Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 PM

228 posts, read 536,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmkwray View Post
Just happened on this--Is "Ice Cold Auto Air" still on the corner of Colonial and ?
Fern Creek, yes it is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 PM

6 posts, read 26,408 times
Lightbulb A few more missed places

I grew up in the 436 / 50 area from the early 70's to the mid 80's a remember a few places that have not been listed yet.

Polar Cup (the best darn frozen lemonade around with pieces of real lemons in it) I believe the store was in the Conway area but they did have some vans that roamed the area.

Someone mentioned JM Fields but didn't mention Pantry Pride grocery store attached to it.

And I'm surprised nobody mentioned the original Krispy Kreme store that was on 50 (Colonial Dr.) and Maguire that actually had a lunch counter where you could also get sandwiches and such. They also had a large window facing Hwy 50 where you could watch the donuts travel thru the machines before hitting the hot oil. The story I remember was that Krispy Kreme needed more land for parking or something and the owners of the adjacent land would not sell any to them........If memory serves right the owner of that land was TGLee Dairy. So does that mean the Milk company helped chase away the Donut shop? I know the store wound up being a jewelry store for a while after that.

I miss the Putt-Putt golf course that used to be down Hwy 50 almost across from the Colonial Drive In.

I also miss the McDonald's that was on the corner of Hwy 50 & Humphries Ave. when the Big Mac Attack craze was going full steam......I used to go there every day after school and recite the Big Mac slogan in under 3 seconds to get a FREE Big Mac (ya'll remember how it goes 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun).

Also, Jim Hollis (I hope that's right) Dive shop on the corner of 50 & Old Cheney Hwy.....and just down & across the street was Mad Man Kirk's fishing store (2 story building)...the largest of the time that I knew of.

I look forward to seeing posts of other places that have come and gone during this time frame. Thanks for the memories ya'll

Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,831 times
I would love to reconnect with anyone who went to ABC Lounge, Park Avenue, Tropicana, or Rosie O'Gradies during 1980 - 1983. If your out there, say hello... I remember a DJ named Angel Cabrera from Tropicana. Anyone know what happened to him? I was part of a large Hustle crowd from those days.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 57,650 times
I was a regular at Phoggs back then... I also DJed all over Orlando.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM

35 posts, read 132,320 times
Anybody remember Max's Hungry Bear on highway 50?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Jungle Jim's. That was always such a fun restaurant to go in the 90's, but it closed a few years back.

I don't remember a lot of these places, but Mystery Funhouse was mentioned... I remember going there when I was about 7 and thinking it was gross.. when even the kids are disgusted, you know your place is headed downhill!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 PM

How about when the CNA building was the only building in the Orlando skyline?

Also there was a record store on Orange Avenue downtown and they used to have records all over the place. Was it Southern Music?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Does anyone remember when OIA was called McCoy Airport?
I remember when I was a kid and they didn't even have covered catwalks to the terminal. You have to walk down those wheeled steps....like the Beatles.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM

I remember a go-kart place on the corner of Colonial and Goldenrod Road. I can't remember the name though.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:10 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
I'm always surprised when people say "I'm surprised nobody said....."

Just mention what you remember!

Like Max's Hungry Bear....I had forgotten about that!

I was on Fairbanks a couple days ago and remembered the fun we had at FBI(Fairbanks Inn) and the original JJ Whispers.

Or when we wanted to "slum" it we'd go to Saints and Sinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando