U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 AM

68 posts, read 119,937 times
Default Brighthouse vs AT&T

Considering switching to AT&T U-verse from Brighthouse. They offer the same programing to every TV in the house. The "box" is not necessary. They claim the box is what causes the incessant "please wait" message when changing stations. Would love to hear from anyone who has made this same switch. Any regrets? If you could go back would you have stayed with Brighthouse. By the way I believe U-verse offers some more programming and the NFL network in some capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM

12,158 posts, read 11,847,410 times
I wouldn't recommend either. I had DirectTV up north for many years (and loved it) but went the cable route here because everyone said satellite isn't reliable in Florida because of the thunderstorms. My mistake. Started off with Brighthouse and consistently had a bad picture/fritzy reception. Brighthouse claimed it was only on the lower number channels. Oh well, thanks so I won't watch those???? I switched to AT&T and had a similar situation with poor picture quality and loss of service during storms... thought that was a satellite-only issue? Finally against all " good advice" I went back to DirectTV. I've had it since May and couldn't be happier. It costs less, haven't had any service issues and have lost signal only once during a very severe thunderstorm that lasted about 30-45 minutes. I also find the available sports packs fun to use (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings) since very few games are broadcast by the local TV affiliates.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 19,614 times
I would vote for Brighthouse.
I have had them for a long time, no major problems with my connection.
AT&T has lower than desired customer service & selling techniques. I was stuck with them for a while and I'm glad to be back with Brighthouse. Well they are not my favorite company, About the best service you can find in Orlando. We have nasty storms from time to time in Florida, Brighthouse is most reliable in those times when you may need TV & Internet when sat tv drops connection.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase23 View Post
We have nasty storms from time to time in Florida, Brighthouse is most reliable in those times when you may need TV & Internet when sat tv drops connection.
Umm, no. Satellite TV doesn't drop signal like it used to, old information.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 AM

812 posts, read 723,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Umm, no. Satellite TV doesn't drop signal like it used to, old information.
Odd, I was in Tennessee last year and service dropped during storms there. What major change was made in the past year?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Odd, I was in Tennessee last year and service dropped during storms there. What major change was made in the past year?
I dunno, but I haven't had any issues here in Central Florida (the thunderstorm capital of the world) over the past 6 months, and prior had DirectTV in Philadelphia for 7 years with similar results. DirectTV has also received the highest customer service scores from JD Powers (over other cable providers) which means they're doing something right. I did have a tech tell me that if a dish is placed incorrectly (they have to calculate the trajectory) that'll happen. Also, if one thinks about it the military/government agencies have been using satellite communications for quite some time so the inconsistency factor can't be that high.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 AM

209 posts, read 437,964 times
I have had all three, ATT (uverse), BH and DTV.

TV wise, never had trouble with any of them.

DTV did go out in some of the worst thunderstorms, but I have a lot of trees near the sattelite path. That said, the storms in Central Florida tend to be between 2-5 pm, when I am at work anyway. Additionally the DVR was always full if it ever coincided; So again, not an issue for me.

If I were to choose on TV offerings I would just go with the least expensive one, with the programing I wanted.

Internet wise BH never delivered the speed I was paying for. After 8 years, as soon as ATT uverse was available, I switched and they have always delivered beyond my expectations.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM

68 posts, read 119,937 times
May I ask what is it about ATT uverse that delivers beyond your expectations. Great picture reception, abundance of high def channels, speed? I find the Brighthouse remotes pretty slow when inputting numbers to change the station. Do you get the NFL package for free?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,932,347 times
Have had Brighthouse and couldn't wait to leave. The service was always down in my neighborhood and there is to this day a Brighthouse van down the street fixing something.

I switched to Direct TV and loved it. Picture quality, internet speed, price, service. Rarely ever had problems with storms and if so just for a few minutes. I was satisfied except that the prices inched up each year and Direct TV wouldn't give me the same rate as new customers. They would give me a small discount for a few months, but then the price went up again. And it became a constant I have been a good customer can you give me a discount type thing. so I switched to ATT Uverse.

Uverse is great and even better quality wise, internet speed, everything.

That is my experience anyway

Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM

209 posts, read 437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesupra View Post
May I ask what is it about ATT uverse that delivers beyond your expectations. Great picture reception, abundance of high def channels, speed? I find the Brighthouse remotes pretty slow when inputting numbers to change the station. Do you get the NFL package for free?
Mostly the internet speed. With BH I used to pay for up to 12 Mbps and I would only get between 6-8 consistently, at worst down to 3, but never beyond 8. I troubleshooted with them several times, and after trying everything with no success they said, well your service is "up to" 12 Mbps, and you are getting that "up to" 12, we cannot do anything else.

With ATT I pay for up to 12 Mbps and I get consistently get 11.5 +, at times I have gotten tests at 15, but I am not paying for that.

On ATT Uverse TV there is hardly any lag on the channel surf, there are barely any service interruptions, and it is always consistent. For a TV service I just ask that it is always there when I want, and it did that, but so did DTV and BH when I had them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando