Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 AM

28 posts, read 63,928 times

Advertisements

Yes Orlando is making strives in tourism it is renowned as the vacation capitol of the world but admist that Orlando lacks serious infrastructure. Central florida needs to improve in education, culture, employment, affordable housing, and access to affordable healthcare. No wonder half its residents leave each year. However we as residents need to stop complaining and start to organize there is no voice here and n very little input or contribution from its residents so no wonder there are corrupt politicians, $8 hr jobs (including proffesional feilds), no culture. We need to take a stand in our communities and city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times
Except that Orlando's prices are actually picking up this year. It might be more helpful to cite something more recent than May.

Home prices show yearly gain for first time since crash - Orlando Sentinel

Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,289,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincla10 View Post
Yes Orlando is making strives in tourism it is renowned as the vacation capitol of the world but admist that Orlando lacks serious infrastructure. Central florida needs to improve in education, culture, employment, affordable housing, and access to affordable healthcare. No wonder half its residents leave each year. However we as residents need to stop complaining and start to organize there is no voice here and n very little input or contribution from its residents so no wonder there are corrupt politicians, $8 hr jobs (including proffesional feilds), no culture. We need to take a stand in our communities and city!
I agree completely. The best ways to get involved are to organize neighborhood groups, attend town hall meetings and of course vote. Unfortunately in our society today most people are active complainers but passive problem solvers. There a reason our arena holds 18500 and our city hall auditorium a fraction of that. But it does not take much to Vote and educate others to vote. If you want to change your community, start by changing your own home, than block, than neighborhood. After that change the powers that be.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,912,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I agree completely. The best ways to get involved are to organize neighborhood groups, attend town hall meetings and of course vote. Unfortunately in our society today most people are active complainers but passive problem solvers. There a reason our arena holds 18500 and our city hall auditorium a fraction of that. But it does not take much to Vote and educate others to vote. If you want to change your community, start by changing your own home, than block, than neighborhood. After that change the powers that be.
People need to decide if they'd rather live in a city that is already soaring when it comes to arts, culture, and politics, or if they'd rather be part of the transformation. To me it's more exciting to be the change I want to see in the Metro, and it's 100% reciprocated in a booming place like Orlando. I could see how a much smaller town would get depressing since things aren't changing, but Orlando is open to and embracing massive changes everyday. Great cities weren't built in a day, and neither will Orlando be.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,512,301 times
Excellent post ORL, las vegas is changing in similar ways but not as quickly and not being embraced as unanimously

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,029,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
People need to decide if they'd rather live in a city that is already soaring when it comes to arts, culture, and politics, or if they'd rather be part of the transformation. To me it's more exciting to be the change I want to see in the Metro, and it's 100% reciprocated in a booming place like Orlando. I could see how a much smaller town would get depressing since things aren't changing, but Orlando is open to and embracing massive changes everyday. Great cities weren't built in a day, and neither will Orlando be.
You hit the nail on the head right there OrlFlaUsa, and echo my thinking exactly on that. I think it is rather absurd that people complain left, right, and center about the lack of culture for a city that is, for the most part, just a few decades old.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,480,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
You hit the nail on the head right there OrlFlaUsa, and echo my thinking exactly on that. I think it is rather absurd that people complain left, right, and center about the lack of culture for a city that is, for the most part, just a few decades old.
I agree- also, how many of the people complaining that we have no arts or culture have actually gone out to local theaters to see performances? Or go to art openings or festivals? Or go to see live music or film festivals or whatever else is going on?

I'm pretty sure some people like to complain about Orlando's lackthereof instead of embracing what we have and supporting it so that it will grow.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,912,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Excellent post ORL, las vegas is changing in similar ways but not as quickly and not being embraced as unanimously
Thanks Davie, I have high hopes for Vegas too but it seems to be lacking the separation Orlando enjoys from the Attractions area. Don't get me wrong, I've spent a lot of time in the real Vegas visiting friends who moved out there, but I think it's harder to avoid the strip out there (even just visually) than I-Drive here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Yup, 40 years ago Orlando was a fledgling metro maybe a little smaller than say Greenville, SC and is now a major metropolitan area that is known worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I agree- also, how many of the people complaining that we have no arts or culture have actually gone out to local theaters to see performances? Or go to art openings or festivals? Or go to see live music or film festivals or whatever else is going on?

I'm pretty sure some people like to complain about Orlando's lackthereof instead of embracing what we have and supporting it so that it will grow.
That's exactly right, the people I know who complain the most about Orlando have never been to a Broadway play at the Bob Carr, never seen the Orlando Ballet, never seen a play at one of our smaller theaters like Theater Downtown, Orlando Shakes, UCF, the Rep, also they've never been to the Moorse Museum in Winter Park, never been to OMART, or the Fringe Festival. They also never seek out local farm to table restaurants, never track down the food trucks, and never ever stray from the highly visible chains in the area. The same people will then complain about politics here but never read the Orlando Weekly or listen to Real Radio to get a local take on all the issues. They're also ignorant of the vast music scene available through places like the Social, Backbooth, the Plaza, and more mainstream places like HRL, HOB, and the Am.They've probably never tried riding the Lymmo downtown instead of driving, and on that note, have probably never even been downtown unless it was to pay a ticket at the courthouse. They live in their own bubble and bury their heads in the sand while this metro evolves all around them. Are things perfect...? Of course not, but there is a lot in this town if you open you eyes. And in many ways you can experience it on a more personal level than the larger, more "established/cultured" cities.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 09-15-2011 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,289,527 times
+1, +1, +1,+1 since I can't rep yall anymore.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,029,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post

Yep, and Mad Cow is about to move into a much larger space on Church St in the space above Five Guys. If nobody cared or went to their events, they would have never been able to afford to move and pay for such an upgrade. We have a lot of local theater spaces around town like you said. There is a growing number of local art galleries that are open late and serve wine now too. Local art is everywhere downtown!! And we are trying to take things to a larger and more grand scale with the new PAC. Is that not progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando