Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,118 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid there was something almost hypnotic about that large sign in front of Grindle Dodge. I loved it and wonder if it was preserved or demolished. Although there are many long gone landmarks I remember - Ronnie's, Malcolm's, The Painted Horese, the cool putt-put courses on the highways around town, etc. - one thing that always made me laugh was the waving women who would sit on stools next to the signs of the various OBT strip clubs. Talk about surreal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
The place with the plane sticking out was called "Off the Wall" I believe. I never went there but enjoyed driving by when I was little on the way to downtown on the extremely bumpy OBT.
it was the golden rock before it was off the wall

Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 31,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
This isn't really long gone but we can add Gino's Pizza an Brew to that list I'm sad to say! my favorite downtown pizza place is gone
Was Definitely the best pizza in town...

Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,106 times
Anybody remember an Italian place called Mike's Lakeside Villa on S Orange south of Sand Lake? Killer baked Ziti on Wednesday nights for $4.95...of course, the beer took up most of the $20! Pan Am posters on the wall too...

Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,159 times
what was the name of roller skating rink on oak ridge rd ??

Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
Did anyone mention Ben White Raceway?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalt10 View Post
there used to be a motel on obt that was indian tee pee's. That was way back.
i remember them.i remember begging daddy to live there. Gosh soooo very long ago.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron g. - Oakridge'72 View Post
Yes, on the corner of Ferguson Drive and Old Winter Garden Road. It was right down the road from my grandma's house. I went to elementary school with the owner's daughter - I forget which grade at the moment at Pine Castle Elementary School.

When I started reading these 28 pages today, I was trying to thknk of something new to add that no one mentioned and this came to mind till I saw yours!

And speaking for going to school with other kids of "famous" relatives - in the fourth grade there was a guy in my class who's uncle was Sheriff Dave Starr. There is a road in the Oakland area named after Dave Starr. I remember he was the head sheriff for many years.
Well that guy you went to school with was probably a family member of mine. Sheriff dave starr was my great-grandfather, it was nice to see a mention of his name.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
I can't believe no one has brought up the monkey riding horseback on top of the wonderful little Donut Dinette on Mills! When my brother and I were little kids growing up in Orlando in the 50s, we were crazy for that little monkey. My dad would take a detour just to watch us go nuts. I think it was still there well into the 60s and possibly the 70s. We had the same reaction to the Wig Wam Village, and practically forced our parents to stay there when we first moved to Orlando.

And who remembers Chastains Restaurant and the glass booth in front of it that they used to broadcast a radio talk show from every night!

Oh, and parking on Genius Drive to "watch the peacocks." Come on, fess up, y'all!

LOL Well, thanks you guys for the little memory jolts. I could pretty much identify with with all of it. We lived near a dairy cow pasture that suddenly became the Colonial Plaza Mall. I went to Fern Creek, then Glenridge AND Howard, then EHS. Used the AFB (later Naval Air Station) as a personal recreation area, roller skated at the Coliseum, jogged around Lake Eola (before anyone had heard of such a thing), cruised back and forth between the "Orlando Steak" and the "Winter Park Steak", went to the Vogue and Beacham, and ALL the drive-ins mentioned, including the secret hidden spot behind some store where someone had rigged up an illegal speaker and you would watch the Winter Park Drive In movie for free! And don't forget driving to Daytona or New Smyrna in the wee hours of the morning after the prom!

Also: As not much more than toddlers, we'd go swimming at the Fern Creek pool, which was only a mile or so from our house. My mother would give my brother and I a dime and send us on our way. We'd walk to the pool and spend all day, completely on our own. We were maybe 8 and 10 years old at the time. There was a little store on Fern Creek that we would stop at on the way back to load up on penny candy. Later, we rode our bikes all over the town, swimming and fishing in different lakes, playing pickup football, basketball and baseball.

And yes, please don't forget the A&W, where they would keep the mugs frozen, so that when they gave you your root beer, it was actually smoking! Then after a few minutes this perfectly round ice medallion would detach itself from the bottom and float lazily to the surface, ready to be crunched by baby teeth.

Oh, I could go on, believe me! Thanks, you guys, for some great memories.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,298 times
What about Farrell's Ice Cream place in Altamonte Mall in the '70's??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando