Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM

30 posts, read 109,788 times

Advertisements

I looked at the blurry map in the Orlando International Airport Noise Brochure PDF and it looks like Zone D airport noise goes directly over Vista Lakes / Vista Park, while Zone E airport noise reaches up to Tivoli Woods. I have read that the airport noise in Vista Lakes is very bad, with airplanes being so loud at times that you can't hear the person next to you talking.

I am wondering if anyone knows how far out you have to get before the noise no longer becomes bothersome? The flight path out of the north east seems to go from Vista Lakes to Tivoli Woods then goes in the unpopulated area below Cypress Springs and StoneyBrook.

I am driving down to Orlando soon looking for a house rental near the airport. Plenty of people have said that the Lake Nona communities are in a no-fly zone with no airport noise, so I will start there. Rentals in Vista Lakes are numerous and cheaper, but I can pretty much rule out that entire neighborhood due the noise issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Ah airport noise is over-hyped IMO. If you are only renting an apartment as opposed to purchasing a home I wouldn't be so concerned.

Lake Nona just feels like it is out in the middle of nowhere and is a hike to get anywhere. If you don't mind a long drive to pretty much everywhere else then I guess Nona is OK.
OIA is not Atlanta, Chicago Ohare, or Boston Logan.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Agreed, Nona is overrated, and too far out from everything. Get on the 417 and there's literally nothing til you get to bvl/southchase.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 AM

If I am going to be spending a year of my life living somewhere and I can choose where to live, greatly preferring quiet neighborhoods, then I do think noise is important. I work from a home office

People are calling the Noise Hotline to complain about loud airplanes and taking time out of their day to attend airport noise meetings to make presentations and demand changes. There are numerous noise monitoring stations, an airport noise Web site, and regular meetings on this issue. So clearly there are many people who think it is a problem.

That said, I don't live in that area, so I was hoping to get opinions from people who do. I currently live in a "bedroom community" where the only noise are lawn mowers.

Lake Nona doesn't seem that remote to me. It has a Moss Park mall with a grocery store and a drug store. A Target, a WalMart, and some more gas stations would be nice, but are not essential. The problem with going to more populated places like Winter Park, Lake Mary, or Baldwin Park are that prices there can be substantially more expensive and you get older smaller houses. I have doubts that Winter Park and Baldwin Park are worth an extra $600/month. I ruled out these areas mainly based on cost. I still haven't chosen a place yet and was going to explore Cypress Springs and Waterford Lakes first.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 PM

72 posts, read 177,411 times
MCO is a bigger and busier than Boston Logan tho.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM

The airport noise brochure has blurry images, but I called the noise hotline and the person pointed me to a fantastic Web site that shows the areas of airport noise on a detailed map, along with any other city information you want to map out.

The site is the orangecountyfl.net site, go to Services Online, the InfoMap, then click Launch Info Map.
Once there, select Land Development > Restrictions > Airport Noise (there are five zones you can select).

This link might get you to InfoMap more directly
Orange County InfoMap Public

The person did say that even areas not in official zones experience airplane noise. The definition of the noise zones is not an exact science and there is no guarantee that planes will specifically avoid certain areas. Developers and property managers are supposed to warn new residents about the noise problem if they live in one of the defined noise zones.

The concept that Lake Nona is in a no-fly zone is a myth. There is no such thing as a no-fly zone for Orlando, which includes Disney World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando