Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
For Orlando, the number is closer to 82% drive alone.

I still don't think the problem is LYNX as much as the bedroom communities themselves. When you consider the design, usually with walls and/or gates and not within walking distance to basic things like food or schools, I think it's a fair assumption that anyone who lives there wants to depend on a car.

Sometimes things like disabilities happen and there are services in some of those cases. But I don't know if I want my tax dollars to subsidize mobility for people in Windermere because they got a DUI or their car broke down or they didn't think gas was ever going to go up and their real estate agent didn't tell them the traffic would stink.

Seems kind of unfair.

I just think a fair case in all of this is the choice is ultimately up too the people. I drive but I also take Lynx everyday because it's simple and easy and I MAKE it work. The service is provided, and I have to revolve around it. Most people misunderstand that concept and deam public transit bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
When I rode Lynx their buses seemed to break down pretty often actually. But they got rid of a lot of their older buses so maybe they dont break down as much? Funny I still see SO many of their older buses (now owned by private companies) all over town

They oughta wash their buses too. They look pretty grungy sometimes on the outside. And thank God they dont have those plush seats anymore, those things go so dirty and nasty

You'd rather the hard seats over the plush seats? What about those express buses with the chartered bus style seats. No exactly plush in the old Lynx buses but more of truly express style.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
You'd rather the hard seats over the plush seats? What about those express buses with the chartered bus style seats. No exactly plush in the old Lynx buses but more of truly express style.
Lynx's older buses (the 200s series, God I know too much about Lynx ) had those cushioned seats, and as the buses aged, they got ratty, worn out, and in some cases, even torn in places. The ones that had the rainbow color pattern were pretty neat though (they were green, blue, orange, and red striped)

I see why Lynx uses hard plastic seats now. They dont wear out quite like that

And the charter-bus style seats? Yes much better indeed. Now all I need are cupholders to go with it for my pepsi

Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Lynx's older buses (the 200s series, God I know too much about Lynx ) had those cushioned seats, and as the buses aged, they got ratty, worn out, and in some cases, even torn in places. The ones that had the rainbow color pattern were pretty neat though (they were green, blue, orange, and red striped)

And the charter-bus style seats? Yes much better indeed. Now all I need are cupholders to go with it for my pepsi

Yeah the buses where the old Lynx Station was, where the new fire house engine is now. Personally I think they should have kep that station over there and used the existing parking lot as an add on but oh well we'll see how this Sunrail station and Lynx station work though I don't see it being long enough for SuNRail.

It would be cool if Lynx had more buses painted or schemed like Sunrail

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Yeah the buses where the old Lynx Station was, where the new fire house engine is now. Personally I think they should have kep that station over there and used the existing parking lot as an add on but oh well we'll see how this Sunrail station and Lynx station work though I don't see it being long enough for SuNRail.

It would be cool if Lynx had more buses painted or schemed like Sunrail
That old bus station was dank, dark, and dingy. The Lynx Central station is much more open, lit, and inviting

I remember riding up to the old Lynx bus station on Bus 18 from Bvl (Kissimmee) into downtown Orlando. Scary

Old 03-29-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
That old bus station was dank, dark, and dingy. The Lynx Central station is much more open, lit, and inviting

I remember riding up to the old Lynx bus station on Bus 18 from Bvl (Kissimmee) into downtown Orlando. Scary

True, it actually gives me a real reason to ride Lymo in order to get to work though so I'm fine with it. Lynx is still creepy some routes man. Especially 8 and 4 through OBT and Parramore.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
When I rode Lynx their buses seemed to break down pretty often actually. But they got rid of a lot of their older buses so maybe they dont break down as much? Funny I still see SO many of their older buses (now owned by private companies) all over town

They oughta wash their buses too. They look pretty grungy sometimes on the outside. And thank God they dont have those plush seats anymore, those things go so dirty and nasty
The new buses are extremely reliable. And yes, many of the older Phantoms are in use by other local organizations, but the majority of them went out of state. To be honest the majority of those older Phantoms you see around town didn't come from LYNX but from other transit authorities.

The buses get washed regularly, but there's just so much you can do, especially during pollen season.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Your not exercisig the full though of being a tourist. Not one from the aiport and or lodging right away, as I clearly made it in my post, those tourist who are already settled and wish to see the city, and or international. Lynx is a good way to get around as several Lynx routes go down there. If it was even limited to just international, it's better than nothing.
So you spend a million in advertising to collect a few thousand in fares? Like I said, anyone not smart enough to Google it or bother to ask someone how to take the bus probably doesn't have the mental capacity to read a bus schedule.

It's the same reason NORTA, LVTA, MTA, and MBTA (all major tourist destinations) don't advertise. The revenue doesn't, and never will equal the cost.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
There's a happy medium which is what most transits use, padded seat inserts. The full upholstered are very difficult and expensive to keep clean and in good repair. Seat inserts can be removed and replaced as needed at a fraction of the cost.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 PM

12 posts, read 21,478 times
Quote:

The seats on those 1996 one door suburbans were comfortable, but man they really let them go in their final years especially the suburban 1994 Orion Vs #460-463. Your not the only that knows too much about Lynx either. I'm old enough to remember what buses ran on the 41 route back in 1995 when I first started riding the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando