Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 30,158 times

Advertisements

All I see online are ppl saying negative things they don't like about Florida. Not just Kissimmee but all over the Orlando area.

Mostly I see ppl talking about bad schools, but considering I live in Mississippi, where the schools are the lowest ranked schools in the country, it can't be any worse than here I would assume.

There is not a lot of racial diversity here where I live. It is about 80% African American. I see ppl saying that the Orlando Kissimmee area is predominantly Hispanic. Is that why ppl say the schools are bad? I am trying to understand what makes the schools bad. Unless they have teachers with no degrees or are using non-accredited curriculum I can't see what the problem is. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I have looked at crime statistics online and the Kissimmee area doesn't seem to have a crime problem at all. There averages 1 to 3 murders a year and has almost 70k ppl. Here where I live in Vicksburg, Mississippi they average 5 to 10 murders a year with only 25k ppl.

From arial maps it looks like a town full of residential neighborhoods. Not much else.

The houses are dirt cheap. We found a 3500 sq ft 4 bedroom house constructed in 2005 and last sold for over $515k now listed for $169,000.

You could never find anything like that here for that price.

Are there really "ghetto" areas in and around Kissimmee?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

We wouldn't move (if we move) for at least 2 to 3 years but I am trying to research areas to live in that are affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPeggySue911 View Post
All I see online are ppl saying negative things they don't like about Florida. Not just Kissimmee but all over the Orlando area.

Mostly I see ppl talking about bad schools, but considering I live in Mississippi, where the schools are the lowest ranked schools in the country, it can't be any worse than here I would assume.

There is not a lot of racial diversity here where I live. It is about 80% African American. I see ppl saying that the Orlando Kissimmee area is predominantly Hispanic. Is that why ppl say the schools are bad? I am trying to understand what makes the schools bad. Unless they have teachers with no degrees or are using non-accredited curriculum I can't see what the problem is. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I have looked at crime statistics online and the Kissimmee area doesn't seem to have a crime problem at all. There averages 1 to 3 murders a year and has almost 70k ppl. Here where I live in Vicksburg, Mississippi they average 5 to 10 murders a year with only 25k ppl.

From arial maps it looks like a town full of residential neighborhoods. Not much else.

The houses are dirt cheap. We found a 3500 sq ft 4 bedroom house constructed in 2005 and last sold for over $515k now listed for $169,000.

You could never find anything like that here for that price.

Are there really "ghetto" areas in and around Kissimmee?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

We wouldn't move (if we move) for at least 2 to 3 years but I am trying to research areas to live in that are affordable.
Kissimmee is full of tourists. It is a place to vacation, not live. There are many better areas for schools. It is predominately hispanics and many don't speak English. Do yourself a favor and look into other areas. Then, you can vacation there since you'll still be close.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Kissimmee is a very large small town extending all the way from west of Disney to about East Lake Toho, it has its very nice sections and not so good sections. Its much better than Orlando in terms of a "real" Florida feeling. There's literally NO difference in the racial makeup of the area as far as Hispanics are concerned, Orlando is just as bad and has been for at least 5 years. The main difference is development, mostly in road quality.

Kissimmee has the Houston Astros spring break training, we just had the Mecum Auto auction packed with vintage high end cars, and boat rides and better fishing than Orlando. Its got 2 huge lakes, Lake Toho and East Lake Toho. The downtown feels much more authentic than Orlando's as well. And to top it off we have Colt Firearms opening up a headquarters here. UCF is opening up their medical center at Lake Nona soon.

In my 15 years living all around Orlando and Kissimmee, by far they are more friendly in Kissimmee. However it feels like suburbia hell with tons of houses and nice neighborhoods without better paying jobs.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,058 times
Kissimmee is very heavily Hispanic. Some people, unfortunately, are uncomfortable with that, or assume that it's a high-crime area because of it.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
While the crime might not be violent, take a look at drug busts and burglaries.

Overall it's not a good area.

The schools are failing because kids don't show up, half don't speak English, and the teachers spend more time with discipline than education.

There's a huge homeless population in Kissimmee, hundreds if not thousands of families living in a hotel room, which also leads to poor educational performance. When teachers and administration are spending half their time being social workers and cops, it's hard to teach kids.

There's a huge drug problem in Kissimmee, a lot of meth.

I don't have a problem with diversity, but too many of any particular race/ethnic group/etc. in one area isn't good. I don't care if you're talking about Europeans, Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Mormons, Catholics, Jews, or Australians, a melting pot of diversity is always a better mix that will help keep property values stabe.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of Kissimmee is transient, a lot of non-owner occupied housing, which is also less desirable than owner occupied.

And please, ignore what a house sold for in 2005. The market was ridiculous and that value was flash paper--completely unsustainable. Look at what similar homes are selling for now, and it might even be on the high skide for that area.

There are so many other areas around Orlando that are so much better and have so much more to offer, and have similar homes in the same price range.

Do your homework and make a few trips here WITHOUT going to the theme parks, just to look at property and neighborhoods. I'm sure it will be very enlightening for you.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 AM

There's more homeless and drug problems in Orlando.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 AM

I'm not suggesting she move to Orlando, but there are plenty of other good areas around central Florida.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Agreed, the main issue though is what kind of pay and what kind of commute are they willing to put up with on a daily basis. A terrible commute can easily wipe out any "better" paying jobs with gas costs alone. Even a few extra bucks per hour after taxes and gas weekly is a waste.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM

They are talking about moving in 2-3 years, so I'm sure they can look for a job in their field with a reasonable commute to a more desirable area. Even if you want to work at the House of Mouse there are plenty of areas with an easy commute and good schools to look at that are far better than the vast majority of Kissimmee.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
While the crime might not be violent, take a look at drug busts and burglaries.

Overall it's not a good area.

The schools are failing because kids don't show up, half don't speak English, and the teachers spend more time with discipline than education.

There's a huge homeless population in Kissimmee, hundreds if not thousands of families living in a hotel room, which also leads to poor educational performance. When teachers and administration are spending half their time being social workers and cops, it's hard to teach kids.

There's a huge drug problem in Kissimmee, a lot of meth.

I don't have a problem with diversity, but too many of any particular race/ethnic group/etc. in one area isn't good. I don't care if you're talking about Europeans, Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Mormons, Catholics, Jews, or Australians, a melting pot of diversity is always a better mix that will help keep property values stabe.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of Kissimmee is transient, a lot of non-owner occupied housing, which is also less desirable than owner occupied.

And please, ignore what a house sold for in 2005. The market was ridiculous and that value was flash paper--completely unsustainable. Look at what similar homes are selling for now, and it might even be on the high skide for that area.

There are so many other areas around Orlando that are so much better and have so much more to offer, and have similar homes in the same price range.

Do your homework and make a few trips here WITHOUT going to the theme parks, just to look at property and neighborhoods. I'm sure it will be very enlightening for you.
I agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando