Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,056 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm new to Florida and I recently purchased a place in Baldwin Park. I would like to get to know some people as I really don't have any friends here in Florida and I would like to get to know the people here in my community. Does anyone have any suggestions for meetings other young professionals in the area? I'm not sure if there are mixers or whatnot in Baldwin but I'd love to know if there are ..or even if there are clubs events that someone like me could attend and get to know others.

Perhaps you live in Baldwin and know of some? I know this is not the ideal place to be looking but I thought I'd post and see if I got some good responses. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I hear Caddyshanks on ladies night and during football and Magic games is a great opportunity to meet people. As a young professional there are numerous events to meet and mingle. I would suggest 1st Thursday at the museum of art, Wine Down Wednesday at Urban Flats downtown, the Eola Farmer's Market on Sundays, Graffiti Junktion on sundays if you like football, and Friday Happy Hours all over downtown are crawling with young professionals right after work hours. If you're into fitness join Orlando Sports Social league and there are alot of 5k races coming up in the fall. Most of the races have the option of allowing you to sign up as an individual and join pre-existing teams. Joining a team can be a great way to meet other young professionals. And than of course there are the numerous young professional organization. I would look for one in your particular field first and than there are more general ones as well. Also, if you have any interests in volunteering, the majority of local charities events are organized and run by young professionals so check out organizations like Make-a-Wish, Susan B. Komen, Cancer Society, etc. Now for just random meetings the best places in town are Finnhenry's, Ember, the Pourhouse, the Celt, Frank n Steins, Urban Flats, Corona Cigar bar, NV lounge, Vixen Lounge, Wall Street and Versus. It's not a bad idea to just sit at the bar and get to know the bartenders at the town center in Baldwin Park. They are used to getting to know the locals and regulars and before you know it they'll be introducing you to other patrons. You live in a great neighborhood and Orlando really is up and coming for us young professionals. I'm sure in a short matter of time you'll find your groove here.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,429 times
Have you signed up for the resident online network? Go into the front desk at Grace Hopper and ask for the website address for residents.

You will also receive a weekly email blast of whats happening in town ie this weekend is Bourban, Beer and Eats across from Grace Hopper.

The chili event and doggy derby are great in the spring; go and chat with people around you. Same with the Christmas parade, dog wash and the list goes on.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Have you signed up for the resident online network? Go into the front desk at Grace Hopper and ask for the website address for residents.

You will also receive a weekly email blast of whats happening in town ie this weekend is Bourban, Beer and Eats across from Grace Hopper.

The chili event and doggy derby are great in the spring; go and chat with people around you. Same with the Christmas parade, dog wash and the list goes on.

Thank you. I didn't even know there was such a thing as the resident online network. I will stop by the desk next time I am over there working out.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I hear Caddyshanks on ladies night and during football and Magic games is a great opportunity to meet people. As a young professional there are numerous events to meet and mingle. I would suggest 1st Thursday at the museum of art, Wine Down Wednesday at Urban Flats downtown, the Eola Farmer's Market on Sundays, Graffiti Junktion on sundays if you like football, and Friday Happy Hours all over downtown are crawling with young professionals right after work hours. If you're into fitness join Orlando Sports Social league and there are alot of 5k races coming up in the fall. Most of the races have the option of allowing you to sign up as an individual and join pre-existing teams. Joining a team can be a great way to meet other young professionals. And than of course there are the numerous young professional organization. I would look for one in your particular field first and than there are more general ones as well. Also, if you have any interests in volunteering, the majority of local charities events are organized and run by young professionals so check out organizations like Make-a-Wish, Susan B. Komen, Cancer Society, etc. Now for just random meetings the best places in town are Finnhenry's, Ember, the Pourhouse, the Celt, Frank n Steins, Urban Flats, Corona Cigar bar, NV lounge, Vixen Lounge, Wall Street and Versus. It's not a bad idea to just sit at the bar and get to know the bartenders at the town center in Baldwin Park. They are used to getting to know the locals and regulars and before you know it they'll be introducing you to other patrons. You live in a great neighborhood and Orlando really is up and coming for us young professionals. I'm sure in a short matter of time you'll find your groove here.

Thanks for all the suggestions/ advice. A bit shy here but I will have to try some of those options. Probably starting with just sitting at the bar in a few of the places in the DT Baldwin area might be good.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlando View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions/ advice. A bit shy here but I will have to try some of those options. Probably starting with just sitting at the bar in a few of the places in the DT Baldwin area might be good.
Are you in to outdoor activities? Join a running group or if you have a dog you could take them to the dog park close to Baldwin and maybe meet some friends there. Check out the "meet up" groups for your interests.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I'm a big fan of Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup. You can find groups that share your common interests.

Without it I would never have found my Chicago Bears group and watching the games wouldn't be half as much fun.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlando View Post
Not sure about sitting at a bar.

While we are not very good at going to church ourselves (4 times in 7 years) my wife and I did meet each other at ours back in Michigan.

There is a Baptist church next to Grace Hopper that we thought we might try as I would think BP residents of that religion might attend. They might have small groups; don't know since we attend St. Mattress.

We are not Baptist ourselves but 1 of our sons and his family did become Baptists in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: