U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,512 times

Advertisements

If you want to really go back remember Sunbrock Speedway
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc2 View Post
OFF the WALL....remember the coliseum skating rink on Orange ave??
It was the Inferno first

Old 10-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Yes it was Southern Music. I used to get records there all the time.
Great southern music hall

Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhoward View Post
Oh, man, I could go on forever with wonderful things in Orlando that are long gone. How about:

Tom's Pizza (best 15 cent slice EVER)
Fairway Markets
Jordan Marsh
Ivey's dept. store (esp. old one at Orange & Central)
Ivey's drug store (S. Orange & Gore, northeast corner) (unrelated to dept. store)
Enzor's Pharmacy (Amelia @ Orange - best 99 cent lunch)
Walgreen's coffee shop and liquor store (near current store, Colonial & Bumby)
Morrison's cafeteria (esp. old one on West Central downtown)
San Juan Hotel downtown
Beacham Theater downtown
Vogue Theater (Mills & Colonial, northeast corner)
Old Sears downtown
Zayre
J.M. Fields
Grandway (Parkway Plaza, way before John Young Parkway was a major road)
Montgomery Ward
Parliament House when it was the home of the Orlando Panthers football team
Reed Motors (Rambler/AMC)
City of Cars (when they were across from Colonial Plaza)
Dobbs House (coffee shop)
Ronnie's Restaurant (wonderful, campy deli restaurant at Colonial Plaza)
Miller's department store
Sear's (Colonial & McGuire, long before there was a Fashion Square)
WLOF Channel 95 (950-AM radio, top 40)
WLOF-TV Channel 9
WDBO-TV Channel 6
Cherry Plaza Hotel - w/wonderful Columbia Restaurant (may have been Park Plaza by that time)
George Stuart office supplies - superstore before anyone heard of superstores
W.T. Grant (dime store) - best hot dogs I ever had, and they had a conveyor belt to bring food out
Robert Meyer Hotel downtown. Really upscale in its day
Denmark's Sporting Goods
Art deco-style Publix stores in S. Mills and S. Orange
Colonial 5 & 10 (2 locations)
Slogging up US-92 to go to Sanlando Springs or Daytona Beach (no interstate in those days)
Old jail and police station downtown, across from Downtowner hotel (horrible, ancient facility even then)
Dixie Barbour, supervisor of elections, a real character
Orlando Evening Star newspaper
Corner Cupboard newspaper
Aunt Martha's ice cream and lunch counter (S. Orange)
Ferdy's roast beef sandwiches
Page's drive in
Curb service at Steak n Shake
Frisch's Big Boy
The Clothes Horse men's clothing
Gene Burns on WKIS AM radio
John's Hardware, Bumby & South
Reversible middle lane on South St (pre-freeway, when Anderson stopped just past Mills)
Dairy Lane drive-thru milk and ice cream
Major Mercury (kids' show on channel 9)
Uncle Walt (kids' show on channel 6)
Popeye (kids' show on channel 9)
Charles Stump (meteorologist on channel 2, later on 9. "Good evening, everyone.")
Atlantic weather show (sponsored by Atlantic gasoline, channel 6, weatherman dressed as pump jockey)
Top Value stamps (primarily from Winn-Dixie)
S&H stamps (primarily from Publix)
Plaid stamps (from A&P)
A&P

I could probably think of 20 more. Wonderful memories.
chastains, shieks, pine hills drive-in

Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM

416 posts, read 630,352 times
- Terror on Church Street
- Zuma Beach
- the Sanford Drive in Theater
- Georgia Pig BBQ in Sanford
and I DO NOT miss that obnoxious redneck who used to bellow, "They aint so sub like a Sobiks sub, " and "Save Dollas at Holla, Cha Cha Cha."
but
I do miss when Larry the Cable guy was a local call in guest on the local radio stations here.
Drew Garabo
Bubba Whoop-ass Wilson

Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM

288 posts, read 395,425 times
That was pretty bad about Bubba. I miss him! And then there was Shannon, I guess he's gone too.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,054 times
i MUST BE REALLY OLD BECAUSE I REMEMBER IT ALL!!!
SKATING AT THE COLISEUM EVERY FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT
MEMORIAL JR HIGH-went there
DINNER DATES WITH MY DAD AT RONNIES WITH DESERT AT DIPPER DAN AND A MOVIE AT COLONIAL PLAZA
INCENSE AND... FROM INFINITE MUSHROOM
FIRST CONCERT OUT TOWARD BITHLO (Sonny and Cher) SAME PLACE ALL THE WRESTLE INSANITY BEGAN
RACING 1/4 MILE OUT AT BITHLO WITH BAGS OF TACOZ FROM TACO TICO TO MUNCH ON
SATURDAYS AT WINTER PARK MALL (Jordan March, Ivey and Belks-outfit for first concert from Ivey's) WATCHING THE BRIDES WHIL GRAM SHOPPED
SKIING LAKE BUTLER CHAIN AND SWIMMING IN BEAR LAKE AT DADS
GOING TO DISNEY AND PAYING ONLY ADMISSION AND USING ALL THE "E" TICKETS WE COULD FIND, BUY OR SCROUNGE, 'CUZ THEY GOT YOU ON
ALL THE GOOD RIDES!
DRIVING LB MCLEOD ONE NIGHT WHEN KINGS RANCHES COWS WERE OUT ROAMING ALL OVER THE DIRT ROAD
SEEING THE JAIL "FARM" ON 33RD STREET ACTUALLY FARMED
TAKING DANCE LESSONS AT BUDDY EBSENS DANCE STUDIO, BEING TAUGHT BY THE HEAD CHOREOGRAPHER AT DISNEY
DANCING AT DISNEY DURING WINTER AND SUMMER BREAKS
PROM IN THE AMERICA'S BALLROOM OUT AT THE NEW CONTEMPORARY HOTEL- TOO STONED TO REMEMBER MUCH EXCEPT SPILLING ROOT BEER
DOWN THE FRONT OF MY DRESS AND AND HAVING TO STOP AT STUCKEYS IN BUENA VISTA TO GO RINSE IT OUT AND DRY IT--- AND GOING TO
DENNY'S ON I DRIVE FOR BREAKFAST AND SOMEONE KEYING THE CAR WITH F---YOU SO WE HAD TO DRIVE AROUND DAYTONA WITH TOWELS
HANGING OVER THE SIDES OF THE CAR TO HIDE IT.---crazyyyyyy
GOING TO COLLEGE AND TUTORING ARABS, WHEN THAT WAS OKAY AND WE WERE ALL EQUALS
PARTYING AT "PARK AVENUE" ON NOBT WITH FRIENDS FROM EVERYWHERE-i did my very first "appearance" in Annie Get Your Gun on the stage in this same building
when it was Orange Blossom Theatre, spending summers with Dad watching rehearsals for the next play, first "crush" on Christopher Cortez while he was playing Patrick
in Auntie Mame--- whooooo the time the balconies!!!!!! ENDED UP MEETING AND GETTING MARRIED IN SAME BUILDING 30 YEARS LATER.
GOING TO PARLIAMENT HOUSE FOR ALL THE DIFFERENT CLUBS INSIDE UNTIL JJ WHISPERS FINALLY OPENED WITH SAME STYLE
GETTING LEFT ON THE DANCE FLOOR FOR DANCING TO JANET JACKSONS "CONTROL" BECAUSE I WAS BEING TOO DIRTY
HAVING MY SON AT WPMH, THEN ONE AT ORMC THEN ONE AT FH.

GROWING UP IN ORLANDO---- SAFE AND UNAFRAID TO GO ANYWHERE-- WE IT EVER BE THAT WAY AGAIN?

Last edited by eema4u; 11-27-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

98 posts, read 221,575 times
Didn't Johnson's Diner just go under as well?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston_in_the_Pines View Post
Didn't Johnson's Diner just go under as well?

Yes...sadly Johnson's Diner just closed.....couldn't make it thru the nearby construction I guess.

And I don't think I've ever heard Sam Behr called a redneck before...annoying yes....redneck no.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Smile orlando institutions long gone

Pre Navy Base it was an Air Force Base. They used to fire up stationary mounted jet engines daily. We lived right on the other side of the fire alley which is now General Reese Blvd. Spent many days in "the base woods".
Entered the woods at Corrine Dr and Gen. Reese and only crossed Lakemont Ave at the back entrance to the base. Other than that it was woods and pastures all the way to Goldenrod and beyond. The Officers club, the NCO Club both on the lake. 10 cent movies at the base theater. 5 cents a game at the bowling alley. No my parents weren't in the military. We just rode our bikes through the main gate and had free run of the place.

The 12 oclock siren

Belks @ Colonial Plaza (couldn't afford 6 dollar Levis). music dept also. bought most of my early albums there, you picked an album from the bins and took it to a booth to check it out before you bought it.

Went to Auduban Park, Glenridge, the old Winter Park High, Mid Fla Tech,FTU(now UCF)

Winter Park Drive in ( smuggled in in the trunk)

Swam in a clean Lake Eola, Lake Barton, Lake Sue. Daughter learned to swim at Dinky Dock with Fleet Peeples. She made the cover of the Orlando Sentinel jumping out of the canoe in the middle of the lake to swim to the dock.

The llamas at the old Sanford zoo spitting at you

The pristine publicly accessable Butler Chain of Lakes

Do believe those really were the good ol days

Wow running out out of space and getting depressed. The Orlando in this thread is sooo long gone thanks to Disney. Only my opinion but Orlando stinks now days. No one wanted to save the past, just knock it down and put up something better. News flash, it didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando