U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM

37 posts, read 43,368 times
Default Orlando suburbs - which one?

Just realized I should have posted this here, instead of the general Florida area. Sorry!

We are contemplating a move from Gainesville to the Orlando area. I do not want to live in Orlando proper, but am interested in the surrounding suburbs. My husband's employment is in Lake Mary, which has a higher cost of living than Gainesville and we will be reducing down to one salary to move (our mortgage is huge, though, so a lesser priced rental will allow for this).

That said, affordability is still an issue. Would like to keep rent at 1250 or less, and need at least 3 bedrooms, preferably 4. Townhouse or single family home is preferable. We'll consider apartments, but I'd really like to stay away from the "traditional" apartment experience. My son can go through that in college like I did!

I'm looking at Lake Mary, Longwood and Kissimmee. We have one child who will start Kindergarten next fall. I am looking for a safe neighborhood with outdoor space available (either yard or common area), good schools, "slow-paced" feel and easy access to Orlando airport. Having only spent time at Disney, I don't know the area at all. Any suggestions/cautionary tales are appreciated!!

Last edited by FLMom10; 10-13-2011 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Edited to add specific info on pricing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,840,407 times
Kissimmee should be immediately crossed off your list. Any savings in cost will be paid back in gas and travel time. Kissimmee is 35+ miles from Lake Mary and you would have to commute through downtown. Travel time during rush hour would be over an hour. Look at the areas immediately surrounding Lake Mary. They are all nice and you can find reasonable places within your price range. More specifically, I would look at Lake Mary, Longwood, Casselberry, Altamonte Springs and Maitland.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Thank you for the response. I was looking online at rentals and thinking that the prices might just be too good to be true. I greatly appreciate the confirmation. I had not considered Maitland or Casselberry before, as I wasn't sure how long a commute it would be, but I will add them to the list and shift the focus of the search in that general direction.
Thank you!!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:17 PM

11,981 posts, read 11,488,804 times
Welcome to the area! You might also consider Sanford which sits right next to Lake Mary. Sanford gets a black eye from many who don't know much about it other than what shows up on the local TV news ( from the bad areas on the far east side) but it has many nice areas and those that border Lake Mary are different only due to name as the two towns blend together pretty seamlessly on the west side and NW side. I live on the west side and find it to be very convenient to major highways (and Lake Mary), very quiet, family-friendly and very safe. There are many nice options in the under $1200 month range here (check Craigslist) and would be happy to help you narrow down the best areas. Send me a message through Direct Mail if you'd like some more specific local information. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Thank you so much! I had been wondering why Sanford had been getting negative reviews from some friends, and it's great to know there are some good, affordable areas. We are still trying to sell our home here so not ready to move just yet, but I will probably message you when we get closer to the move. Thank you so much for the helpful information!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM

812 posts, read 707,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMom10 View Post
Thank you so much! I had been wondering why Sanford had been getting negative reviews from some friends, and it's great to know there are some good, affordable areas. We are still trying to sell our home here so not ready to move just yet, but I will probably message you when we get closer to the move. Thank you so much for the helpful information!
Sanford isn't terrible, but compared to Lake Mary, Heathrow, Longwood, and Altamonte Springs, it sucks...

Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 AM

1,283 posts, read 830,156 times
Here's one not to move to ...

Apopka landfill: Waste Management proposes garbage landfill in Apopka - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 14,025,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Sanford isn't terrible, but compared to Lake Mary, Heathrow, Longwood, and Altamonte Springs, it sucks...
Yes, some areas but no for other areas. There are different parts to Sanford and I have to agree with Kyle. A lot of the west side of Sanford is just as nice as the areas that you've mentioned. I also agree with Kyle that too many people discount Sanford when actually there are some decent areas to it.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Thanks for all the information, folks!
So, right now my "short list" includes: Lake Mary, the west side of Sanford, Oviedo, Geneva, Winter Springs, Winter Park, Altamonte, Longwood, Maitland, De Bary and Deltona.
Is there anything that I should remove or add? I expanded it to Volusia county due to housing affordability. All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 AM

11,981 posts, read 11,488,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
No, it actually doesn't. You might try a drive through the west side sometime and see if you can differentiate between which part is Lake Mary and which isn't...in addition, the northwest side adjoins Heathrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando