Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
People sometimes complain (or mis-characterize would be the better term) that there is nothing to do in Orlando other than theme parks. Well this past weekend I faced another common and growing problem...too many things to do. Friday night caught up with old friends at numerous happy hours throughout downtown. Saw a huge crowd outside the Beacham for what I later found out was a rare club concert by the Killers. Happy Hour was not a good idea because I was unable to attend the 5K in the morning my cousin invited me to run in. Immediately after that was the Veterans day parade which my office mate invited me too. At the same time just down the street was the huge "Orlando Calling" music festival that featured multiple headliners including Bob Seger, Kid Rock, The Killers, The Roots, Kid Cudi, Blake Shelton. On Sunday I headed into work for hours but get caught in traffic for the "Come out With Pride" festival that basically shut down all of Lake Eola. Finished up some work just in time to get to the Dwight Howard Magic All Star game at UCF arena. The event was a defenseless dunkfest with the Old School Magic Players v. New School Magic Players. Their were multiple entertainment acts and the teams were coached by Boxing World Champion Floyd Money Mayweather and rap/pop icon Lil Wayne. The whole event ended up being an Orlando love-fest with Penny Hardaway getting the largest ovation of the night. Immediately after came out and enjoyed a little time at Light Up UCF and finally ended the weekend. What a boring place to live? Maybe one of these weekends I'll just go to the themeparks.
Awesome post!

As long as I've known Orlando, there has ALWAYS been things to do beyond the theme parks, LOTS of good stuff is always going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM

254 posts, read 790,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
At the Wizarding World of Harry Potter they hosted the "Harry Potter Home Entertainment Celebration Event" to celebrate the release of Deathly Hallows Part 2 and the subsequent complete blu-ray set... it was ticketed event that included early entry to WWoHP at 6AM, Question and Answer sessions with much of the cast and crew, autograph signings with the cast and crew, a media event (Saturday night) and a huge Gala (Sunday night). You can look at some of the videos from the event on E! Online.
Thank you! I thought we missed something great ( we're not that fanatics but we do love HP!) We're looking into getting an annual pass for Universal but still procrastinating due to the cost. Will get it this year though since they're running a special,,you get 14 mos instead of 12.

Last edited by nixau27; 11-15-2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
So out of curiosity, what types of activities do you like? Maybe some of us can help you find some of those events.
I know right!! It's like everyone is a critic of Orlando yet never bother to specify exactly what we are missing. Do I think the city is perfect or that it offers the highly urban experience of places like Chicago or Boston, no. However, I do believe there is a lot to do here and that Orlando packs a punch much greater than it's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Iam, I admire your clean living. But I can see how that can limit your options when most young people social lives revolves around drinking. Unfortunately, that would limit your options anywhere you go. But in the end doing what's right for you is more than important than partying up all the time so I hope you find more activities to your liking.
I'd also like to add that the social scene in most cities (including the big exciting ones) mainly revolves around drinking like Orlando and the non-drinking actives differ from person to person and therefore certain cities will provide more for varied tastes.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
I want to visit Orlando,hope is there places to have a fun
dominos vouchers (http://tinyurl.com/8xka2ae - broken link)

Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
This is a common complaint in city forums around the country-----theres nothing to do here.

Every city has things to do-----read the paper thoroughly---explore the net----read various entertainment publications.

Granted some cities present more entertainment options than others-----that being said, do some leg work instead of waiting for entertainment options to come to you.

We live in South Florida and have been to Orlando quite a few times----there are plenty of things to do.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Who needs that ? Just head out to the back roads of Osceola County any night of the week if you want drag racing ...
You obviously have never been within a mile of a jet car.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
You obviously have never been within a mile of a jet car.
To each their own ... z-z-z-z-z-z

Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
To each their own ... z-z-z-z-z-z
Then why did you have to say anything in the first place? Oh wait; I forgot your role as the Orlando Debbie downer...

Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Then why did you have to say anything in the first place? Oh wait; I forgot your role as the Orlando Debbie downer...
When's the next tractor pull ? Or let me know when the next corn eating contest starts ? Yee-haw ...

And when the OP titles the post 'Nothing to Do in Orlando', he/she was obviously trying to counter some argument that Snorlando is boring.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
This is a common complaint in city forums around the country-----theres nothing to do here.

Every city has things to do-----read the paper thoroughly---explore the net----read various entertainment publications.

Granted some cities present more entertainment options than others-----that being said, do some leg work instead of waiting for entertainment options to come to you.

We live in South Florida and have been to Orlando quite a few times----there are plenty of things to do.
Google search <city name> <events> <blog> and you'll find a ton of things to do. 90% of the things I find to do these days are via blogs. Also Yelp has a great "Events" section where you can search for things local to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando