Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 PM

21 posts, read 55,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
I am moving to the Orlando area due to a promotion I accepted (I will actually be working in the city of Orlando). I have been trying to find a nice family-oriented community to relocate my family to. Neither of my kids are big into sports, but they are into other miscellaneous extracurricular activies (i.e. journalism, broadcasting, band, etc.). We have two boys (15 and 13), so I'm assuming that Sanford isn't the best place for young black males to grow up at?
Orlando is a very nice place and like any other place it has its bad spots to avoid. I hope you enjoy your time here & congrats on your promotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendemic09 View Post
LMFAO, what the hell?! You must be socially awkward or something because I've made plenty of Latino & Hispanic friends and I'm black. Discrimination in the workplace practiced openly? ...... really?...... only in Orlando or something? You're obligated to be here due to family.................................... shocking....................

Hell majority of my friends are latino. My barber is latino. Im black. We all get along fine. Never witnessed that here, like I said unless it was between females who didn't like the dude dating a female of another race. Simple as that. But never just because someone was black or latino. They pretty much co-exist due to similar laid back cultures.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM

73 posts, read 175,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
All of these late news reports are nothing new, their just more frequent and extremely rare cases.
This is what I'm saying also, but maybe my use of that monster in Titusville wasn't the best example. I wasn't trying to be funny.

I don't recommend you move there either. But not for any Treyvon reason. This is the worst of times. A person who gets the flu doesn't have it forever, though he might not be in the best shape in his normal life. It's not the best, but it's not the worst. (But I don't want to live there either.)

I felt people were getting too extreme in their judgements.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 PM

41 posts, read 78,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
I am moving to the Orlando area due to a promotion I accepted (I will actually be working in the city of Orlando). I have been trying to find a nice family-oriented community to relocate my family to. Neither of my kids are big into sports, but they are into other miscellaneous extracurricular activies (i.e. journalism, broadcasting, band, etc.). We have two boys (15 and 13), so I'm assuming that Sanford isn't the best place for young black males to grow up at?
Every city has it's downfalls. My wife and I are moving to Florida also. You are welcome to be my neighbor anytime. We are still looking around and we are fortunate enough to have plenty of time to look around before moving.

The house we live in now took us a year of house hunting to finally decide to buy it. Drove our realtor crazy, but she was good about it all. We got a realtor that worked for us instead of for the people selling the house. We also had the advantage of driving through neighborhoods we looked at during the day, at nighttime and on weekends to see how they were.

As always when you have kids you need to check out a lot of things before moving including pedophiles in the area.

As many will tell you try to stay far away form the areas that attrack the tourists. Many homes we have found out rent to vacationers and snowbirds pop in and out.

A well established area of long term family residences is the best to look for.

Have a safe move and I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 AM

4 posts, read 6,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
DO NOT MOVE TO HERE TO ORLANDO FLORIDA!

1)The Summers here are unbearable. It's Very humid until about October. If you like that type of thing then is good. If not (like me) then It's bad.

2) The job market is atrocious. Discrimination IN the workplace are practiced very OPENLY!

3) Orlando is fairly devoid of culture. It's a place of endless sprawl, sprawling into nothing.

4) The locals are not very worldly people as a whole. In fact many of them are fairly dunce . I'm surprised at how many have never been out of the south or Florida for that matter.

5) Never let anyone let you Orlando is a melting pot. It's an quietly developing sinkhole.There are many nationalities here but its heavily Puerto Rican and South American with many Haitians as well as some West Indians. However it's here but it's very much divided (Even among the Black groups they are highly suspicious so it's AA vs Haitian vs West Indian vs, all Latinos etc.). And I'm not talking about everyone being in love with one another either, I'm just talking about people cordial and decent toward each other. Most people are very prejudged toward Haitians. In Philly, Black was Black and there more functional and middle class Black people. But not here in Orlando. In Florida WAY too many Blacks are comfortable nothing and PROUD to be ignorant and slow. I'm not saying you couldn't find parallels anywhere in America, but here it's worst and somewhat upsetting upon moving here. If you come from the northeast this place will socially feel retarded in many ways. There are lot fakes here. If you're a brother or sister coming from NY/NJ get that Idea that and Puerto Rican or Latinos are friend out you head now before you come here. Florida is a entirely different place than the Northeast. In fact, things play out almost like a 3rd world country in many ways. You'll find folks a shade lighter (or darker) than you not only denying or down playing there obvious African ancestry appearance as if they were a Spaniard. Heartbreaking. Many Latinos are more racist that you're's stereotypical southern White.

6) Florida is a rest haven for pedophiles and underhanded employment practices by scammers posing as legitimate business people.

MOST especially to coming from the northeast). If you not Black the probably won't apply to you. Overall I would suggests seriously doing you're do diligence before you come to live here as with anywhere, but in all honest there are better places... don't even mention south Florida.

I'm from NY and I lived Baltimore for 12 years before coming to Orlando, and I have to agree with some of your thesis thus far. As anything in life I know things are only what you make it so, I have approached my Orlando stay with an open mind BUT....I have experienced some interesting social situations that have given me pause. For one, most of the service industry jobs are held my hispanics....I MEAN EVERY ONE in every hotel or business I've been too so much so I thought I was in Southern California. the large spanish , haitian and west indian populations also don't bother me but it appears like people really " stick to their own" around here which is odd to me as well. The one thing they always accuse us New Yorker of being is snooty so, I have made a concerted effort not to do so. But there seems to be a complacent attitude here that i've never seen before...I hope it is not contagious!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
IMHO, anyone living in an area that has a majority of black population has a greater chance of harm.

Your statement presupposes that ANYONE who lives in a predominantly black area has an equal opportunity of becoming the victim of a crime; this is INCORRECT. As the person stated before, according to the Department of Justice most crimes Blacks commit ( 88%) they commit against OTHER BLACK people. Other African Americans have more of a reason to fear young blacks teens than white people, which makes the hysteria, fear and stereotyping by some completely ridiculous.

If I had an 88% chance of winning the lottery I would be in great shape! If I had a 12%...you get my drift

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleMyBell View Post
If I had an 88% chance of winning the lottery I would be in great shape! If I had a 12%...you get my drift
Acutally, 12% to win a lottery. That's amazing.

The question is, how frequently does your 88% of this not happening occur. Let's do yearly.

1st year - 88% safe, 12% not.
2nd - 0.88 * 0.88 = 77.4% safe, 23% not.
3rd - 68% safe
4th - 60%
5th - 52%
6th - 46%
7th - 40%
8th - 35%
9th - 31%
10th - 27%
11th - 24%
12th - 21%
13th - 18%
14th - 16%
15th - 14%
16th - 13%
And in the 17th year, you will have had an 11% chance that, during those 17 years you won't have the bad thing happen to you. A 89% change of the bad thing.

Quote:
Just sayin'

Last edited by CoreLysium; 04-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: adding % marks and "th"s

Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM

56 posts, read 92,959 times
Quote:
I'm from NY and I lived Baltimore for 12 years before coming to Orlando, and I have to agree with some of your thesis thus far. As anything in life I know things are only what you make it so, I have approached my Orlando stay with an open mind BUT....I have experienced some interesting social situations that have given me pause. For one, most of the service industry jobs are held my hispanics....I MEAN EVERY ONE in every hotel or business I've been too so much so I thought I was in Southern California. the large spanish , haitian and west indian populations also don't bother me but it appears like people really " stick to their own" around here which is odd to me as well. The one thing they always accuse us New Yorker of being is snooty so, I have made a concerted effort not to do so. But there seems to be a complacent attitude here that i've never seen before...I hope it is not contagious!
I have to agree with some of this only because everyone says this city is a melting pot of all kinds of races, but yet in certain area it seem divided. I will say its even more divided by money status as well. For as the workers industrial service, I haven't paid that much attention to. I will say the cities where they are more family oriented it's more of and effort to be social extroverted.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove81 View Post
I have to agree with some of this only because everyone says this city is a melting pot of all kinds of races, but yet in certain area it seem divided. I will say its even more divided by money status as well. For as the workers industrial service, I haven't paid that much attention to. I will say the cities where they are more family oriented it's more of and effort to be social extroverted.

Growing up here I'll be first to admitt Orlando was and in some ways still is like this:

East Side : White People
West Side : Black People
South of Downtown : Hispanic

Generally thats how it has always been until the 2000's. Black people now live on the east side as well as white people even living in Pine Hills and Texas Ave. What I like about living in South Orlando is I always here a different language being spoken (In Addition to English) I love the Indian Stores or Cuban Sandwhiches at the corner store that I can't get in West Orlando or North of Orlando. I love the fact You can get CHinese Food, Japaneese, Semi-Fine Dining-, 24 Fast Food, 24 Hour Wal marts, 3 Malls With Variety of Shoppign and DIning, Etc. I love all of that with the Mexicans, Haitians, Ricans, Cubans, Blacks, Whites,Asians And Even Some Others. but thats just here in Southern Orange County. The rest of the county is undesirable to me.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Acutally, 12% to win a lottery. That's amazing.

The question is, how frequently does your 88% of this not happening occur. Let's do yearly.

1st year - 88% safe, 12% not.
2nd - 0.88 * 0.88 = 77.4% safe, 23% not.
3rd - 68% safe
4th - 60%
5th - 52%
6th - 46%
7th - 40%
8th - 35%
9th - 31%
10th - 27%
11th - 24%
12th - 21%
13th - 18%
14th - 16%
15th - 14%
16th - 13%
And in the 17th year, you will have had an 11% chance that, during those 17 years you won't have the bad thing happen to you. A 89% change of the bad thing.

Just sayin'
I hope you are just being sarcastic and not lacking in math skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando