U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM

119 posts, read 314,900 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I would like opinions of those who may have lived in South Florida at some point in time and moved to Central Florida. Do you like it better? Do you think it's a better place to raise your family? Do you feel less stressed out? I currently live in South Florida and feel it is not the right place to raise my family.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM

23,798 posts, read 36,377,346 times
Central Florida isn't all sunshine and kittens either and would urge you to perhaps consider other parts of South Florida as well. Where do you currently live so as to compare apples to apples?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,627,101 times
I would CFL is better for families. I lived in SFL but I was, and still am, a young single guy. SFL is a partier's paradise but I didn't think it especially catered to families as much as CFL does. Not that it was bad, it just seemed more about being young and having a good time, of course my experience was skewed by my place in life at the time. That being said, CFL just seems more family oriented.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 AM

812 posts, read 1,528,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Central Florida isn't all sunshine and kittens either and would urge you to perhaps consider other parts of South Florida as well. Where do you currently live so as to compare apples to apples?
What did you miss about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would like opinions of those who may have lived in South Florida at some point in time and moved to Central Florida. Do you like it better? Do you think it's a better place to raise your family? Do you feel less stressed out? I currently live in South Florida and feel it is not the right place to raise my family.

Any feedback is appreciated!
While I slightly agree with the sentiment that it's not perfect in Orlando, it's SOOO much better than South Florida that the negatives are negligible. I grew up in South Florida, it will always be what I call home, but I will not let my kids grow up there. They are extremely happy here, and very successful.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 AM

119 posts, read 314,900 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm currently in Plantation. It's not the worst place, but I still don't want to raise my kids here. I feel the areas surrounding are deteriorating more everyday and it's starting to affect the good areas. The people are just plain out obnoxious and rude which I'm sure is in Orlando too but maybe at a lesser amount?

What area would anyone suggest that not Orlando proper itself but maybe 30 mins away and is a nice place for the family?

Thank you!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would CFL is better for families. I lived in SFL but I was, and still am, a young single guy. SFL is a partier's paradise but I didn't think it especially catered to families as much as CFL does. Not that it was bad, it just seemed more about being young and having a good time, of course my experience was skewed by my place in life at the time. That being said, CFL just seems more family oriented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
What did you miss about:

While I slightly agree with the sentiment that it's not perfect in Orlando, it's SOOO much better than South Florida that the negatives are negligible. I grew up in South Florida, it will always be what I call home, but I will not let my kids grow up there. They are extremely happy here, and very successful.
I actually grew up in South Florida as well (Hollywood), which was a great place to grow up. While Hollywood may no longer be ideal, areas of Palm Beach County which is still considered "South Florida" are superior in my opinion to what we have in most of Central Florida.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm currently in Plantation. It's not the worst place, but I still don't want to raise my kids here. I feel the areas surrounding are deteriorating more everyday and it's starting to affect the good areas. The people are just plain out obnoxious and rude which I'm sure is in Orlando too but maybe at a lesser amount?

What area would anyone suggest that not Orlando proper itself but maybe 30 mins away and is a nice place for the family?

Thank you!
^^^ In bold.....not so much as we have the affliction overall here as well, though perhaps not to the degree you encounter in West Broward.

In terms of family areas here I would recommend Lake Mary/West Sanford (where I live now), which is 18 miles NE of downtown Orlando off of I-4 and the 417. It's much quieter and far less densely populated than Plantation, is very safe in terms of crime, offers excellent schools, nice parks, lots of recreational opportunity for kids and adults, overall fairly nice people, is convenient to most of the metro area and provides plenty of shopping/restaurants/services.

Are you planning to rent or buy? An idea of budget would help to narrow further or offer other suggestions.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,627,101 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Winter Park, Conway/Belle Isle, Lake Mary, Winter Garden, Lake Nona.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,029,451 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Dr. Phillips and Windermere

Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,805,421 times
Central Florida. There are some winning neighborhoods in South Florida as well. I love south Florida. I have actually had to reconsider my choice of living there vs here. Quality of like just can not compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando