Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

I used to love going to Race Rock on International Drive as a kid. That place used to be so much fun. It closed in 2007 I believe?

So its not LONG gone, but it brings back fond memories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullgator View Post
There was a GREAT steakhouse on John Young Pkwy close to hwy 50 .. can't remember the name.

Bill Mac
That was a Ruth Chris's. The building is standing empty now.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 45,088 times
It was not Ruth's Chris. But the first name of the man who owned it was Chris. He also owned the Mr Dunderbachs franchise at the Fashion Square Mall. It was ____________ House of Beef.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 PM

32 posts, read 76,995 times
This thread makes me sad so many great places gone

I remember going to some haunted house on idrive it was a rainy late night and my boyfriend and I decieded to go to the haunted house nobody else was there so it made it even scarier!! I loved it then we went to go back several months later and it was gone

Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haphap View Post
It was not Ruth's Chris. But the first name of the man who owned it was Chris. He also owned the Mr Dunderbachs franchise at the Fashion Square Mall. It was ____________ House of Beef.
You are absolutely correct...it was Chris's House of Beef. I've been confusing the two for years lol.
Thanks for the correction.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W_BooneHS View Post
My Gawd, just came across this thread/site.
What memories!

I grew-up (yes lived there in an apartment) at the old Coliseum Skate Rink as a very small child; My Grandmother (Jessie Owings) worked there, my Mom turned skate pro there, and as soon as I walked I had roller skates on my feet. She later taught at SunState Roller Rink off Primrose across from old Colonial Mall (understand all that is gone now). I skated, competed, and worked at Sun State Roller through most of high school.

I recently found some YouTube videos from the roller rink of dance skaters- heck my mom was teaching figure skating lessons at rink center in one of the videos!

Remember Colonial Mall?! Heck yes- did a lot of fun things with girlfriends in the mall elevator back then in H.S.

Anyone remember Shirley W. (dance skate pro at Sun State?), anyone hang out there in the mid-late 70's?

Anyone remember "E-tickets" at WDW? Ever accidently use it as a phrase these days... That was an E-Ticket ____ ?

Wow, such memories.
Jim
Ditto such memories. Didn'y know the Colisium had apartments at that time.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 126,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I remember when 434 (alafaya) was a 2 land street from mcculluch through Oviedo. Now it's a 6 lane major road way.
I talked to a couple in their 80s or so who said they remember Alafaya being a dirt road. I'll admit I laughed, but they didn't. They were being serious.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
I went to Wekiva Springs yesterday and started thinking about Alexander's Riverside Restaurant that used to be there. Such a shame that it burned down... last time I was there I must have been 7 or 8, but I still remember how amazing it was to see the gators and raccoons around you while you ate.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Don't know any of those (only living here for 1 yr). But does anyone remember Circus World in the Orlando area? My mom took us there when we visited Disneyworld back in 1979 or 1980. When did it close?
I remember going there. But, isn't that in Sarasota?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,371 times
What used to be on Rt. 27 south from Cagan's Crossing (and down a bit) on the other side of the road? There is still a lot and the frame from a sign. Often, a guy selling fruit from a truck sits near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando