Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvan View Post
Hi Guys:

Most of you seem to miss the point of this discussion.

the question is "Why does Publix seem to have a near monopoly in South Florida"

IMO quality is NOT the answer.

I have travelled many parts of both USA, Canada & Europe.

Publix quality & choice IMO is Average. However they seem to have + - 80% of the Grocery Market presence.

Every else I have travelled no grocery store has more than + - 30-40% market penetration at most.

Is it perhaps "POLITICAL CONNECTIONS"????????????????
Upstate ny seems to be dominated by wegmans. Pittsburgh, by giant eagle. I think this happens more than you realize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Not sure where you live or shop, but Publix is far better than most grocery chains I have frequented.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 PM

59 posts, read 171,760 times
Quote:
Hi Guys:

Publix quality & choice IMO is Average. However they seem to have + - 80% of the Grocery Market presence.

Every else I have travelled no grocery store has more than + - 30-40% market penetration at most.

I moved to Austin, TX six years ago and when I got here all there is here is HEB (Publix of Texas, not as nice, but still good). There are a few Randalls (Safeways), a couple Whole Foods, a couple Fiesta (Think Sedanos), and some other local mom/pops. Albertson's left the market about 5 years ago. I wish we had a Publix (PUBLIX SUBS!!!). HEB has had trouble making any head way entering the Houston/Dallas markets, but everywhere else they dominate.

I don't think it is something nefarious or political connections. I think the market has decided that they like Publix over everything else. Just like in in Central Texas the market has decided it loves HEB.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Hi Guys:

Ridiculous. They are the best option. Winn-Dixie is gross, I won't support WalMart, Target has limited selections, and there's something off-putting about Sweet Bay to me. While Foods is too far for me to travel and Fresh Market is too expensive for day-to-day needs. That leaves Publix. I assure you that no politics are involved.

Bottom line, Publix has offered a consistently good product in consistently clean stores with consistently good service. I've seen several chains go under over the past dozen or so years, and every single one of the were either over priced, filthy, had ridiculously poor service, or any combination of the above.

By the way, You obviously haven't traveled that much. In much of NY/NJ/PA Wegmans dominates like Publix does here. In Italy COOP is the dominant player. In Canada no one comes close to Loblaws. In the UK Tesco's is by far the leader.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In much of NY/NJ/PA Wegmans dominates like Publix does here.
No they don't, there aren't enough of them to dominate. The presence of A&P, Pathmark, SuperFresh, Food Emporium, Waldbaum's, Price Chopper, Giant, Stop & Shop and Shop Rite would suggest otherwise, not to mention oodles of smaller grocery chains. Publix is a monopoly and it has nothing to do with their "legendary status" as to why competition won't come in to take them on, it's about the implementation of an expensive logistics/distribution network due to the state's geography that has kept them out.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No they don't, there aren't enough of them to dominate. The presence of A&P, Pathmark, SuperFresh, Food Emporium, Waldbaum's, Price Chopper, Giant, Stop & Shop and Shop Rite would suggest otherwise, not to mention oodles of smaller grocery chains. Publix is a monopoly and it has nothing to do with their "legendary status" as to why competition won't come in to take them on, it's about the implementation of an expensive logistics/distribution network due to the state's geography that has kept them out.
None of those other chains have a significant presence in upstate ny outside of maybe price chopper. No different than the marginal presence of aldi winn dixie goodings here

Pittsburgh is dominated by giant eagle

Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
None of those other chains have a significant presence in upstate ny outside of maybe price chopper. No different than the marginal presence of aldi winn dixie goodings here

Pittsburgh is dominated by giant eagle
Agreed. I lived in the Syracuse area for a few years and couldn't begin to tell you where there was any grocery store other than Wegman's. Same thing with Rochester, Buffalo, and the southern Tier.

Price Chopper is big in the Capital District, but Wegman's hasn't arrived yet.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Hi Guys:

Nope, I don't think so. I think it is the combination of everything that leaves them far and above other grocery stores in Florida.

1. They offer items that are wanted in each area of the state. If you don't find what you want, they will try to order it for you. It is also a plus that they cut their own meats. So the meat is weeks fresher than at some chains where they process it and ship to stores from a different location.
2. The stores are clean. The products they sell are not outdated.
3. The employees are friendly, speak to you, and are helpful.
4. They hire a lot of teens so families of the teens become loyal customers even if they weren't before.
5. The employees are generally pretty happy since they begin earning stock in the company from day 1 of theit employment.
6. So far no companies that have come into the state have really been able to compare.

Their biggest competition to date has been Winn Dixie, but in my experience the stores are not as clean, I have gotten outdated products when I have forgotten to check the dates, and employees aren't always really helpful.

Things have changed somewhat in the running of the Publix corporation since the founder died but if his family doesn't screw up they should be able to handle the competition

Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Things have changed somewhat in the running of the Publix corporation since the founder died but if his family doesn't screw up they should be able to handle the competition
Their biggest competition will come from Wegman's. Wegman's blends Publix with Whole Foods. Add in the fromagerie, the bakery (which is heads and tails above what Publix offers) and a terrific selection of Wegman's branded foods that are as good if not better than the national, plus their prepared foods areas, and Publix is going to have to step up it's game.

That said, I've noticed Publix is beginning to add in some features long found at Wegman's that until recently weren't found at Publix, including a meat counter as opposed to pre-packaged meats. Their cheese and gourmet food selection still sucks. I have to shop elsewhere to get truffles, saffron, and loose tea--all of which I can buy along with my Coco Puffs and Kleenex at Wegman's.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
see that is really cool, I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando