bermuda would be your options.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,839,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Sometimes it's cinchbugs, I know alot of people that have chronic problems with that. It usually results in your lawn dying out in patches as opposed to the entire lawn at once. If you want to consider another type of grass, floratam and bermuda would be your options.
That too. Pretty easy to treat as long as you use a reputable service.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,272,198 times
and suggest that you check with your homeowners association if any. they may require certain types of turf, thankfully ours has added bahia to the st augustine option.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,158,363 times
S/A can be a real pain and takes more attention. A big problem is when it is first put down, the ground under it is dead. To do a good yard, you need to really lay a good foundation. I switched to a organic S/A lawn 18 months ago and have got pretty good results, no c/bugs, much fewer weeds, but still it's a chore that won't go away. There are other grasses that require less maintenance but your HOA might not approve of them. There are more lawn care companies here than you can shake a stick at so check with a neighbor that has a good lawn and see who he uses. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,813,408 times
FYI - if you have oak trees the leaves are bad for the grass. when cutting they should be removed. otherwise your lawn will need lime. Don't mulch them but rake them.

perhaps this is a reason it wasnt working in your area.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM

429 posts, read 1,099,972 times
it also has to do with the PH and nutrients in your soil... I found out AFTER resodding that the UF tests done on it, they told me my PH was around 6.8 on their cheap test... after sending to a better lab after it wasn't doing great..it was really a 5.8 (needs to be closer to 7). I have sincebeen correcting my PH with lime and adding the needed nutrients and my lawn looks awesome.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 32,637 times
Default Thank you all for your suggestions

I will check with the HOA to see what my options are concerning which grass to put down I meant to say (in my first post) 2-3 a month for the maintenance (the less, the better).

For now, I just need to keep the S.A. looking decent (groomed), until I can go and spend some time there and fix all the little problems. The biggest problem is the lawn because it's more obvious and the HOA police pesters us about how it looks which I absolutely understand. We want the neighborhood to look presentable and cared for.

The S.A. does grow there, sure, but from what I can see and hear from my neighbors, it's a pain in the neck to maintain and keep looking healthy. I'm looking into other grasses that doesn't demand so much care and money (water bills) to maintain. From what I understand so far, they all (grasses) have their pros and cons. I just have to see what I can live with

So, I'm looking for someone to mow the lawn, do the edging and trim the bushes until I can make arrangements to bulldoze the S.A. and replace it completely, since I doubt it will be better to just treat it and bring it back to beautiful and healthy.

Weird, I have left messages to lots of companies to call me back and only 1 person did You would think that in this economy, people would at least call to see what the job entails, right? Then I hear people say that there are NO JOBS in Florida I don't get it

Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM

26,870 posts, read 43,362,269 times
There are many different kinds of St Augustine grass so be sure to ask questions when re-sodding. The Floralawn varietal seems to do well in Central Florida.

Types St. Augustine Grass|St. Augustine Varieties|Seedland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando