Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 18,575 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info on the area? Where are the good spots for locals dining/drinking, coffee shops, great grocery markets ?? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 PM

307 posts, read 2,101,479 times
Deland's downtown area is my favorite area! There are great places to eat, shop, browse around! Deland is quaint and charming, and I've visited it for almost 2 decades. Not much changes, and it adds to the old town feel. I think you'll enjoy it! Shopping is done in the Orange City area where they have lots more stores. Deland is an old Florida laid-back kind of town! I live in Lake Mary, and I'm only about 15-20 min. away so I visit quite a bit

Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholborn View Post
Deland's downtown area is my favorite area! There are great places to eat, shop, browse around! Deland is quaint and charming, and I've visited it for almost 2 decades. Not much changes, and it adds to the old town feel. I think you'll enjoy it! Shopping is done in the Orange City area where they have lots more stores. Deland is an old Florida laid-back kind of town! I live in Lake Mary, and I'm only about 15-20 min. away so I visit quite a bit
Thanks so much for the info...we are looking forward to the move, it does seem to have that small town feel we are looking for. We are advocates of support to local businesses within our community and the downtown area looks to be evolving still. Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,266,350 times
You have to try out the Village Inn right outside of downtown. It is a buffet style restaurant with amazing food. Also, The Old Sugar Mill restaurant in DeLeon Springs (about 10 minute drive) is so cool - they have griddles built into the tables and you get to make pancakes that are the best I have ever had! I loved Deland (I went to college there) and often go back just for the restaurants but it does still need help in the shopping aspect though - we always ended up driving all the way to Daytona (about 30 minute drive) just to go to the mall.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 AM

So its probably closer to go to the Seminole Town Center for mall shopping?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 PM

307 posts, read 2,101,479 times
Yep! It is closer to the Seminole Towne center mall. You can also venture to the daytona mall as well too. I shop at the seminole towne center mall and it's surrounding stores weekly. they have a super target, sams club, super walmart, best buy, circut city, bells, marshalls, linens and things, bed bath and beyond, and they are completing a kohls which will be done this fall.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,992 times
crime in deland - 11/17/2010
1 0
tj
DeLand, FL

DON'T MOVE TO DELAND,DELEON SPRINGS! The Deland Police department have some type of dirty dealings with the mexican criminals in Deland. They can do anything illegal and the deland p.d. will NOT arrest them mexicans for nothing! I think they have a relative in the department! I think they could get away with murder. Ten of the ramirez family members and friends with their Pit bull attacked a husband and wife at their home in deland and was on the husband and wife in their front yard when the Deland Police pulled up on the seen after the ramirez commanded the pit bull to bite the wife in the face! **THE DELAND POLICE DID NOTHING (no arrest were made at that time) ** After Three of the Hispanics attacked the Police officer the three was arrested for resisting arrest. Not assaulting an officer.After that that the same gang (They call their self's SUR13)Attacked another person whjle he was on his job. Again none of that gang was arrested! But guess what the deland pd arrested the worker for defending him self. I would have never guess that in a million years! HA HA

Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,992 times
[SIZE=2]~ DeLand Police 'Killed' Teenage Girl ~[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]« Thread Started on Feb 19, 2008, 1:38am »[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide--
'The Day She Died, She Knew She Couldn't Talk To Police,' Mom Says
February 18, 2008

DELAND, Fla. -- A Central Florida woman whose 17-year-old daughter was killed in a murder-suicide apparently committed by her ex-boyfriend said the teen was told by police to stop calling for help or she'd be arrested.

Police said Clay Coffner shot his estranged girlfriend, Natasha Hall, in the head outside her DeLand home Friday before turning the gun on himself.

Hall's mother, Sherry, said her daughter was concerned about Coffner and informed police.

In fact, Hall said her daughter called police so much that on Jan. 15 they threatened her.

"The police officer said if you call us one more time on him, I'm going to arrest you both," Sherry Hall said. "So, the day she died, she knew she couldn't talk to police. So, she handled it herself."

Michele Karpowicz said everyone noticed the warning signs before the homicide -- except police.

"I was going crazy," Hall's best friend said. "He was psycho, jealous and abusive."

Local 6 is trying to obtain a police call log to determine how many times the teen called police.

DeLand police officials have not responded to the allegations.

Source: WKMG, Orlando

-------------

Everyone who sees these words should call the DeLand lawdogs up and cuss them out over allowing this girl's murder... http://s2.images.proboards.com/wink.gif

24 Hours/7 days a week call (386) 734-1711 [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: