Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:05 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Because you want the best you possibly can do for your future children right? It's not that Deltona is horrible for kids but with your price range you can do better. Take the klids out of the equation, and Deltona is ok... far... but ok.
I wonder what klids are? Maybe they are like @ 2:24 here:

Cannonball Run Outtakes - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
Here for six weeks and already looking to move? Asking total strangers for advice on where to buy a home that you plan to live in a long time? Do yourself and your klids/kids a favor and rent. Other poster who suggested Longwood and Lake Mary was giving good advice, but rent first. Florida probably has many other surprises for you that will reveal themselves the longer you live here. Make sure you like the area, schools and the state in general before you marry it by buying. There are many who would like a divorce from Florida but are trapped in a home they can't get out of.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM

16 posts, read 59,731 times
I sure do want the best!
I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the input. I don't want to move there (too far from Orlando), but the homes I have seen so far are really nice & just got me thinking about it as a last resort.

I know people living in a part of Deltona, but they actually bought a new construction. They are not close to anything and I don't like that kind of isolation, especially from the police station and hospitals. The area looks like the developers just cut down a bunch of trees in the middle of the forest and built a bunch of homes (the homes are surrounded by forest).

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Here for six weeks and already looking to move? Asking total strangers for advice on where to buy a home that you plan to live in a long time? Do yourself and your klids/kids a favor and rent. Other poster who suggested Longwood and Lake Mary was giving good advice, but rent first. Florida probably has many other surprises for you that will reveal themselves the longer you live here. Make sure you like the area, schools and the state in general before you marry it by buying. There are many who would like a divorce from Florida but are trapped in a home they can't get out of.

Thanks for the advice, especially the judgmental tone.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM

706 posts, read 1,308,951 times
I have been trying for months to get some concrete answers on a neighborhood I used to live in briefly-Park Central-32839. I know it is by a prision and OBT and it isn't the best area, but just looking for something with a low cost of living. I have been asking how stable the HOA is, but cannot get a straight answer. If any realtor has any info on this-please PM me. I would love to hear from you. I know these are only cash deals, so if you know of any communities that are bargains right now under 125K with low HOA fees that can be financed, I would love to hear from you. I would love to be close to the mall (like 32839) or downtown: 32801.

Thanks for reading my ramble

Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
This is the best advice you can get right now.

Why rush into things? Renting for a year will give you the flexibility to take your time and investigate the options.

Keep in mind that some real estate agents just want a paycheck, and they really don't have your best interests at heart. With your price range, you would find plenty of homes in the Clermont area of Lake County (just west of downtown Orlando). It depends on where you work and what you consider to be a viable commute (and factor in TOLLS).

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
This is the best advice you can get right now.

Why rush into things? Renting for a year will give you the flexibility to take your time and investigate the options.

Keep in mind that some real estate agents just want a paycheck, and they really don't have your best interests at heart. With your price range, you would find plenty of homes in the Clermont area of Lake County (just west of downtown Orlando). It depends on where you work and what you consider to be a viable commute (and factor in TOLLS).
Which is EXACTLY what we are doing right now- renting and investigating. I never said I wanted to buy a house next month. I know it will take time, especially with the fact that we plan on staying in the house for a very long time. I expect to have found the right home and have closed on the mortgage hopefully by the time my lease expires. Our neighbors aren't exactly the Brady Bunch, so if we were to find something before then, I would be so happy to leave these racists behind. I also expect it to be a while before we find a good realtor, someone who is not just looking for a paycheck.

I am asking for advice now so we don't waste time looking at crappy areas. We also want to take advantage of these low mortgage rates before they go up again, which I don't expect to happen within the next 12 months, but who knows.
I am taking everything into consideration- location, safety, schools, commute, cost of living, flooding, HOI and annual taxes, even how many registered sex offenders are in the area, etc. If the last one seems crazy, then so be it.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I have been trying for months to get some concrete answers on a neighborhood I used to live in briefly-Park Central-32839. I know it is by a prision and OBT and it isn't the best area, but just looking for something with a low cost of living. I have been asking how stable the HOA is, but cannot get a straight answer. If any realtor has any info on this-please PM me. I would love to hear from you. I know these are only cash deals, so if you know of any communities that are bargains right now under 125K with low HOA fees that can be financed, I would love to hear from you. I would love to be close to the mall (like 32839) or downtown: 32801.

Thanks for reading my ramble
I would suggest Conway area (32812) Close to downtown and OBT (also close to airport, and pretty much everything) but is SAFER than your zip. And housing prices have dropped. You should easily be able to find a home in the 100k price range Good luck

Old 10-20-2011, 11:29 AM

43 posts, read 94,073 times
I live in Chicago and have been working with the most wonderful real estate agent for the past 2 years trying to find a house for my retirement but that I want to rent out for about 5 years first. Although I know that she is extrmemely busy she works her schedule around when I can make it to Orlando and has several houses for me to look at when I get there. She would also send e-mails almost every day with price changes and new sales. We have FINALLY found one that I didn't even care for that much and went with another one that I loved the house but wasn't wild about the area. Although this one did not impress me at first she showed me the potential and how all it needed was paint and other minor fixes. Once I saw it through her eyes I was sold. Oh and btw, this was one of the most inexpensive ones we looked at. Please PM me if you are interested.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
Be careful about suggestions from strangers on forums, where you live is vital to your happiness. Comments about areas are helpful. Comments about how wonderful a particular agent might be could be coming from their spouse or relative, hardly objective. An agents advise on "crappy areas" could just mean they don't have any listings there. I always find comments from regular people that won't make $1000's off me offer the most helpful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando