Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleychick49 View Post
I remember going there. But, isn't that in Sarasota?
It could be seen off of I-4 between Disney and Lakeland. Haines City, I believe. Been closed since the early 80's. It became Boardwalk and Baseball in the mid 80's, which is also closed way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,509 times
I think the restaraunt on Lee Rd was called Holiday House....not sure

Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 57,460 times
This thread has really made me miss Orlando in the 80's. So many really neat places we took for granted back then are gone now.

I had to laugh when a high school friend told me the Why Not? was still in business in Altamonte Springs.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM

12 posts, read 30,235 times
Church Street Station and Exchange
Terror On Church Street
Woolworth/McCoy building
Mini Cooper (Downtown)
New York Fashion
Downtown Outlet
By George Ice Cream Shop
The Hot Dog Shoppe on Magnolia and Church St.
Picadillys
Morrisons
Colonial Plaza
Winter Park Mall
Parkwood Plaza (Movie Theater, Bowling, Fun Machine, and Ice Palace)
All Drive Ins
Montgomery Wards
Seminole Shopping Center (436 and 17-92)
Dekkos
Club Motown
City Jazz
Mystery Funhouse
Malibu
Kart World
Fun n Wheels
Belz Factory Outlet now Prime Outlet
Mercardos
Water Mania
Arabian Knights
Medievel Times
Dolly Parton Stampede

Old 07-10-2010, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 30,235 times
Rides I miss at theme parks that are no longer.

Universal Orlando:
Kongfrontation
Back To The Future
Alfred Hitchcock including Psycho House
Ghost Busters
Hanna Barbera

Sea World:
Ski Show

Disney:
If You had Wings
Mr Toad Wild Ride
Alien Attack
Cable Cars
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Captain EO

Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabyum407 View Post
things i love about orlando. some are still around, some are not:

the smell of fresh bread on I-4
visage
yab yum coffee house
rimar
peaches record shop on 436
the edge
the beach club
club firestone
getting a free denny's meal on your birthday
alternative static on 106.7 fm with surfer dave
wills on mills
the go lounge
the old church street, the church street exchange (what a great piece of property, now sitting idle)
club nowhere
club spacefish
park ave. CD's
white wolf cafe
rock and roll heaven
the asparagus statue outside city hall
the winter park mall
the interstate mall
the $2 movie across from the winter park mall
the bubble room
the mill
the orlando science center
the GIANT tree across from it
leu gardens
mead gardens
dubsdread country club
the enzian
the drop shop
cosmic concerts
the little statue of liberty on the I-4 ramp by lake ivanhoe
orlando vintage on fairbanks
the red fox lounge
the booby trap (comedy gold)
circus world aka boardwalk and baseball
captin EO at epcot
the land at epcot
universe of energy at epcot
the brairpatch on park ave
rainbow sno cones
stardust
murmur records

i kinda love this town.....
Wow!! All those places were GREAT!! I use to dance at The edge and firestone back in the day!! I miss "Yab~yum" and peaches records!!!!Classic!!=p

Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,581,474 times
Quote:
...Haphap...Remember when the "Marijuana Grower's of America" left a paper bag with $20,000 in cash at the Muscular Dystrophy Telethon at Winter Park Mall
this one got me ! Did that really happen ?

I loved this thread. I was raised between Orlando and Tampa from 1943 on and I have seen a bit of change. Plus, my oldest brother worked for Western Electric and lived in Forest City so, we were there quite often. I do remember the airport when it was a joke and eating at a lot of the places in Orlando that are no longer there.....we would go to the zoo in Kissimmee, too. It wasn't much but we were not too well off..... gatorland......and the wonderful malls....

I go to the theme parks but I dont like them here.

Last edited by AnnieA; 07-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: eta: did anyone bring up six guns in ocala?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,581,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamig23 View Post
Some of Art's commercials were indeed taped live, and then repeated when he did something stupid... i mean, entertaining.

I must admit though that the whole Grindle family is thoroughly enjoying the lack of teasing when out in public.

I can remember Art and Artie (my grandfather and father) sitting around the table discussing new ideas for commercials.
I have to c omment on this....what a gas ! It was the commercials you loved to hate. When my husband moved down from PA, that was one of the first things he found funny about Central Fla. But, he loved it !

It may have been on here but can someone tell me the name of the restuarant that was on Hwy 50, I think ? A nice place, steak and seafood. It would have been popular in the 70's, 80's 90's (?) I think it would have been on the southside of orlando....

And, what was the name of the buffet that was at the airport (?). The food was wonderful. My oldest brother took me there for dinner one night and I thought I had died and gone to heaven......

wonderful thread but the posters are getting younger and younger.....

Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,477,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have to c omment on this....what a gas ! It was the commercials you loved to hate. When my husband moved down from PA, that was one of the first things he found funny about Central Fla. But, he loved it !

It may have been on here but can someone tell me the name of the restuarant that was on Hwy 50, I think ? A nice place, steak and seafood. It would have been popular in the 70's, 80's 90's (?) I think it would have been on the southside of orlando....

And, what was the name of the buffet that was at the airport (?). The food was wonderful. My oldest brother took me there for dinner one night and I thought I had died and gone to heaven......

The most popular steak place on Colonial had to be either Linda's La Cantina (started out as Al & Linda's) or Barney's. La Cantina is still going strong but sadley Barney's just closed in the last year or so.

The only buffet I remember on the way to the airport was Ryan's. I'm not on that side of town much anymore except to go to the airport and I avoid 436 in doing so. Hopefully someone from that side can help you out.

Last edited by Granny Sue; 07-27-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 PM

275 posts, read 789,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I thought there used to be a Sizzler about a couple of miles north of the airport on 436, on the right side. Could that be the one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando