Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 36,992 times

Advertisements

You worked close to UCF and your better half worked close to Florida Mall AND within three to five years (or longer) one of you (the one that’s close to UCF area) have plans to work at Kennedy Space Center. Have no kids, but plan to have some kids soon. Looking for best school district and no plans to send the kids to private school. Looking to buy under $250K.

Which city has the best school district?

Oviedo area sounds best option but would the drive to Florida Mall be too long during rush hours?

Truly appreciate your input about areas we should be considering when we come down for a visit. This will help us narrow our options down as we are limited on the time.

Last edited by spaceflight; 11-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,315,116 times
Conway/Belle Isle area. Right now you can jump on 408 to UCF, SO can take Conway or Orange down to Sand Lake or 528 to FL Mall. Once you get moved, you can take 528 out to KSC. Boone High School district is considered very good. This would be the best compromise as far as commute for both. You can find a nice home in this area for under $250k and convenient to shopping, dinning and downtown.

My next choice would be Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park. This would be more convenient for you than SO though. Schools are considered good. Homes can be had for cheap price now.

Final choice would be Winter Park but commute wouldn't be great for either of you.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM

995 posts, read 1,690,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Conway/Belle Isle area. Right now you can jump on 408 to UCF, SO can take Conway or Orange down to Sand Lake or 528 to FL Mall. Once you get moved, you can take 528 out to KSC. Boone High School district is considered very good. This would be the best compromise as far as commute for both. You can find a nice home in this area for under $250k and convenient to shopping, dinning and downtown.

My next choice would be Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park. This would be more convenient for you than SO though. Schools are considered good. Homes can be had for cheap price now.

Final choice would be Winter Park but commute wouldn't be great for either of you.
I agree with Conway/Belle Isle, but would even include Delaney Park if you prefer downtown living. Very convenient to I4 and the 408, and still in the Boone/Blankner school district. Being downtown would let you commute against traffic in any direction during rush hour.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM

I agree with IDR. I would look at the entire area from 408 to the north down to Hoffner to the south and Orange Ave west all the way to Semoran on the east. Basically the entire Boone/Blankner school district.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,521,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I agree with IDR. I would look at the entire area from 408 to the north down to Hoffner to the south and Orange Ave west all the way to Semoran on the east. Basically the entire Boone/Blankner school district.
I don't know I would opt for Oviedo. First of all the Conway Belle Isle area use to be really nice but it has come down quite a bit in the last 10 years or so. I would be careful re; schools and resale.

I think Oviedo is a better long term choice. Especially if working at Space Coast down the line.
I use to live in Conway and loved it-close to airport, downtown, I-4 etc. But it has definitely lost some luster of late. A friend of mine works for Sherrif's dept and he even said there has been an increase in gang activity etc in this area. I would be careful.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 36,992 times
How’s the elementary school in Conway/Belle Isle area?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceflight View Post
How’s the elementary school in Conway/Belle Isle area?
From what I understand there are all good.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,139,011 times
I agree the Belle Isle area is a very good area, but the homes tend to be a bit older (more maintenance if that is an issue for you) and you will hear more airport noise in some area's as the flight paths for OIA are north and south right over the Conway area.

Oviedo is a great area as well, but it's much further north, much closer to UCF but would add at least 20 minutes to your commute to FL mall and eventually KSC vs the area below....

Really, I think the best bet for you is going to be the Lake Nona area just east of the airport between the 528 and 417. That gives you and your better half an easy highway drive to Florida Mall area, UCF as well as KSC. Schools are all brand new, highly rated, and one of the elementary schoosl is actually IN the neighborhood of Northlake Park so you can walk your kids to and from school if we can find the right home in that neighborhood.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,521,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
I agree the Belle Isle area is a very good area, but the homes tend to be a bit older (more maintenance if that is an issue for you) and you will hear more airport noise in some area's as the flight paths for OIA are north and south right over the Conway area.
Oviedo is a great area as well, but it's much further north, much closer to UCF but would add at least 20 minutes to your commute to FL mall and eventually KSC vs the area below....
Really, I think the best bet for you is going to be the Lake Nona area just east of the airport between the 528 and 417. That gives you and your better half an easy highway drive to Florida Mall area, UCF as well as KSC. Schools are all brand new, highly rated, and one of the elementary schoosl is actually IN the neighborhood of Northlake Park so you can walk your kids to and from school if we can find the right home in that neighborhood.
I have a good friend who had a "friend" who is a realtor. . . anyhew she convinced my friend to buy in Lake Nona. She completely regrets it. Besides the fact that her home is worth 1/3 of what it was (a plus for buyers now but still). The realtor tried to convince my friend that Lk. Nona would take off and was the "it" place to buy/live, the new UCF Medical school is coming etc. Still waiting. . .
She is very unhappy there and feels far away from everything and isolated and so wishes she would have purchase any where except Lk. Nona.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 AM

717 posts, read 2,803,822 times
My first choice would be Waterford Lakes area if you want something already well developed-lots of everything and great schools. Second choice would be Lake Nona if you want something less densely populated-at least for now. The Lake Nona area will develop and become extremely congested just like all of the other outlying areas. This area almost can't fail because of the medical community there. It is also near the airport and has easy access to major roads. It has been developed as a "higher end" area so it should see steady growth without decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando