Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

45 posts, read 106,492 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM

26,804 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
In my opinion, New Smyrna Beach doesn't really fit your criteria. It has a large retiree population and the few permanent residents who are single, and in your age group would most likely not share your interests. The median age is 54 years old and 60% of the population is over the age of 45. I'd recommend looking further south at Hollywood. The very established eastern section (beachside and downtown) has much of what you're looking for as well as the demographics. 1/3 of the city is single, the average age is 39 and a higher average income for FL ($41,000), indicating a professional population. I grew up there and think it's a great place to live, in close proximity to both Fort Lauderdale and Miami yet quiet and laidback.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk - VisitHollywoodFL.org

Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM

812 posts, read 1,664,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In my opinion, New Smyrna Beach doesn't really fit your criteria. It has a large retiree population and the few permanent residents who are single, and in your age group would most likely not share your interests. The median age is 54 years old and 60% of the population is over the age of 45. I'd recommend looking further south at Hollywood. The very established eastern section (beachside and downtown) has much of what you're looking for as well as the demographics. 1/3 of the city is single, the average age is 39 and a higher average income for FL ($41,000), indicating a professional population. I grew up there and think it's a great place to live, in close proximity to both Fort Lauderdale and Miami yet quiet and laidback.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk - VisitHollywoodFL.org
Hollywood?!?!?

Really?!?!?

Hollywood!!!

Dude, talk about retirement central.

Hollywood is a poor choice for anyone with an IQ over 30 unless they have a penchant for early bird specials. Not that those are mutually exclusive criteria.

I will say the dating scene in NSB is not exactly hopping, but as far as the quality of the beach, access, and everything that makes being at a beach enjoyable, NSB is a billion years ahead of Hollywood.

Men are men no matter where you go in this state, they are either, married, gay, or cheating. Ok, maybe they are a touch different in the panhandle, but that's another story. The men on South Beach are beautiful, but that goes back to the gay or cheating thing.

lablovr,

The main thing I would be concerned with is making sure you can get a job that will meet your needs before you move unless you have a years worth of rent/expenses saved up. If you happen to meet Mr right, awesome, wonderful, it was meant to be. If not, at least you'll have access to one of the best beaches/beach communities to live on in Florida.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,028,079 times
I thought downtown Hollywood was something of a recent hotspot in South Florida, with a revitalized, livable downtown. I haven't been there in ages. The only negative I have heard about Hollywood is that, like Orlando, the homeless are rampant.

I was going to mention Delray Beach if you want a nice city on the beach that has a fun atmosphere and good nightlife on Atlantic Ave. However, I guess it's not a slow "beach town" like you find at New Smyrna or the Panhandle.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM

45 posts, read 106,492 times
Thanks for the responses! You think NSB is one of the best beach communities to live in Florida? What do you think about Cocoa Beach or Fernandina Beach?

What is Delray Beach like?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
I think New Smyrna Beach meets a lot of your requirements. Yes, more older people live there but there is still a fair share of people your age. I have friends in their early 30's who moved there about 6 months ago. They love it there. They've met several friends in their age group. There is a neat street called Flagler Ave. It has shops, cafe's, coffee shops, bars and places with live music. (Some at restaurants right on the beach) There are also some decent places to go to on Ponce Inlet with live entertainment during the day and night.

They have festivals and other events throughout the year. There is a dog beach to let your dog swim. The best part is you have the beach. It's a quiet town but not dead by all means. I don't think you should rule it out. Go visit on a weekend and go to Flagler Ave.

We love NSB and we are just 40.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Thanks for the responses! You think NSB is one of the best beach communities to live in Florida? What do you think about Cocoa Beach or Fernandina Beach?

What is Delray Beach like?
Cocoa is VERY touristy... Think of millions of people trying to find the "I dream of Jeannie house" to say nothing of what it will be like when manned Space launches return.

Fernandina, is a bit close to Georgia....

Delray is a nice beach, but talk about coma inducing.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Hollywood?!?!?

Really?!?!?

Hollywood!!!

Dude, talk about retirement central.

Hollywood is a poor choice for anyone with an IQ over 30 unless they have a penchant for early bird specials. Not that those are mutually exclusive criteria.

I will say the dating scene in NSB is not exactly hopping, but as far as the quality of the beach, access, and everything that makes being at a beach enjoyable, NSB is a billion years ahead of Hollywood.

Men are men no matter where you go in this state, they are either, married, gay, or cheating. Ok, maybe they are a touch different in the panhandle, but that's another story. The men on South Beach are beautiful, but that goes back to the gay or cheating thing.

lablovr,

The main thing I would be concerned with is making sure you can get a job that will meet your needs before you move unless you have a years worth of rent/expenses saved up. If you happen to meet Mr right, awesome, wonderful, it was meant to be. If not, at least you'll have access to one of the best beaches/beach communities to live on in Florida.
Clearly you haven't been to Hollywood given your comments and off-base remarks. I grew up there and know it well. It's actually been through a renaissance over the past 10-15 years at both the beach and downtown/Young Circle. Speaking of "IQs of 30", New Smyrna Beach isn't exactly a Mensa hotspot. The few single male thirty-somethings in NSB tend to drive pick-up trucks and repair things for a living. Single thirty-something males in Hollywood tend to work in offices and bath frequently. Hollywood's median age is 39 years old, with a third of the population in the OP's 25-44 age group and 35% of the population being single. New Smyrna Beach's median age is 54 years old (that would be more like retirement central don't ya think?) with just 19% of the OP's age group (25-44) living there and 60% of the population over age 45.

Hollywood, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Smyrna Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you haven't been to Hollywood given your comments and off-base remarks. I grew up there and know it well. It's actually been through a renaissance over the past 10-15 years at both the beach and downtown/Young Circle. Speaking of "IQs of 30", New Smyrna Beach isn't exactly a Mensa hotspot. The few single male thirty-somethings in NSB tend to drive pick-up trucks and repair things for a living. Single thirty-something males in Hollywood tend to work in offices and bath frequently. Hollywood's median age is 39 years old, with a third of the population in the OP's 25-44 age group and 35% of the population being single. New Smyrna Beach's median age is 54 years old (that would be more like retirement central don't ya think?) with just 19% of the OP's age group (25-44) living there and 60% of the population over age 45.

Hollywood, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Smyrna Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe I'm wrong about the demographics, and it has been a while since I drove through there, but I just can't see it being as meaningful a place to live relative to the renaissance South beach had over the years. If nothing else; I'll stick with my point that the quality of life regardless of the dating scene is better in NSB.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Maybe I'm wrong about the demographics, and it has been a while since I drove through there, but I just can't see it being as meaningful a place to live relative to the renaissance South beach had over the years. If nothing else; I'll stick with my point that the quality of life regardless of the dating scene is better in NSB.
For you perhaps the NSB "quality of life" is perfect, but for the OP's criteria it's clearly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando