U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 22,555 times
I remember when University Blvd was two lanes and called FTU blvd.
When Fashion Square was a cow pasture owned by TG Lee
Ronnie's at Colonial Mall
Two Flights up on Park ave
The Bubble room
94th Areo Squadron
Uncle Hubie
Remember when the "Marijuana Grower's of America" left a paper bag with $20,000 in cash at the Muscular Dystrophy Telethon at Winter Park Mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 13,493 times
leedy's around the corner
East India company for grilled cheese and oreo ice cream and Park Promenade just closed.
so sad......

Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 13,493 times
Remember Jacobson's. I used to love to shop there at the junior's section and buy prom dresses or at Gibbs louis. Had my first pedicure at the old Gibbs the day before my wedding. Now pedicures are no big deal.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 17,040 times
Default Wigwam Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalt10 View Post
There used to be a motel on OBT that was Indian Tee Pee's. That was way back.

That was Wigwam Village
Attached Thumbnails
Some Orlando Institutions Long gone-ww4orl.jpg  

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Ronnie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character99 View Post
Hello,I lived in Maitland, Florida for most of my life. I'm doing a huge project and am looking for photos of many of the old landmarks that are no longer standing. Here's the list: Goonie Golf, Brunswick Medallion Lanes, Little 500, Infinite Mushroom, Ronnie's Restaurant, Little Big Horn, Custard's Last Stand, Goodings Grocery Store, Winter Park Mall, Dapper Dan's Ice Cream, Zayre's Department Store, Woolworth's Department Store.If anyone can help me, please respond to this message. thank you
Here's a picture of Ronnie's
Attached Thumbnails
Some Orlando Institutions Long gone-ronnies-orlando.jpg  

Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Default The Painted Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhoward View Post
Oh, man, I could go on forever with wonderful things in Orlando that are long gone. How about:

Tom's Pizza (best 15 cent slice EVER)
Fairway Markets
Jordan Marsh
Ivey's dept. store (esp. old one at Orange & Central)
Ivey's drug store (S. Orange & Gore, northeast corner) (unrelated to dept. store)
Enzor's Pharmacy (Amelia @ Orange - best 99 cent lunch)
Walgreen's coffee shop and liquor store (near current store, Colonial & Bumby)
Morrison's cafeteria (esp. old one on West Central downtown)
San Juan Hotel downtown
Beacham Theater downtown
Vogue Theater (Mills & Colonial, northeast corner)
Old Sears downtown
Zayre
J.M. Fields
Grandway (Parkway Plaza, way before John Young Parkway was a major road)
Montgomery Ward
Parliament House when it was the home of the Orlando Panthers football team
Reed Motors (Rambler/AMC)
City of Cars (when they were across from Colonial Plaza)
Dobbs House (coffee shop)
Ronnie's Restaurant (wonderful, campy deli restaurant at Colonial Plaza)
Miller's department store
Sear's (Colonial & McGuire, long before there was a Fashion Square)
WLOF Channel 95 (950-AM radio, top 40)
WLOF-TV Channel 9
WDBO-TV Channel 6
Cherry Plaza Hotel - w/wonderful Columbia Restaurant (may have been Park Plaza by that time)
George Stuart office supplies - superstore before anyone heard of superstores
W.T. Grant (dime store) - best hot dogs I ever had, and they had a conveyor belt to bring food out
Robert Meyer Hotel downtown. Really upscale in its day
Denmark's Sporting Goods
Art deco-style Publix stores in S. Mills and S. Orange
Colonial 5 & 10 (2 locations)
Slogging up US-92 to go to Sanlando Springs or Daytona Beach (no interstate in those days)
Old jail and police station downtown, across from Downtowner hotel (horrible, ancient facility even then)
Dixie Barbour, supervisor of elections, a real character
Orlando Evening Star newspaper
Corner Cupboard newspaper
Aunt Martha's ice cream and lunch counter (S. Orange)
Ferdy's roast beef sandwiches
Page's drive in
Curb service at Steak n Shake
Frisch's Big Boy
The Clothes Horse men's clothing
Gene Burns on WKIS AM radio
John's Hardware, Bumby & South
Reversible middle lane on South St (pre-freeway, when Anderson stopped just past Mills)
Dairy Lane drive-thru milk and ice cream
Major Mercury (kids' show on channel 9)
Uncle Walt (kids' show on channel 6)
Popeye (kids' show on channel 9)
Charles Stump (meteorologist on channel 2, later on 9. "Good evening, everyone.")
Atlantic weather show (sponsored by Atlantic gasoline, channel 6, weatherman dressed as pump jockey)
Top Value stamps (primarily from Winn-Dixie)
S&H stamps (primarily from Publix)
Plaid stamps (from A&P)
A&P

I could probably think of 20 more. Wonderful memories.
Anyone remember the Painted Horse on Colonial Drive in the mid-60's? All you could eat for $ .99 served SmorgAstyle!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Lake Estelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideart View Post
WORJ, used to broadcast "Only the Shadow Knows". Prior to that it was known as an "Underground" station. The only station that had the guts to broadcast Jimmy Hendrix's "Star Spangle Banner". They had their studios in an orange grove, near Mt. Dora to fool the "Red-Necks".

Remember when the Eola fountain was named the Centennial Fountain in 1957.

Orlando Senior High School was the only high school in Orlando. Buddy Ebson went there, along with my Mother.

Magnolia Avenue was a two lane brick street with a canopy of oak trees.

Memorial Junior High Schools band room was on the "Roof Garden".

You could swim in most any lake in Orlando. Lake Lorna Doone had two swimming docks and Lake Estell was a second city sponsored swimming lake.

Need I say more, I've been here since '42.

I learned to swin at Lake Estelle in 1949. Remember the Solarium?
Attached Thumbnails
Some Orlando Institutions Long gone-solarium-lake-estelle.gif  

Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 PM

5,441 posts, read 6,845,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew mom View Post
leedy's around the corner
East India company for grilled cheese and oreo ice cream and Park Promenade just closed.
so sad......
when you say park promenade, do you mean the shopping center in pine hills? where publix, K-mart, and the Hiawassee Library used to be?

Publix is now a Super Beauty Supply Depot, K-Mart is now "J-MArt" (seriously? ) and the Hiawassee Library has relocated for a second time. I remember when they moved it from the Home Depot plaza on West Colonial and Hiawassee to Park Promenade back around 1999-2000

And now it is across the street from the Home Depot Plaza it was located in, it is behind the West Colonial Ale House now

I also heard the West Oaks Mall has closed down. Is this true?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,288 times
Default Memories at Sun State Roller Rink

Sun State Roller Rink - WOW what memories! I skated there with my sister and cousins whom owned the rink. I remember watching Eric and Tina skate sooo much talent! RIP Eric you are missed! It was here that my childhood memories and dreams began and ended. And oh to skate couples with Lee or Gordon! They were teenagers and I was all of 12! Taking lessons from George Duffy and skating with him as my partner for my tests in Dance - oh to only go back to those times when life seemed simple.
Going to the mall in-between lessons was a treat. I miss those hamburgers at Crystals! Another great time was the Jerry Lewis Telethon at the rink.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,127 times
wow bringing back some great memories I grew up in orlando went to colonial high I performed in the haunted house of Glenn Turner for the Jaycees wow it was great Haunted House I was devil in the monster mash area that year and they put my face on the cover of insert that sunday paper I was made up like kiss on the face. Wow so much fun I miss Orlando and the Good ole days ! Is the Lacantina resturant still there on hwy 50 ? That was back was gas was 29cents a gal and smokes were 48 52 cents with tax lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando