Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM

47 posts, read 311,723 times

Advertisements

i'd also say look in winter garden. i just moved here from NYC and feel good about the area so far. Today I found good shopping east on Hwy50 Colonial Dr, i think in the ocoee area- Lowes, bed Bath Beyond, Best Buy, etc .

They are opening a huge shopping complex down on 535 [Winter Garden Vineland Rd] which will have everything anyone will ever need- cannot wait for that ! It will be much closer to where I live then driving east on 50.

The complex I'm in is on 535 , down from Hwy50 -which is dumpy if going west. Yes there are sketchy patches in WG, but once you know what areas ,just drive in the other direction like I do. I like the condo i am renting, the condo association is strict but thats fine with me- this keeps the riff-raff out.

best of luck !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
bw1

25 posts, read 92,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastika View Post
my last thread was closed because people were racist. i am moving to orlando at the end of next month, i am in my early twenties and married with a one year old daughter. so i am trying this again.

i would like people to tell me good areas to live where we have a less than thirty minute commute to downtown orlando and are still close to some things to do (movie theaters, indie restaurants, places where bands play, etc) and shopping (as i dont like driving forever to do the essentials specially with my girl.) we would like to rent at an apartment complex. my hubby and i both will have jobs already when we come to orlando.

also i would rather have a low level of crime too.

and if people could advise me on some of the positive things about orlando that would be great.

i do not want to hear any racist comments about people of any color. puerto ricans are u.s. citizens and i am fluent in spanish even though i am white, and even though i have been a victim of violent crime i try to have an open mind set. i know what to do in bad situations as i am from new york city. i think its awful that i have to say this, but there ya go.
Check out Conway. It's really close to downtown Orlando and there is a wide variety of apartments and homes to rent. Some parts of Conway are beautiful and some aren't so good, so you need to go look at the surroundings. You also might do good heading up toward Baldwin Park near 50and Mills. There are so many great parts of Orlando, but one block might be great and just around the corner can be pretty shabby. Just take your time and look before jumping into something. Winter Park is my favorite part of Orlando. It's a small town, but has plenty to do, has great public schools, and is right around 30 mins. from downtown during the height of rush hour. It has some great walking streets like Park Av. and the new Hannibal Square. The prices there can be very high, but you can find good deals if you shop a little.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 PM

24 posts, read 76,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
I live in NW Orlando...near Apopka and Ocoee and work downtown at ORMC. The commute is about 30 mins and I don't hit much traffic mainly because of my work hours. I work 7am-3:30pm and rarely have issues. The crime in my area is LOW and although there are a lot of older homes, the neighborhood is very nice and we look out for each other.

I live about 15 mins from West Oaks Mall which is really nice and just about any store is very close. I really like it here and have no plans to move in the near future.

Ocoee is nice and anything north Orlando is safer. Do not move south of Orlando like Kissimmee, Haines City or Davenport.

I'd like Alafaya or Altamonte areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando