Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,477 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Where do most retired people choose to live in the Lake Mary, Heathrow, etc. areas? People with no children or pets?
Are there specific communities that attract the retirees?
My In-Laws plan to move to the area and are looking for a nice community, close to Lake Mary, that is more oriented to the retired age group.
Price range below $400,000.

They plan to come to Lake Mary, or surrounding area, and live in an apartment for a couple months while they search for a home. Any idea which apartment community, or private rental, would work best for them?

Best areas to live with a short commute to Lake Mary?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Sincerely,
Maddie Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

100 posts, read 328,711 times
There is an absolutely gorgeous grave yard off the side of the interstate that seems to attract a lot of retirees. The views are simply breath-taking. No kids, no pets, nothing. Very quiet and serene and no one there to annoy you with things like life.

So perf for a retiree. Florida does not have enough of them, let me tell u!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM

793 posts, read 2,523,998 times
For security and lifestyle of group or club action, walking or biking, location to shopping and medical and golfing best choice is Heathrow.

There are other smaller communities dotted throughout.

As it relates to short term rental the shortest time would be six months do to local codes, shorter time frames (short term zoned rentals) are around the Disney area.

There is an Extended Stay at the I-4 and Lake Mary exit on Greenlakes Blvd.

Hope this helps,

Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
To be honest there aren't many "retirement areas" in Orlando. There are some small communities but no real large concentration of retirees in the developed area. Most retirees tend to live spread throughout the community or just outside the fringes of Orlando in places like Debary, Deland, Mt. Dora, Space coast and Volusia coast.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
There is an absolutely gorgeous grave yard off the side of the interstate that seems to attract a lot of retirees. The views are simply breath-taking. No kids, no pets, nothing. Very quiet and serene and no one there to annoy you with things like life.

So perf for a retiree. Florida does not have enough of them, let me tell u!

Are you trying to be funny? My Mother-In-Law is dying of cancer and I'm sure she'll be in a cemetery soon enough, in the meantime, she wants to enjoy some time in Florida close to her grandkids.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
For security and lifestyle of group or club action, walking or biking, location to shopping and medical and golfing best choice is Heathrow.

There are other smaller communities dotted throughout.

As it relates to short term rental the shortest time would be six months do to local codes, shorter time frames (short term zoned rentals) are around the Disney area.

There is an Extended Stay at the I-4 and Lake Mary exit on Greenlakes Blvd.

Hope this helps,
Thank you Dave. I'll pass the information on to them.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
You might want to look into Mt. Dora. It's a picturesque old southern town with a lot of festivities that seem to cater to an older crowd. There's a really pretty downtown with lots of shops, antique stores and eateries/cafes and it's right on a huge lake if they enjoy boating. It's about 45 minutes from Lake Mary.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
You might want to look into Mt. Dora. It's a picturesque old southern town with a lot of festivities that seem to cater to an older crowd. There's a really pretty downtown with lots of shops, antique stores and eateries/cafes and it's right on a huge lake if they enjoy boating. It's about 45 minutes from Lake Mary.
Thank you... Mt. Dora sounds like a lovely town!
I plan to travel with them to the Lake Mary area in a couple weeks and we'll definitely check the area out.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
Thank you... Mt. Dora sounds like a lovely town!
I plan to travel with them to the Lake Mary area in a couple weeks and we'll definitely check the area out.
Yup, Mt Dora is it. There isn't really anything in Lake Mary but Mt Dora is a straight drive down 46 about 30 minutes. Lovely downtown and lots of retired folks.

Another option is The Villages, I think in Eustis?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Yup, Mt Dora is it. There isn't really anything in Lake Mary but Mt Dora is a straight drive down 46 about 30 minutes. Lovely downtown and lots of retired folks.

Another option is The Villages, I think in Eustis?
The Villages is it's own town another 45-60 minutes from Mt. Dora due west. I was going to suggest it but it's a pretty long commute to Lake Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando