Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 37,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Man, that's a flash from the past! BJ105 - that cracked me up.

I remember most of those except: Gimme Shelter

See if you remember any of these old bits of Orlando trivia (some of which are still here):

Kappy's Subs
Orange Avenue Gym
Sunland Mental Hospital
Zeta7
University Club
The Rainbow Lounge
Club Space Fish
"I WANT TO SELL YOU A CAR.....TAKE IT AWAY, BOB"
Glen Turner's Castle
Bozo the Clown
Bob Snow
The Winter Park Mall (and the big fountain)

Sure, I remember Circus World. What a disaster that place was - I remember spending a few hours there and thinking, "who would ever come back here"? In fact, the only thing I remember of it that was noteworthy was the elephant ride. That was kind of neat, but it was blazing hot out that day and neither I nor the elephant were having much fun.
At one time the Orange Avenue Gym was owned/managed by Milo Steinborn the wrestling promoter when they used to wrestle at the American Legion Hall on Lake Ivanhoe on Monday nights. They wrestled there from the late 50's till 11/'67. I forget when he retired. They moved out the Orlando Sports Complex. Wrestler Eddie Graham took over as promoter and the building was renamed after him after he passed away. I saw many matches there as well as a couple of concerts. Johnny Paycheck and Charley Pride... around 1976 - 1977.

And I recall one time when I was sitting in Sullivan's Trailway Lounge, two ladies came up to me and asked me if I was Bob Snow - too funny! I did look like him but I was him - why would I be there if I was the owner of Church Street Station?? OBTW, my uncle was a good friend of his and he did all the brass work for all the bars and the crosswalk at that complex. I went to the Cheyenne Saloon either 1990 or 91 and saw Merle Haggard perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 37,693 times
Default More stuff that might mean something to someone...

Anyone remember the Sambo's restaurants - one was located on the South Trail just south of Holden & the another one on West Colonial in Pine Hills just west of Kirkman.

There was also Herb's restaurant on the NE corner of 50 & 441... back when they closed it down, my dad was able to get one the picnic tables that sat around the resturant - we got the one with the letter "O" on it.

I grew up in Pine Castle/Edgewood and they built a Ranch House Restaurant at the end of my street - Mary Jess Road and S.Orange Ave.

I remember going to the Barber College on the SE corner of the OBT and I-4 as a kid and paying 50 cents for a haircut.

I remeber going to the National Shirt Shop in downtown Orlando to buy all my french cuff shirts back in the 70's.

Speaking of downtown... the center of the city is Orange Avenue and Central Blvd. That's where the North/South & East/West designations begin.

Back in the mid-70's I worlked at Orlando Frame & Art Supply at 948 N, Mills... right next store to the New Tokyo Restaurant. And less than a block south across the street was Mack Meiners. (When I worked there, one day a week, we'd go the diner at Sears at Fashion Square.) There used to be a good sandwich shop on the corner of Marks Street and Orange ave.

I can remember when Kirkman Road was a narrow 4-lane road (or it might have been 2 lane). Also, when Apopka Vineland was only 2 lane...as well as Conroy Road. That Christian Church on the corner of Hiawassee & Conroy Rd, used to be Baptist church when it was established back in 1963 - my family were charter members - Mrs. Conroy went there too!

And speaking of Conroy Road... I used to work for the engineering firm that designed the overpass at I-4 by the new mall and I did most of the drawings for that bridge. So if you were to look at the set of plans for that job, you'll find my name on those drawings. I also did worked on the new interchage where I-4 and the East-West come together.

The last drive-in to close down in this area was the Starlite Drive-in in Winter Garden. The mayor of Ocoee was trying to do everything he could to keep it open but to no avail. I met the lady recently who told me her husband was the manager there fore many years.
Other drive-ins I recall... Pine Hills Drive In... Orange Avenue Drive In... South Trail Drive In... Orlando Drive In... Winter Park Drive in... Prairie Lake Drive In... there was one in Union Park but I don't recall the name - I thought it had two screens though. Have I missed any?

You normally found most theaters by malls and shopping centers... There the Rocking chair... the South Twins (OBT)... the Northgate Twins... the Parkwood Twins... The Pine Hills Twins... Fashion Square had 'em... Altamonte Mall had them... shopping center on SE? corner of 17/92 and 436 in Casselberry had a pair... there were some in the Conway area on Curry Ford... used to be some on S. Semoran just north of Hoffner... Some by the Florida Mall... Have I missed any?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM

81 posts, read 153,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron g. - Oakridge'72 View Post
Anyone remember the Sambo's restaurants - one was located on the South Trail just south of Holden & the another one on West Colonial in Pine Hills just west of Kirkman.

There was also Herb's restaurant on the NE corner of 50 & 441... back when they closed it down, my dad was able to get one the picnic tables that sat around the resturant - we got the one with the letter "O" on it.

I grew up in Pine Castle/Edgewood and they built a Ranch House Restaurant at the end of my street - Mary Jess Road and S.Orange Ave.

I remember going to the Barber College on the SE corner of the OBT and I-4 as a kid and paying 50 cents for a haircut.

I remeber going to the National Shirt Shop in downtown Orlando to buy all my french cuff shirts back in the 70's.

Speaking of downtown... the center of the city is Orange Avenue and Central Blvd. That's where the North/South & East/West designations begin.

Back in the mid-70's I worlked at Orlando Frame & Art Supply at 948 N, Mills... right next store to the New Tokyo Restaurant. And less than a block south across the street was Mack Meiners. (When I worked there, one day a week, we'd go the diner at Sears at Fashion Square.) There used to be a good sandwich shop on the corner of Marks Street and Orange ave.

I can remember when Kirkman Road was a narrow 4-lane road (or it might have been 2 lane). Also, when Apopka Vineland was only 2 lane...as well as Conroy Road. That Christian Church on the corner of Hiawassee & Conroy Rd, used to be Baptist church when it was established back in 1963 - my family were charter members - Mrs. Conroy went there too!

And speaking of Conroy Road... I used to work for the engineering firm that designed the overpass at I-4 by the new mall and I did most of the drawings for that bridge. So if you were to look at the set of plans for that job, you'll find my name on those drawings. I also did worked on the new interchage where I-4 and the East-West come together.

The last drive-in to close down in this area was the Starlite Drive-in in Winter Garden. The mayor of Ocoee was trying to do everything he could to keep it open but to no avail. I met the lady recently who told me her husband was the manager there fore many years.
Other drive-ins I recall... Pine Hills Drive In... Orange Avenue Drive In... South Trail Drive In... Orlando Drive In... Winter Park Drive in... Prairie Lake Drive In... there was one in Union Park but I don't recall the name - I thought it had two screens though. Have I missed any?

You normally found most theaters by malls and shopping centers... There the Rocking chair... the South Twins (OBT)... the Northgate Twins... the Parkwood Twins... The Pine Hills Twins... Fashion Square had 'em... Altamonte Mall had them... shopping center on SE? corner of 17/92 and 436 in Casselberry had a pair... there were some in the Conway area on Curry Ford... used to be some on S. Semoran just north of Hoffner... Some by the Florida Mall... Have I missed any?
There was the Ri-Mar Drive-in on Clarcona-Ocoee Rd. in NW Orlando, which was closed in 1989 or 1990 for other developments. (possibly the value place motel). We were bummed out when it closed, we used to take our kids there all the time.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
Art Grindle did go through the roof of a car once on commercial. Without missing a beat, he tore up the cardboard sign with the price on it, which he used to do all the time and brought the price about in half.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 12,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron g. - Oakridge'72 View Post
According to one of the history books that I own, it states... "One of the major tourist courts along the Orange Blossom Trail, Wigwam Village was built in the late 1930's. It was removed in 1973 to make way for the 8-Days's Inn at the corner of Orange Blossom Trail and I-4." But being from here I always thought that it was further north than. I was told that it was where the East-West came through there. I worked for the engineering firm that designed the East-West for over 25 years (from 78-to 2003). And I know that's there was an 8-days Inn there too.
Your assumption is correct. The motel at I-4 and SOBT was a Horne's Motor Lodge in the 70's, and then maybe something else before it became a Day's Inn. The Wigwam Village was at the corner of 441 and Carter St.(by the 408). It was demolished in 1973 after Day's Inn purchased the property. The motel is a Vacation Lodge, now.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,439 times
I remember being in Orlando pregnant with my daughter,going to Rimar drive Inn at that time my husband took one of the speakers and to this day I have it back from 1981.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
What was the name of that toy supermarket on Colonial/Maguire near where the Magic Mushroom was?
Now its a Target.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What was the name of that toy supermarket on Colonial/Maguire near where the Magic Mushroom was?
Now its a Target.
I'm pretty sure it was Children's Palace, and I think it was in what's now the LA Fitness, not the Target.

Oh, and it was Infinite Mushroom....I really miss that place.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
I miss seeing the Faaaaammmmmmilllllleeeee Automart commercials

Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
Infinite Mushroom. Thanks for the correction. Its been a while.

I can't recall the name of that toy store. Did Target move? They were in the corner there by the gas station, I guess the last store on the strip there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orl View Post
I'm pretty sure it was Children's Palace, and I think it was in what's now the LA Fitness, not the Target.

Oh, and it was Infinite Mushroom....I really miss that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando