Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM

129 posts, read 339,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Free checking is no more. If you open a checking account, you have to have a minimum balance ($500?) or direct deposit to get free checking. I don't know if/when they are converting existing Wach/WF accounts to this.
Well, it's still free if you have direct deposit. I can't envision a situation in which I would want to deposit my paper paycheck every 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I've got Chase. I have no problems

Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4powells View Post
Well, it's still free if you have direct deposit. I can't envision a situation in which I would want to deposit my paper paycheck every 2 weeks.
For me, my Wachovia/Wells Fargo checking was a secondary account that I had in since college. That is why I am dumping it.

I did see that they are piloting a monthly fee for debit card usage. It doesn't look like Orlando is one of their markets for that yet.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM

22 posts, read 32,010 times
You should consider Orlando area community banks or credit unions. Fewer fees, and you're supporting local businesses.

Some of them offer free high-yield checking accounts with free bill pay and free ATMs. Old Florida National Bank is one. It's paying 3.04% apy. Here's a review of this account and other similar Florida checking accounts.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4powells View Post
I need a good recommendation for a Bank. I'd prefer brick and mortar (not Ally) and anyone but Bank of America. I do online bill pay so they need to offer that at a reasonable rate if not free. What's the predominant bank down there? The kind that has branches in the front of megamarts?
Just curious to know why Ally isn't a good choice in your opinion? If anyone else has experience I'm interested to know too!!

I have Suntrust and I LIKE them, but I certainly don't love them.

I have mixed emotions about the Ally commercials. Using and (arguably abusing) children to make a point doesn't seem nice, but then again, the kids ARE actors and I am sure are treated very well. The points they are making in their commercials are spot on.

From the research I have done, all ATM fees are reimbursed at the end of the month no matter which one you use, so the idea that ANY bank is my bank is appealing.

I look forward to everyone's response's!!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM

22 posts, read 32,010 times
I have the Ally Bank checking account and savings account, and I've been very happy with them.

In addition to reimbursing ATM surcharges from other banks, they offer free paper checks.

One potential issue is if you need to deposit checks. They do provide postage paid envelopes, but that's slow and a hassle. However, they are slowly rolling out remote deposit capture, that will allow you to scan checks with your PC and deposit the checks online without having to worry about the mail. There's a good review of this service here.

If you need to deposit cash or if you want to handle issues with a person face-to-face, you'll need a local bank or credit union. Another option is to just have two accounts: one at an internet bank like Ally and the other at a local community bank or credit union. Ally makes it easy to move money online to and from your local bank.

Internet banks like Ally also offer the best interest rates except for community banks like Old Florida National Bank which offer high-interest reward checking accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: