Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Sure he could ... but he drove the same car for 10 years, didn't need 300+ channels of cable TV, an IPhone/Ipad, new jeans every year, etc.
America is a society of consumption and until we constrict our consumption, things will only get worse.
That's exactly what we need, less money flowing into the economy!!! Come to think of it, that's sort of what's going on right now. Average workers are making less and therefore have less to spend on stimulating the economy. Maybe people earning more would spend more thus creating new business opportunities for those wanting to make these millions.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Anonymous hackers aligned with the Occupy Wall Street group have threatened to take down the NYSE on Monday by infiltrating their servers.

Is this really an organization that you want to align yourself with? Do you really believe they are doing what is best for the country?
So let's see... Organization "A" (which by all accounts is not a formal organization in any sense at all at this time) makes a statement. Organization "B" decides to perform an illegal act based on organizations A's platform and Automatically Organization A is guilty by association? Great thought process there!! Seen any Black helicopters lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Riddle me this: Can the average american "grown man" of TODAY earn enough money to support a wife and kids without the wife having to work which translates to family values and good upbringing for the kids, and also be able to take the family on a two week vacation to Mexico each year, because you SURE THE HELL COULD DO THIS IN 1973! And people are trying to say that there's nothing wrong with our country now!? My father sold LIFE INSURANCE and he was able to accomplish these things. Hell, other people who were laying telephone lines were able to buy houses! People are not being paid enough to lift themselves out of slavery. Mother's cannot stay at home and raise their kids. America's going to hell in a handbag because of this.
Ditch the "riddle me this" lameness and you have something of a FAIR point.. until:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Sure he could ... but he drove the same car for 10 years, didn't need 300+ channels of cable TV, an IPhone/Ipad, new jeans every year, etc. America is a society of consumption and until we constrict our consumption, things will only get worse.
Not that this point is great, but it is a contributing factor... our Parents Didn't waste their money on cell phones, internet access, and cable TV. That would certainly put at least $150/month in almost everyone's pocket does that make a trip to Mexico with the family? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
I think they're all wrong with their zombie getup which looks more like a Halloween party than a grievance. They would be taken more seriously if all were well dressed.
I agree. The zombie thing even on MSNBC looked stupid. Watching the lard laden union reps on the Ed show last night wasn't pretty either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
That's exactly what we need, less money flowing into the economy!!! Come to think of it, that's sort of what's going on right now. Average workers are making less and therefore have less to spend on stimulating the economy. Maybe people earning more would spend more thus creating new business opportunities for those wanting to make these millions.
ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY!!! But...

This goes back to the Americans are cheap thing. I don't know how you can 'make' Americans get paid more AND turn around and spend more for things they get relatively cheap now. I think choosing price over value has become such a staple of the American psyche that it is a larger part of what is holding us back. Yes, CEO's making millions while paying insufficient wages and outsourcing is disgusting, however, it's what the cheap assed investors (us 401K holders) are paying them to do.

For all the name calling conservatives: You started two wars and a prescription plan without paying a dime for them. Now you all keep saying 'no more spending without offsetting the funding for it', yet you haven't gone back to offset the spending you created, this is what America at large is pissed about!! Don't even try to pretend this is an invalid point or not a fact, you arguments are falling on deaf ears. Good luck with name calling your way out of the problems you created.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Riddle me this: Can the average american "grown man" of TODAY earn enough money to support a wife and kids without the wife having to work which translates to family values and good upbringing for the kids, and also be able to take the family on a two week vacation to Mexico each year, because you SURE THE HELL COULD DO THIS IN 1973! And people are trying to say that there's nothing wrong with our country now!? My father sold LIFE INSURANCE and he was able to accomplish these things. Hell, other people who were laying telephone lines were able to buy houses! People are not being paid enough to lift themselves out of slavery. Mother's cannot stay at home and raise their kids. America's going to hell in a handbag because of this.
Yes. Absolutely.

My wife and I both choose to work. Either of us could quit tommorow and easily live life exactly as you describe. Stop whining. Again, I repeat, NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Why is it that one groups wants to impose taxes on another? Instead we need to roll back the taxes on those that pay the lion share and stop funding this group that does little for the masses.... except work to keep them in line.

Social disturbances are good for the Muslim world...Why not us? Who needs it more? If anyone needs democracy its the US. We have been the ultimate experiment in it yet we have turned our back on the very principles.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
Fox News...Yeah, how original. You know what? While you're down at the protest, tell all of your hippie ass, non showered, losers to **** and get a job! Also....Instead of bitching about it....go out and make your own millions? Oh...It's not easy? No $hit! It wasn't for the people who are self-made millionaires today. Oh, and i'm one of those people who depend on "the rich." I fly them around on their corporate jets. They use the jets as a corporate tool to make more money, to hire more people, and to create more wealth for others...What the frick are you doing?
If you're not the poster child for a Clueless American I don't know who is.
A job? You mean all people have to do is go get one? What a great idea! Thank god we all live with such intelligent people like yourself.
Surely you can enlighten us as to where these employers have been hiding for the past few years. I'm thinking the frequent trips into high altitude as a servant to the 1% has clouded your perception of reality. The protest actually featured lots of normal looking people ranging from retirees to middle-aged couples, out of work younger professionals and current students who all looked freshly showered and none of whom seem focused on making millions, rather fed up with those swell people you work for who delight in bending the rest of us over for every cent they can get. Once again if you were to utilize news services other than FoxNews you might actually get a dose of reality of the world around you, though like many you seem perfectly satisfied with your own parallel universe.

In terms of "what the frick am I doing", I worked as a Retail Store Manager for 13 years before the company I was working for downsized because most people stopped buying high-end products because they were either out of work or fearful of losing their jobs too. No one is hiring in the Retail industry and if they are they're looking for someone with little experience they can pay the most menial wage. It's not a unique situation by any means and pretty much symbolic of the 30 million or so currently unemployed Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
That's the problem. They can't make their own millions (or evidently much of a living period.) So they rant and rave and complain and want the government to take care of them. Whaa whaa. . .
Quote:
Yes. Absolutely.
My wife and I both choose to work. Either of us could quit tommorow and easily live life exactly as you describe. Stop whining. Again, I repeat, NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING.
^^^ Have either of you read a newspaper or anything meaningful regarding the current lack of jobs in the US say in the past three years or do you live in some kind of self-contrived denial-world?? No wonder this country is so messed up.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 AM

The Orlando group and at this point nearly 100 other chapters in other cities across the country have adopted this declaration released last night by the Occupy NYC group.

Declaration of the Occupation of New York City

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts. *

To the people of the world,
We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!

*****Also as read by Keith Olbermann last night on MSNBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8o3p...&feature=share

Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of "what the frick am I doing", I worked as a Retail Store Manager for 13 years before the company I was working for downsized because most people stopped buying high-end products because they were either out of work or fearful of losing their jobs too. No one is hiring in the Retail industry and if they are they're looking for someone with little experience they can pay the most menial wage. It's not a unique situation by any means and pretty much symbolic of the 30 million or so currently unemployed Americans.
<- An Accurate Representation of Occupy Orlando

If this group of crybabies put half the effort they put into creating this ridiculous list into finding a job, maybe they wouldn't have such a chip on their shoulders.

Last edited by idr591; 10-06-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
<- An Accurate Representation of Occupy Orlando
What an intelligent, insightful response. I can see where years of education didn't go wasted with you!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
If this group of crybabies put half the effort they put into creating this ridiculous list into finding a job, maybe they wouldn't have such a chip on their shoulders.
Maybe through your "pure genius" you can enlighten the less fortunate with where all of these jobs are located...??

Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Maybe through your "pure genius" you can enlighten the less fortunate with where all of these jobs are located...??
How long have you been out of work ? Are you looking for work in only your area of expertise ? During the Great Depression, people did anything for a buck ... times are tough now ... go cut lawns, landscape or pick fruit for awhile. No day laborer jobs in Orlando ? Thought of retooling while you look ? A lot of people think they are above certain types of jobs. Swallow your pride and work a lesser paying job until something better comes along. If all else fails, pick up and move to a location where you can get a job. Sometimes you have a take a step back before taking two steps forward.

You want to rich to pay more taxes ? For what ? To subsidize programs such as welfare & food stamps so lazy people have more incentive to sit on their arses and do nothing for longer ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando