Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 AM

18 posts, read 60,115 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I am planning to relocate to the Orlando area in summer 2012. I want to live in Seminole county because of the great school district ( I have a son). Therefore, I have my eyes set on Oviedo, Altamonte Springs and maybe Lake Mary. I enjoy suburbian living, but don't want to feel like I am totally isolated...I like activities for my son and also adult activities for myself! lol

I am coming for a tour of these areas during the 3rd week of January and I will have my rental car. I booked a hotel in Uptown Altamonte Springs because it seems like a central area to all of these locations (Embassy Suites) and it also seems like there is a lot going on there. Is this correct?

I plan to contact a local realtor for a tour of some rental homes in these communities. Anybody have any suggestions of where I should stay or do while I am here for those 3 days. You guys are a wealth of information.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
I'd recommend Lake Mary. Check out the Hampton Inn at Colonial Town Park. It's across the street from the Town Park Center which is a nice outdoor venue with shops and restaurants. Lake Mary has a wealth of activities for kids and a good number of singles thanks to the corporate centers in town and in neighboring Heathrow.

Altamonte Springs is very traffic congested, not as family friendly, somewhat less safe and in my opinion the single male demographic overall less desirable than what you might find in Lake Mary.

City of Lake Mary, Florida
http://hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/attra...tyhocn=LKMHSHX

Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks Kyle you are always so helpful!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd recommend Lake Mary. Check out the Hampton Inn at Colonial Town Park. It's across the street from the Town Park Center which is a nice outdoor venue with shops and restaurants. Lake Mary has a wealth of activities for kids and a good number of singles thanks to the corporate centers in town and in neighboring Heathrow.

Altamonte Springs is very traffic congested, not as family friendly, somewhat less safe and in my opinion the single male demographic overall less desirable than what you might find in Lake Mary.

City of Lake Mary, Florida
Hotel Local Guide - Colonial Townpark, Lake Mary - Florida, FL - Hampton Inn Hotels
I agree with Kyle and Lake Mary. The Hampton Inn is a little pricey but you can get a AAA rate at $70/night. It's not bad for 3 days. It is in an awesome location for walking to shops, restaurants, bars, and movies. There are several extended stays nearby if you plan a longer trip. La Quinta, and Candlewood which offer cheap weekly rates. Just another option. Then, there is Sanford which is near. All the shopping you need including the mall. Also, downtown Sanford and the Riverwalk.

Altamonte Springs (uptown) is a nice area as well but I choose Lake Mary over it.

Last edited by beckycat; 12-28-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Thanks Beckycat! My only concern with Lake Mary is that it lacks diversity. I am an African-American female and I like to see a variety of cultures in my neighborhood...based on the census statistics - The racial makeup of the city was 89.33% White, 3.60% African American, 0.24% Native American, 3.83% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.22% of the population.

However, Oviedo and Altamonte Springs have a higher diversity rate - that is why I wanted to also look into these areas. What are your thoughts about Oviedo? The real estate looks affordable and also very nice!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenegrace View Post
Thanks Beckycat! My only concern with Lake Mary is that it lacks diversity. I am an African-American female and I like to see a variety of cultures in my neighborhood...based on the census statistics - The racial makeup of the city was 89.33% White, 3.60% African American, 0.24% Native American, 3.83% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.22% of the population.

However, Oviedo and Altamonte Springs have a higher diversity rate - that is why I wanted to also look into these areas. What are your thoughts about Oviedo? The real estate looks affordable and also very nice!

Oviedo is nice but I still like Lake Mary better dur to location and everything it has to offer. Truthfully, I think this area is diverse. Altamonte and Oviedo are fine as well. Check out Sanford. Most areas are decent but it does have some areas to avoid just like any other area. Lake Mary Spills over into it. It all depends what you are looking for. One thing about here, which I really like, is that most people are very open minded and accepting.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Thank you so much, I will definitely check it out when I arrive. Are their any areas in particular within Lake Mary that I should visit?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 PM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Oviedo is nice but I still like Lake Mary better dur to location and everything it has to offer. Truthfully, I think this area is diverse. Altamonte and Oviedo are fine as well. Check out Sanford. Most areas are decent but it does have some areas to avoid just like any other area. Lake Mary Spills over into it. It all depends what you are looking for. One thing about here, which I really like, is that most people are very open minded and accepting.
I agree. I live in Sanford myself (the west side bordering Lake Mary) and though Lake Mary is a bit less diverse than the others I feel it's quite open minded and accepting and becoming increasingly diverse every year. I think the tradeoff of safety, things to do, lack of congestion and proximity to the rest of the area will make up for it. Checking out the West Sanford is a good suggestion as it's a bit more diverse and share's the same amenities as Lake Mary. The school's are quite good as well, with Sanford Middle School especially as it offers a pre-IB (International Baccalaureate) program and is a Math/Science/Technology Magnet School that's A+ rated. Elementary schools students on the west side attend with Altermese Bentley or Idyllwilde which are "A+" and "A" rated respectively. Seminole High School is quite good as well despite having slightly lower scores than Lake Mary High. Seminole's grades have risen considerably over the years and is very nearly an "A" school now despite having many more affluent parents/students focused on going to Lake Mary High. Seminole High has focused itself more as a magnet school (IB Program and Health Science Academy), which has helped it's overall achievement and lessened considerably the divide with Lake Mary High which does not have an IB program.

http://www.bentley.scps.k12.fl.us/
http://teachercenter.scps.k12.fl.us/...p?sectionid=21
http://www.sanford.scps.k12.fl.us/
http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/IB/ibindex.htm

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenegrace View Post
Thank you so much, I will definitely check it out when I arrive. Are their any areas in particular within Lake Mary that I should visit?
I definitely agree with Kyle all the way about the trade offs. Once you get into Sanford, it's definitely more diverse. You will end up doing alot of things there including shopping, going out to eat, movies, festivals, etc. I would focus more on the 46 A area near Upsala and Country Club Rd. Also, Chase Groves is considered Lake Mary but Sanford touches it. That SD is more diverse and the houses are more reasonable. You can also get more diversity off Lake Mary Blvd in SD such as Groveview Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando