Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,224 times

Advertisements

This is my first time posting after a long time checking out this site. I will likely be transferring to Winter Haven due to my job. My company will be paying for the move and will provide a realtor but I am doing some research myself first to see if I even want to accept the job transfer.
I would be relocating from Long Island, NY with retired cop hubby and 2 kids in middle school. I don't want to pay more than $350k for a 2000ft+ house with 4 bedrooms. I would like something newer also, the year 2000 or later.
The school district is very important. I am used to very good schools on Long Island and we pay high taxes accordingly.
From my limited research, Winter Haven seems too small and quiet for us, almost too rural. I hear mixed things about Lakeland. Are there good areas in western Orlando that we can consider so there is more to do but we are stilll in a good neighborhood?
Please help! I need to make a decision in a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Check out Hunters Creek in extreme SW Orlando. It would actually be a fairly easy commute to Winter Haven considering the distance. There is very little rush hour traffic headed either direction and the speed limit is 70mph on I-4 (averages around 80 mph), which would be a 35 mile commute or so depending upon where in Winter Haven the job is. I would guesstimate the commute time at around 35-40 minutes. The schools in Hunters Creek are very good, both Hunters Creek Middle School and Freedom High School are both "A" rated. Good luck!

Hunter's Creek Orlando Community
Hunter's Creek Community Association, Inc - Neighborhoods

Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM

213 posts, read 658,716 times
If you want a better school district then I would avoid Polk County(where Winter Haven is).
If you don't want the long commute, I would pick Lakeland, just make sure you are in the area of 33813, and try to be zoned for Lakeland Highlands Middle, it is the best middle school in the area, unless you can get your children into Lawton Chiles, which is a magnet school. (husband works at a local middle school). Me personally I'd stay in Long Island lol but that's my opinion. Good luck either way !

Old 08-06-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks so much for the information and the links! I will definitely look into the Hunters Creek area.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks very much for responding. I had heard that Lakeland was the pace to be in Polk County as long as I am careful where.
Believe me, I would prefer to stay on Long Island too but unfortunately then I will be unemployed, and in this economy it is hard to pass up a well paying job. Is it really so bad down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando