U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 113,213 times
Default What are the safest diversified cities NEAR Orlando?

We are moving to FL from New York and are looking for the safest cities closest to Orlando that have a diverified mix of races. Since we have kids and an elderly parent, we are also looking for excellent schools and nearby hospitals. ( nearby meaning not more than four-five miles away). We were considing Lake Mary, however it is not very diversified, the schools are excellent but the hospitals are 14 miles from Orlando.
Please Help!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 AM

239 posts, read 544,078 times
I'm sure you will get a lot of different opinions, but here in Florida, the words safe, good schools, and diversity are not ususally uttered in the same conversation. I'm from up north, and I know exactly what you are looking for (it's how I grew up). But to get that down here, you may be searching for a while.

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,754,576 times
I think Lake Mary has everything you have on your list and as far as the diversity issue I would not worry because the surrounding areas are diverse enough that your family will interact with many different types of people on a daily basis. Also, compared to the rest of the Country Lake Mary is pretty diverse IMO.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM

2,227 posts, read 5,768,678 times
what isnt diverse about lake mary? just curious.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 AM

75 posts, read 279,168 times
Check out Windermere

Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 AM

Be careful what you wish for. Where I came from, diversity meant many people from all walks of life, religions, backgrounds and cultures came together for a common purpose and sense of community.

In Orlando, diversity means that either a half a million Puerto Ricans live in your neighborhood, or you live around the corner from the hood.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
what isnt diverse about lake mary? just curious.
Hee hee hee... I love it.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 5,768,678 times
"In Orlando, diversity means that either a half a million Puerto Ricans live in your neighborhood, or you live around the corner from the hood."

you got that right, stupidflanders! i'm in the neighborhood that is like the first one you mentioned. and these homes are 300-400k. there are literally very few white families in my neighborhood. out by waterford and avalon park areas.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"In Orlando, diversity means that either a half a million Puerto Ricans live in your neighborhood, or you live around the corner from the hood."

you got that right, stupidflanders! i'm in the neighborhood that is like the first one you mentioned. and these homes are 300-400k. there are literally very few white families in my neighborhood. out by waterford and avalon park areas.
Money from up north and Miami will change the face of Orlando forever....

Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM

54 posts, read 174,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty464 View Post
We are moving to FL from New York and are looking for the safest cities closest to Orlando that have a diverified mix of races. Since we have kids and an elderly parent, we are also looking for excellent schools and nearby hospitals. ( nearby meaning not more than four-five miles away). We were considing Lake Mary, however it is not very diversified, the schools are excellent but the hospitals are 14 miles from Orlando.
Please Help!
Although a few people can't get over their fears & inferiority complexes & still wish for segregation. Almost all of Orlando is diversified. A true melting pot with very few people that are stuck in the middle ages that don't want to melt. I would recommend the areas around Lake Nona, Hunter's Creek, Dr. Phillips, Waterford Lakes, Conway & Williamsburg. Good luck in your search. I hope you enjoy Orlando as much as I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando