Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM

444 posts, read 661,372 times

Advertisements

Apples to oranges. Remember that Los Angeles is, what, more than 10X larger than Orlando metro wise. And it's been around a lot longer. Of course you'll see a significantly larger amount of dirt and grime while the surrounding mountains trap them within. Orlando is on the map in the middle of nowhere because of a uniquely LA institution.

Urban diversity= LA
Suburban sterility=Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM

4,791 posts, read 5,953,784 times
We have visited family and friends in California since the sixties (as a child), while we have never lived there but we have explored just about every square inch of the state in the last 20 years. California is a very unique, beautiful, and geographically diverse state. It has so many amenities.

California is much more than the negative and sterotypical things people tend to see on TV. It does have it's problems and traffic, which pretty much blows a lot of visitors away when they first experience it. Do not judge a book by it's cover. The state has a lot to offer and a week in LA is no way to judge the whole state. We just recently took friends to the Griffith Observatory, Reagan Library and ate our bag lunch sitting in the Hollywood Bowl. When in LA, these are the type of things a day tourist will not see. There is so much to do in LA away from the tourist traps, but as a short time tourist you will never have the oportunity to explore.

California is not for anyone, but a visit to a few places like Carmel, Big Sur, Monterrey, Avenue of the Giants and Yosemite will surely give you a differnet view of CA. I know my daughters will be spending a lot of time traveling the Pacific Coast and visiting the National Parks in the near future. Disney will have to wait it's turn.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 10-07-2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Apples to oranges. Remember that Los Angeles is, what, more than 10X larger than Orlando metro wise. And it's been around a lot longer. Of course you'll see a significantly larger amount of dirt and grime while the surrounding mountains trap them within. Orlando is on the map in the middle of nowhere because of a uniquely LA institution.

Urban diversity= LA
Suburban sterility=Orlando
Yup that's us!!! Sure wish we were in LA walking to work, not living in detached single family houses, not driving through miles of sprawled out highway to get to the nearest store, and most certainly not having a tiny skyline/DT compared to the size of the overall metro....

Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM

3,552 posts, read 4,363,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have visited family and friends in California since the sixties (as a child), while we have never lived there but we have explored just about every square inch of the state in the last 20 years. California is a very unique, beautiful, and geographically diverse state. It has so many amenities.

California is much more than the negative and sterotypical things people tend to see on TV. It does have it's problems and traffic, which pretty much blows a lot of visitors away when they first experience it. Do not judge a book by it's cover. The state has a lot to offer and a week in LA is no way to judge the whole state. We just recently took friends to the Griffith Observatory, Reagan Library and ate our bag lunch sitting in the Hollywood Bowl. When in LA, these are the type of things a day tourist will not see. There is so much to do in LA away from the tourist traps, but as a short time tourist you will never have the oportunity to explore.

California is not for anyone, but a visit to a few places like Carmel, Big Sur, Monterrey, Avenue of the Giants and Yosemite will surely give you a differnet view of CA. I know my daughters will be spending a lot of time traveling the Pacific Coast and visiting the National Parks in the near future. Disney will have to wait it's turn.
Thank you for your precise synopsis of what California is and is not. There really is a lot out here to see. One of my favourite places (believe it or not) is Death Valley (DV) from November to April. The vastness and expanse of the place is unimaginable. I've never seen stars more clearly that in DV at night. Scotty's Castle is a "must see" and leaves one wondering how and why anyone would build such a grandiose house in such a remote place.

But, Florida is not California. It has it's own distinct and particular beauty. That being stated, I've visited the Orlando area many times given that I once owned property in Kissimmee. In 2003, my family and I took a 7 day vacation which started in Gainesville and ended in Key West. We shared our vacation with a friend who lived in Gainesville with his family.

The most memorable part of our Florida vacation began in Miami's Calle 8. We had breakfast at a mom & pop restaurant where we were made to feel like local everyday clients. We then went to South Beach. [Oh yeah baby! Toplessness rules!] I smoked Cuban hand rolled cigars at a local shop, only to be given three free samples by the more than generous owner. I smoked a total of 4 cigars and walked out with a bundle of 20. We dined at Gloria Estefan's restaurant and shopped at an outdoor mall by the marina.

We slowly made our way down to Key West, stopping at several points of interest to take in the views and scenery. We spent two unforgettable days in the warm crystal clear waters of Key West before heading north again. My adult children remember this trip with much fondness.

Don't let Los Angeles define the entirety of California. Neither let Orlando define the entirety of Florida.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM

623 posts, read 1,296,381 times
I like this post since it was something our family went over and over for years. We'd lived in a lot of places but mostly Manhattan. Everyone told us NOT to go there for etc etc etc and they were dead wrong. NYc, while not for everyone, is and always will be amazing.

The thing is there aren't really a lot of choices. You want nice weather, good or just decent public schools and affordable housing. Low taxes? Lucky if you get that.

Oh and yes -----a job in your idea of paradise would be nice. BUT if you want a good percentage of the above and BEAUTIFUL pristine beaches within a 15 minute drive, you go to SOUTH florida. LOVE LOVE it. Kids love it too. Don't knock it until you've tried it and if you get 3 out of your 5 demands, consider yourself lucky.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 AM

369 posts, read 554,880 times
But it's SOOOO humid in Florida! But you have Disney World/Epcot there - which I prefer to Disneyland.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,174,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Great debate here guys, I've been out of commission for a week or so now and was surprised to see this thread when I returned as I had been considering the same things on my own. For an avid Orlando lover like my self, it was shocking how much I loved LA (and SoCal in general) after my first visit. I've been dreaming of going back ever since and trying to do more off the beaten path. However for me it comes down to this, living in Orlando or LA is not bonafide urban living, so pick your poison. All these arguments of how much bigger of a city LA is than Orlando are fine and true, but if I were going to leave the "best of both worlds" situation that is Orlando, I'd certainly prefer to upgrade to a more traditionally urban city rather than a much larger, dirtier, and less tropical version of Orlando. Again, LA is still light years ahead of Orlando for urbanity, yet I see very little overall advantage to a life there. Now if I could afford to live on a cliff in Malibu or walking distance to the ocean in Venice Beach, then maybe it would be a different story.
Money always makes living a different story no matter the size of the city.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Default My View

Alright. I hate arguing things that are subjective, such as weather. I'm a huge weather dork. Growing up in Florida you kind of have to pay attention to the weather because it can change so fast and we experience some seriously violent weather.

So on the weather thing, I wish some people would understand that there are people who prefer HEAT & HUMIDITY over dry, nasty, Mediterranean air. I'm one of them. I'd MUCH radther have 85-100+ DEGREES AND THUNDERSTORMS FROM APRIL TO OCTOBER THEN TURN AROUND AND HAVE 70+ AND MILD WEATHER FROM NOVEMBER TO MARCH!. THATS JUST ME. i PREFER WARM. DRY AIR MAKES ME SICK AND IM FORCED TO BUY MORE CLOTHES AND USE THE HEAT, WHICH I DONT KNOW HOW TO TURN ON BECAUSE WE RUN THE AC IN MONTHS LIKE DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY AND MARCH WHEN ITS 6-12 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE COUNTRY SO I ENJOY HEAT, TO SAY THAT CALI HAS BETTER WEATHER IS SUBJECTIVE AND A VALID ARGUMENT CAN NOT BE MADE. COuld you imagine being a meteorologist in L.A., has to be so damn boring.

AS FAR AS TERRAIN GOES. I PREFER THE BEACH, FLAT LAND, GREEN, LAKES, CANALS, SWAMPLIKE LIVING. I dont know if anybody else has notices but in FLorida you can have so many living styles to choose from. Weather it's in one of these Older Traditional Neighborhoods, New Cookie Cutter Patrol Cop Neighborhoods, Highrise Downtown Living, Highrise Beachside Living, Trailor Park, Acres of Land in a Massive 3200 Sq Ft Hourse, Apartments OF All Styles, Little Villages OF Apartments With Their Own Supermarkets And Other Stores, Mini Cities Incorporated Just Enough To Measure A Population, etc. You have that here. No Mountains or Valleys but even with MOSTLY FLAT land you still have living options. I prefer FLAT LAND. I could not honestly say what I would do if the ground was to shake underneath me. Worst ground problems in Florida is SInkholes and minor flooding. Nothing like the FLooding in L.A.

As far as things to do go, pretty much L.A. in the entertainment, and food service department. Hands down. and I've never been to L.A. but I've done my research and have connections there and friends with people from there. But for outside activities I'll automatically take Florida. The whole "Cold Water" beach thing is enough to turn me away from a city no matter how much money I make. Thats my whole feeling and connection with the beach. I LOVE THE BEACH, and FLoridas beaches are crowded, but there so many miles of beach here. I know most of the coastline in Cali is inaccessible so whats the point of just looking from a multimillion dollar house? I'd rather have the opportunity to be in it and enjoy it. I love nature, green and lakes etc. We have sports too and Cali's cities are missing sports teams just like Floridas cities so there about even. IF L.A. gets a Football team, then, different story.

As far as people. I dont know. I've loved Cali people all the time, but I prefer a Floridian because our lifestyle is a tad bit (Not by much) more laid back.

As far as people

Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 PM

I forgot to add, I"LL NEVER GIVE UP MY THUNDERSTORMS.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,080,428 times
I think LA and Miami would be more of a comparison. Both are the major cities in their respective states. I have spent quite a bit of time in around Orange County, California. Not for me. Beautiful place, great weather but I cannot stand to see the smog covering the mountains... breaks my heart. Too many people, too much traffic. Cost of living is out of control.

I'll take Florida any day. I can jump on a cruise, visit the Caribbean or pop down to South America.

Does go to show though. The grass is not always greener....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando