U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,139 times

Advertisements

- Walt Disney World Preview Center
- Chris' Truck Stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,085 times
Many of your posts bring a lot of great memories;sadly some are gone, others have been "improved" beyond recognition. I remember in WP Le Cordon Bleu Restaurant that burned down, Club Juana on 17-92 & 436;great memories of Picadilly's and Morrison's. The first time I visited Orlando in 1975 we landed on a very sad airport -compared with what we have now. I don't live in Orlando any longer but I always consider Orlando home;other places I've lived are just that, places, but Orlando will always be Home!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
Default Much has changed since 1993! WOW!!!

Interesting...I returned to Orlando after departing in 1993 and a lot has changed. I remember the following places TG&Y, Zayre, Melting Pot, Pine Hills Skate Center, Walmart (On 50 and Pine Hills), Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Taco Tico, Pizza Inn, Upton's, Belk Lindsay, Denim World, The Golden Pagoda, Skaggs Albertson's, Jack-N the-Box, Put-Put Golf, Dairy Queen, Colonial Promenade Theater, The Drive in on HWY 50 and Pine Hills Rd, Arthur Treachers, The Pine Hills Movie Theater, Terror On Church Street, Mystery Fun House, Miami Subs, Table Supply (grocery store), Wool Worth's, McCrory's, Montgomery Ward's, Service Merchandise, Goodings, Pizza Quik, The Ice Skating Rink and Fun Machine!! Wow!! Where did all those places go??

Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,738,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlnastalgia View Post
Interesting...I returned to Orlando after departing in 1993 and a lot has changed. I remember the following places TG&Y, Zayre, Melting Pot, Pine Hills Skate Center, Walmart (On 50 and Pine Hills), Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Taco Tico, Pizza Inn, Upton's, Belk Lindsay, Denim World, The Golden Pagoda, Skaggs Albertson's, Jack-N the-Box, Put-Put Golf, Dairy Queen, Colonial Promenade Theater, The Drive in on HWY 50 and Pine Hills Rd, Arthur Treachers, The Pine Hills Movie Theater, Terror On Church Street, Mystery Fun House, Miami Subs, Table Supply (grocery store), Wool Worth's, McCrory's, Montgomery Ward's, Service Merchandise, Goodings, Pizza Quik, The Ice Skating Rink and Fun Machine!! Wow!! Where did all those places go??
There are very few Albertsons left in the metro but they still exist, there is also still dairy queen and put put golf (Congo river).. I'm 19 so I don't remember most of those places, but I do remember Miami subs in my early elementary school days.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM

20 posts, read 27,700 times
Taco tico? Thats my favorite.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,125 times
Default Fun

What a fun thread! I saw this the other day when I was looking up the Park 11 theater I only moved her in the early '90s but I must of seen a thousand movies there! It is hard to imagine that they used to have sold out showings! I was thinking about all the other theaters in the area that closed- the 2 over by Fashion Square. One was the Fashion Square 7 and I think the one by the Toys-r-us was a AMC. Were there 2 or 3 in the Altamonte area? I can't seem to remember. That was back in the day when we would get the calendar section of the newspaper and read all the movie descriptions. They were all listed on one page in their own little box.

Anyhow today I was thinking about how Macys used to be Burdines (which wasn't all that long ago). Every time my husband and I go to the Fashion Square mall I am always telling him about how the Rave and Regis were upstairs. Remember the little train by the food court. I found a cool web site about the Colonial mall, WP mall and Fashion square if any of you have interest it is... MALL HALL OF FAME: Orlando-Lakeland Malls

I had one question for you guys. Remember when Baldwin park was first being built and the rumor was that the big ship you could see from the road was going to stay in place and be made into a playground. Whatever happened with that?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,738,963 times
^^^ I remember the train in the fashion square food court, I loved that thing. Me and my sister rode it all the time when we were little kids.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
80s baby born and raised in Lockhart so my memories are a little more "recent".

El Pollo Loco at OBT and Clarcona next to Burger King

Quincy's Buffet on OBT thats now Wing House

Night Moves in Longwood (teen club put on in a warehouse)

Club La Vela (Lee Rd and Adanson)

Swimming at Lake Fairview

My mom worked at Holiday House on Lee Rd. for years... Didn't have babysitter so I was in the back most days... used to LOVE when I'd get a slice of black forest choclate cake.

Kody's on 17-92 (used to have a car hang out where I first saw lowriders)

The bus transfer at the Winter Park Art Mall well after the mall had closed down (haha, so dirty)

Ch. 6 doing it's thumbs up thing at end of news, and yes I was on there as a kid at Winter Park Mall

Barnett Bank on Lee Road (used to collect and roll pennies and take up there to cash out)

Danny Treanor drunk on WFTV haha

I'm sure I'll remember more to add later.

MY QUESTION THOUGH: Where was the Big Boy's on Colonial?... because I always thought it was where Denny's became across from Fashion Square but others say it was down like where Kobe's was that burned down. Anyone remember for sure?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,099 times
MY QUESTION THOUGH: Where was the Big Boy's on Colonial?... because I always thought it was where Denny's became across from Fashion Square but others say it was down like where Kobe's was that burned down. Anyone remember for sure?

Yes it burnt down a few years ago.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 14,099 times
Default A True Native that loves to talk...

I came across this site by accident today when I was looking up some references to Steve's Southern Music Store in downtown on Orange Ave. I used to have a collection of 4000+ 45's, LP's and the like that I got most from that little store. I know he closed his store... then sometime later, that building burnt down.
I was born at Orange Memorial Hospital in 1954 and have lived here my whole life (except from 68-72) in Jax. FL. I attended Rock Lake Elementary (on Tampa Ave.) (not too far from the Western Way Shopping Center) then we moved to the Pine Castle area where I attended Pine Caslte Elementary 3rd thru the 6th grade... went to Judson Walker Jr. Hi (when it was brand new - a portion of the first year we had to meet at Oak Ridge until the school was finished) I was there 7th and 8th... that's when we went to Jax. We came back my senior year - and I spent my last semester at Oak Ridge High School and graduated in 1972.

There was Southern Fruit at the location of Orange & Pineloch). My dad worked there many years until the brothers sold the plant to Donald Duck orange juice in Haines City.

One of my favorite restaurant of the 60's - The Painted Horse (all you could for 99 cents). That was located on E. Colonial around the Hernond airport. Another resutarant I recall was the Sundown Resturant on the south OBT next's to Red's Market... that's back before Red's was still a fruit & vegetable stand and a hurge corporation that i't's turned into.

I can remember as a kid catching the yellow and gree city buses for a dime (or a quarter I don't recall at the moment( and going downtown to do to Sears, J.C. Penney's, Iveys, all the 5 & 10 cent stores, (like Mccroy's... Kresses...) There used to be a newspaper/magazine shop I'd go to buy my wrestling magazines from. (There was also a Morrison's Cafeteria downtown as well. It was during the time that I was in Jax, when Sears was the first to leave the downtown area and they moved to the corner of Magure and E. Colonial. Then they built the Fashion Sqaure Mall around the Sears store.

Speaking of wrestling, before they moved to Pete Ashlock's Sportatorium in November 1967 - the main event was Eddie Graham and Johhny Valentine... they used to wrestle at the American Legon Hall on Lake Ivahoe. I went all the time as a kid with my grandparents. My grandpa would have to go early to put the wrestling ring together for Milo Steinborn who was the promoter who also owned a gym on Orange Ave, just south of Princeton Ave.
In earlier posts, some have mentioned the two orignal McDonalds - on E. Colonaial and on W. Colonial. My cousin was the manager of both of these.
The two Royal Castle's that I recall... on the corner of W. Colonial and Kirkman... (building is there - a Mr. Quick family style restaurant.... and one over on Curry Ford/Bumdy area.

As a kid we used to go to Aunt Martha's Home made ice cream on Orange Ave, just north of Michigan.
I don't think I saw anyone mention the Orlando Drive In on the corner of Gore and the OB Trail. Up the road from there was The Big Apple - a two story department store. (Later became the Big Bee.) Building is still there. The East-West wiped out the Wig-Wam hotel. Another landmark hotel was the Tour-a-tell motel just south of 441 and 50 - with the neon sign of a guy jumping off a diving board in neon. There was a Park 'n Shop grocery store on Gore, just west of 441.
Most of the time when you saw a T G & Y store, there was an Eckerd and a Winn-Dixie close by. This was the case in the strip mall in Pine Castle between Orange Ave. and Hansel Ave on Hoffner. (Remember what T G & Y stood for?)

How about the Inferno on the South Trail? Two night clubs inside - The oldies club was called the Golden Rock that the group "Clutch" would perform and the other a strip club. If my memory serves me correctly the building itself was called the Golden Rock before it changed names to Off the Wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando