Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Complaints against Orlando, crime rates, crime reports, Paramore, Pine Hills, Deltona, Altamonte Springs, move to Stepford, violent crimes in the city, safe neighborhoods needed

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mermaid View Post
Its just the same things over and over...its getting old and boring
So a thread complaining about too many complainers???..... See the irony??

Anyway, I think posts that point to individual acts of crime in the area and such are pointless for sure. Even I don't ascribe to that.

The reasons many dislike Florida aren't changing so yes, you're going to hear the same complaints ad nauseum. JUST LIKE the reasons that people LIKE Florida are and have been the same since the dawn of time...... Why is that not "getting old and boring"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 PM

80 posts, read 291,159 times
Default A few questions to Markhunt

I absolutely have issues that I am running from on Long Island. #being my sister...I live 5 minutes from her and yet we have never been so distant since my Mom passed in April. Ditto for my brother. I do love Long Island problems and all...high taxes and cost of living, high immigration, and very high maintenance kids/teens due to very superficial high maintenance parents. Some people may call some of this luxury problems and I know that Orlando has some of the same issues but in relative terms (compared to how it had been). I am not expecting that Orlando will be a country club life style but then again i am not moving into the city. I am making a change because I can (my ex is deceased and can no longer keep me here) and because I have thought it through for 2 years. If I don't like the change I can move back.A friend said you need to give it a year to adjust. Also it is not a step up for me (I live on waterfront in a upper middle-wealthy income town)and I am not looking for that upgrade. I am curious about where in CT you lived, where in Orllando do you live now (city or suburb?) and why can't you go back to CT if you are unhappy? In fact with all these problems, why aren't the people who are unhappy on this site leaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Orlando may be a step up for you from where you lived in Long Island but, for some people (like myself), I came down with "the grass is greener", syndrome and I left a place that I took for granted (Connecticut), and came down to Orlando.

Now for me, going from a nice suburban town in Connecticut to Orlando was like taking 10 steps back in the "Quality" of life department. I didn't know what I was getting into, and like the old saying goes, "You don't know what you've got until it's gone".

This is a huge learning experience for me and I now judge quality of life, not based on a few months of nice weather, theme parks, and beaches; but rather, the people I’m surrounded by when I go out into public, what I see when I walk into the emergency room at a local hospital waiting room, quality doctors that see me in a reasonable amount of time when making an appointment, not having to fear for my wife’s safety if she wants to run to the local grocery store at 9:00pm to pick up some milk or something, knowing that my children will get a solid education by a school system in a state which consistently makes top honors for the highest in the country for level and quality of education, not having to worry about a ridiculously high percentage of sexual predators per square mile (even in 500K+ priced home neighborhoods), not being in a state where the majority of the areas even the "nicer" ones have a personal crime index 5-20 times above the national average, etc.. Etc... Etc...

I know I don't want to finish my days down here. I want to be back where I grew up and have all my memories, friends, and family. Where my roots are and many other families roots are. Where people have been living for generation upon generation and the infrastructure is there and has been tried and tested. Yes taxes can be more, but another old saying "you get what you pay for", I believe holds true in this case.

Florida in general is a transient state, and I want to live in neighborhoods where families have been for generations and are proud and happy to be there. I don't want to live in areas where everyone living there is from somewhere else and was trying to escape "something" they didn't like in their lives. Because chances are, the real problem was not where people were living, but rather an underlying issue within themselves.

I'll be the first to admit I was one of those people, and it took this move down here to figure it out, and I’ll be a wiser person for it.

This has been my "Venting", and I happen to agree with THASPECIAL, that this can be a therapeutic outlet here on the boards and I admit, it is nice to know that a lot of people are in the same boat as I am. I wish all those poeple good luck with trying to get back to where ever they are trying to go\get back to. Away from Florida.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 PM

80 posts, read 291,159 times
Quote:
I absolutely have issues that I am running from on Long Island. #being my sister...I live 5 minutes from her and yet we have never been so distant since my Mom passed in April. Ditto for my brother. I do love Long Island problems and all...high taxes and cost of living, high immigration, and very high maintenance kids/teens due to very superficial high maintenance parents. Some people may call some of this luxury problems and I know that Orlando has some of the same issues but in relative terms (compared to how it had been). I am not expecting that Orlando will be a country club life style but then again i am not moving into the city. I am making a change because I can (my ex is deceased and can no longer keep me here) and because I have thought it through for 2 years. If I don't like the change I can move back.A friend said you need to give it a year to adjust. Also it is not a step up for me (I live on waterfront in a upper middle-wealthy income town)and I am not looking for that upgrade. I am curious about where in CT you lived, where in Orllando do you live now (city or suburb?) and why can't you go back to CT if you are unhappy? In fact with all these problems, why aren't the people who are unhappy on this site leaving?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,101 times
Quote:

Most of us that are saying there is problems with crime or other issues here don't have the money to pick up and start in another place right now. I never said i personally wanted to move even after all the stuff ive been through here......you just get used to the lifestyle....its like asking "why dont the people in the south Bronx just up and move since there is high crime and they dont like it?"......Well some of us want to move and some of us are comfortable here with the lifestyle and problems but just inform other people what they might expect.......Orlando is a really cool place and has lots of things to do but only if you have the money to actually do those things....most people like me that live here only have the money to go to the movies every once and a while or go out to eat once or twice a month......but when people like me get our financial lives in a better position then Orlando has great areas to live in but until then i have to deal with the problems that all average Orlando citizens deal with......I'm tired of moving i have lived in 5 states and moved 23 times already....i want to make enough money to have a home in a nice area outside of town here one day....

I really think people misunderstand when crime is being reported or other things about the area is being reported. For the most part we are venting about traffic or crime but alot of people don't understand how the actuall city of Orando is, so it would really suck if "NO ONE" said anything about the crime or issues here and then someone moves here just because they had good visits in the tourist area and then they find that Orlando really isnt the nice easy going tourist town they thought it was....so its good to report things....For instance if i was planning a move to Idaho...I would assume in my mind that there weren't tons of crime and that it was really quite and a nice place, but i have never lived day to day there so it would be nice to hear from the locals in that area about some things i should watch out for before moving....thats all

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 09-09-2007 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times
Quote:
Did you confuse yourself??? Trying to figure out your reaction to your own post here...

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,421 times
Quote:
I absolutely have issues that I am running from on Long Island. #being my sister...I live 5 minutes from her and yet we have never been so distant since my Mom passed in April. Ditto for my brother. I do love Long Island problems and all...high taxes and cost of living, high immigration, and very high maintenance kids/teens due to very superficial high maintenance parents. Some people may call some of this luxury problems and I know that Orlando has some of the same issues but in relative terms (compared to how it had been). I am not expecting that Orlando will be a country club life style but then again i am not moving into the city. I am making a change because I can (my ex is deceased and can no longer keep me here) and because I have thought it through for 2 years. If I don't like the change I can move back.A friend said you need to give it a year to adjust. Also it is not a step up for me (I live on waterfront in a upper middle-wealthy income town)and I am not looking for that upgrade. I am curious about where in CT you lived, where in Orlando do you live now (city or suburb?) and why can't you go back to CT if you are unhappy? In fact with all these problems, why aren't the people who are unhappy on this site leaving?
When I said a "step up", I didn't mean financially. I mean in terms of overall quality of life. One thing that I have learned living here is that you can live in Windermere and when you go out of your "palace" still be surrounded by the very people you may be trying to escape from in your home. Still be surrounded by sexual predators. Have a higher risk of home invasion. I'm not saying that there is a perfect place anywhere, but the majority of the population now in central Florida (and I would venture to say in the whole state), is filling up with people that I would not want my children to be around. I am thinking of my children first and foremost. For people without children or whose children are all grown up already, Florida may be more appealing to you.

Why don't I leave you ask? Simple. Economics. I am stuck in a mortgage right now; have a good job making OK money, and fantastic benefits. I hope to sell my house within 2 years before my oldest daughter starts kindergarten. Then at that point if I cannot sell, I will have a very difficult choice to make in which I will probably default on the mortgage and leave it behind. Then I will probably get a job making half the money I make here. But you know what? The quality of life for my children, I believe will actually be better. Because I don't have to worry about them being abducted, they will be going to school in a state where the mastery test scores and graduation rate are always top year after year in comparison to the rest of the country. Connecticut has a state program which gives children under the age of 19 AND their parents free healthcare if the household makes less than 38K per year. And the CT healthcare system is also some of the best in the country. The majority of every city or town in CT is well below the national average for crime and personal crime indexes. Florida is the exact opposite.

Believe me; if it was as easy as you say it is to just pick up and leave, I would not even be typing this. If you are interested in buying my home I would be more than happy to give you info and photos of it so I could get the heck out of here. I live in eastern Polk County. I am about 20 minutes west of Disney world (I-4) corridor. Where I am now is almost like country compared to Orlando, but still not for me. In fact if anyone looking to come down to Florida from up north is interested in my home, let me know. It is a brand new home. PM me for more info.

Oh, when I lived in Connecticut, I lived In Danbury, Ansonia, and Oakville. If I were to move back I would look at towns like Southington, Plymouth, Thomaston, Oakville, Terryville, and Watertown. I can promise you that if you look up crime and demographics statistics on any of these cities\towns you will see a stark contrast with towns\cities in central Florida (probably the whole state of Florida too).

When I lived in Orlando I lived over by the airport (back in 2003). I have family that lives in South Orlando (Wetherbee, Southchase area). I have friends that live in Vista Lakes, Lake Nona, and Dr. Phillips. I have also lived in Saint Cloud (South Narcoosee area). I would not want to raise a family in any of these areas. Again this is just my personal preference. Of course other people will be happy living in all of these places and thats great for them. The majority of the people I have met down here, especially in Orange County haven’t even been here more than 10 years. Now, this is just people I have met personally. I know that many people have been down here longer than that and that there are born and raised residents all over as well. But I believe the trend is shifting to more people coming in (more so from Islands in the Caribbean), to live here that have no roots here in Florida. I want my children to be around people in which the majority of them are settled, stable, traditional, deep seated roots (like we have in CT), and in general have the same mentality. Not to mention I miss the seasons. The holidays have never been the same for me.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,528 times
"but the majority of the population now in central Florida (and I would venture to say in the whole state), is filling up with people that I would not want my children to be around."

do you mean sexual predators???

Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,606 times
Being That i am a Florida native i can Complain, and no body has the right to say if ya dont like it then move. Most people that say that to me are from out of state and like to tell us what to do. As far as going to the polititions Most are corrupt, Orlando didnt used to be like it is today. I could tell ya why it is, but you wouldnt listen anyway but ya should listen to the percent % that you yourself put in your own Quote HUMMMMM

Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"but the majority of the population now in central Florida (and I would venture to say in the whole state), is filling up with people that I would not want my children to be around."

do you mean sexual predators???

They are definitely part of the equation. And so are a lot of the people who don't have English as a first language, or maybe at all, and have a third world or "ghetto", mentality about them. People who probably couldn't even tell you who the secretary of state for the U.S. is. Or even the vice president....and couldn't care less. People who are here illegally and fill up our emergency rooms because they have a cold and don't have health insurance. Or for that matter, not here illegally, and still fill up our ER's because they have no insurance. I could go on and on, but in a nutshell, people who by my standards of how I was raised and where I was raised, I would consider uncivilized.

Last edited by markhunt; 09-10-2007 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,606 times
WOW, can anyone say RACISM. Lets see you go out into the fields picking beans or other under paid low income job in 99 to 105 heat index that most Americans would think they are beneath doing. Yea This is what you so call illegal, Ghetto not having English as a first language people, thats sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando