Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM

197 posts, read 522,282 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring from doing 20 years in the Army and we are retiring in Florida. He is originally from the Palm Bay / Melbourne area.
But I have a ton of questions
1. What is the safest area to live in within the Kissimmee / Orlando area
2. How is the housing market? Would we be able to get a nice home in a safe neighborhood for 150,000 or less?
3. Just a rough estimate, how much does housing insurance cost a month , I am sure it is more then what we pay here in Kansas.
4. I know there is no state tax, but what other taxes are there. That would come out of our paycheck, besides fica and ss ?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
My husband is retiring from doing 20 years in the Army and we are retiring in Florida. He is originally from the Palm Bay / Melbourne area.
But I have a ton of questions
1. What is the safest area to live in within the Kissimmee / Orlando area
2. How is the housing market? Would we be able to get a nice home in a safe neighborhood for 150,000 or less?
3. Just a rough estimate, how much does housing insurance cost a month , I am sure it is more then what we pay here in Kansas.
4. I know there is no state tax, but what other taxes are there. That would come out of our paycheck, besides fica and ss ?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions
Will either of you be working? That is a good place to start. It's best to live by work.Second, IMHO I wouldn't pick Kissimmee. To me, it is a nice place to vacation, not to live. You can live nearby. Do you have kids in school? Yes, you can get a home in a safe neighborhood for that price. The inventory is low though and it looks like prices are stabilizing. My homeowner's insurance is about $600/yr. At this time, my home is valued around your price range. The taxes that come out of your paycheck are federal and social security.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 AM

197 posts, read 522,282 times
Oh yes my husband will be working, we are only 38 years old, not "retirees". Our son is 20 and will be attending college. What areas near by do you recommend ?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,203 times
Default also planning to go to Florida,,Poinciana area. any help?

from calif, to poinciana we do have family in the area,but we are still kind of skeptical about no crime,good schools ,and jobs in medical field.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
Oh yes my husband will be working, we are only 38 years old, not "retirees". Our son is 20 and will be attending college. What areas near by do you recommend ?
Once again, I'd live near work, Do you know what college your son will be attending? I wouldn't live in Kissimmee. I like it there but to visit, not to live. There are several good colleges here, My daughter attended Seminole State College. There are several campuses around. I live by the Sanford/Lake Mary campus.

I can't suggest any areas on the Orlando side of town b/c I don't live there. On the north side of Orlando, most of Seminole County is a good choice. If your son is going to go to UCF, you may look in Oviedo. If you want to be closer to downtown, you can try Winter Park, Maitland, or Altamonte Springs. If you want to live a little further where you have everything and rarely have to leave town, try Longwood, Lake Mary and the west side of Sanford or Sanford off Lake Mary Blvd by the college.

What type of area are you looking for? If you are more specific, that helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando