Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that I have seen a lot of young males wear flags on their back pockets. I don't remember seeing this all of the years I have been living in Orlando. I have noticed it has become common in the last 3 years.

What is going on?

This is Orlando, not Long Beach California or Compton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
There was a pretty high profile gang related murder just a few years back. This is disturbing as I have never seen any gang issues growing up here. Orlando historically has not had organized gangs, but local groups who grow up together and form their own "cliques" in neighborhoods like Mercy Drive, Powers, Silver Star and Tangelo Park.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
There was a pretty high profile gang related murder just a few years back. This is disturbing as I have never seen any gang issues growing up here. Orlando historically has not had organized gangs, but local groups who grow up together and form their own "cliques" in neighborhoods like Mercy Drive, Powers, Silver Star and Tangelo Park.

Yeah, I only remember there being hoods against hoods. Like Pine Hills vs Winter Garden etc. Organized gangs were never part of Orlando's hood culture.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Yeah, I only remember there being hoods against hoods. Like Pine Hills vs Winter Garden etc. Organized gangs were never part of Orlando's hood culture.
Hood culture? There really isnt much of one. Yeah Orlando has its cliques of bad people but not like LA or Chicago

According to the article, the Orlando area has 2500 gang members
Documents: Violent Orange drug gang hid in plain sight - Orlando Sentinel

That seems like a pretty low number for a metro of 2 million

In Las Vegas, a metro area with a similar population (1.9 million) has 14,000 gang members Talk about a "hood" culture
Program Targets Young Gang Members

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Flags? Crips and bloods wear red and blue bandanas, not flags. I've seen a bunch of people with Puerto Rican and Dominican flags, but then again I've seen people wearing clothing with US flags as well. Doesn't make them an automatic gang-banger.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Flags? Crips and bloods wear red and blue bandanas, not flags. I've seen a bunch of people with Puerto Rican and Dominican flags, but then again I've seen people wearing clothing with US flags as well. Doesn't make them an automatic gang-banger.
"Flags" are bandanas.

Urban Dictionary: flag

Old 10-18-2011, 12:57 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Although concerning I do agree we are still far from being a "hub" of gang activity. Having spent time on the west coast we are faaaaarrrrr from the issues they have there. In my experience it seems to be geographical phenomenon. Everywhere I have been in the west there seems to be a larger organized gangs, whereas in the east, even in the larger cities, there are not many organized gangs, but cliques much like here in CFL. I find it concerning because growing up here you almost never saw organized gangs.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
We had two home invasion style break-ins in my little neighborhood last summer. A guy kicked the front door down on two homes at random at 1PM. The police told me it was a "gang member from Orlando". Nice, eh?

I'm afraid many of us are living sheltered lives and really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes in O-town c. 2011.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
We had two home invasion style break-ins in my little neighborhood last summer. A guy kicked the front door down on two homes at random at 1PM. The police told me it was a "gang member from Orlando". Nice, eh?

I'm afraid many of us are living sheltered lives and really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes in O-town c. 2011.
Not sheltered, just know that the same type of crime can and does occur everywhere. Anyone who thinks they are completely immune is in denial. Considering a friend of mine in a small town in a rural part of OH was a victim of a random home invasion, I don't believe that the two in your neighborhood can be considered a gang-related crime wave.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
There is definetly a Blood and Crips gang presence in Central Florida :

Crips gang rape: Attack on young woman highlights Osceola County's gang problem - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando