Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,983 times

Advertisements

I love Orlando Fl I'm moving back very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM

93 posts, read 235,407 times
Quote:
Racism works both ways. And a lot of blacks are also racists

Note to Black folk: Don't listen to these morons talking about Black racism.

If you do not understand ‘white’ supremacy (as racism) what it is, and how it works everything else that you understand, will only confuse you”. -Dr.Neely Fuller

Last edited by Philly Stress; 06-05-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,530,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Growing up here I'll be first to admitt Orlando was and in some ways still is like this:

East Side : White People
West Side : Black People
South of Downtown : Hispanic

Generally thats how it has always been until the 2000's. Black people now live on the east side as well as white people even living in Pine Hills and Texas Ave. What I like about living in South Orlando is I always here a different language being spoken (In Addition to English) I love the Indian Stores or Cuban Sandwhiches at the corner store that I can't get in West Orlando or North of Orlando. I love the fact You can get CHinese Food, Japaneese, Semi-Fine Dining-, 24 Fast Food, 24 Hour Wal marts, 3 Malls With Variety of Shoppign and DIning, Etc. I love all of that with the Mexicans, Haitians, Ricans, Cubans, Blacks, Whites,Asians And Even Some Others. but thats just here in Southern Orange County. The rest of the county is undesirable to me.
Really, the rest of Orange County is undersirable to you? In what ways? I'll live anywhere in OC as long as the neighborhood is nice. If I decide to stay in Orlando, Downtown (Thornton Park, ColonialTown, College Park, maybe even Winter Park if I can swing it)

There have always been white people in Pine Hills and in the apts along Texas Ave, there have also always been black people on the east side as well. And I dont know if you know or not, but of Orlando's inner ring eastern suburban neighborhoods along Conway, Semoran, and Goldenrod Roads, those neighborhoods are heavily Hispanic

Dont get me wrong, Im not correcting you man, I just thought your post was a bit too general thats all

I will say though that I think the main reason the suburbs on the south side of the city are Hispanic heavy due to their close proximity to Kissimmee where Hispanics are over 60% of the population now, in fact Meadow Woods (which is 5 minutes from my place) has the largest concentration of Puerto Ricans in the state of Florida

Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,183,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Really, the rest of Orange County is undersirable to you? In what ways.

There have always been white people in Pine Hills and in the apts along Texas Ave, there have also always been black people on the east side as well. And I dont know if you know or not, but of Orlando's inner ring eastern suburban neighborhoods along Conway, Semoran, and Goldenrod Roads, those neighborhoods are heavily Hispanic

Dont get me wrong, Im not correcting you man, I just thought your post was a bit too general thats all

I will say though that I think the main reason the suburbs on the south side of the city are Hispanic heavy due to their close proximity to Kissimmee where Hispanics are over 60% of the population now
Im not stupid. I know there are white people everywhere. But when driving or visiting through a neighborhood, or looking at school demographics alone even, there are not too many white people in Pine Hills, nor Texas Ave. Majority of population in those schools are black . Not once did I say white people didn't exist at all on this side or black people didnt exist at all on this side. I HATE when people interpret my post to what they want it to be. Too much on this forum people misunderstand (whether intentional or not) the point of what the overall idea of a post was. You clearly just made me seem as though I think in my mind all of ORLANDO to the east is white and all of ORLANDO to the west is black.

This has to be the most reckless response I've ever received on her. I'm not a dumbass man.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,530,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Im not stupid. I know there are white people everywhere. But when driving or visiting through a neighborhood, or looking at school demographics alone even, there are not too many white people in Pine Hills, nor Texas Ave. Majority of population in those schools are black . Not once did I say white people didn't exist at all on this side or black people didnt exist at all on this side. I HATE when people interpret my post to what they want it to be. Too much on this forum people misunderstand (whether intentional or not) the point of what the overall idea of a post was. You clearly just made me seem as though I think in my mind all of ORLANDO to the east is white and all of ORLANDO to the west is black.

This has to be the most reckless response I've ever received on her. I'm not a dumbass man.
You are absolutely right about Pine Hills and Texas Ave areas about whites being in the minorities. When I read it, that came across to me as you saying white people are moving in to those areas. While they are definitely in the minority in both areas, they have always been there

I didnt try to make you think as if ALL of one side is this race, and all of the other side is THAT race, it just came across as a very generalized post to me thats all

Im sorry

Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,183,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
You are absolutely right about Pine Hills and Texas Ave areas about whites being in the minorities. When I read it, that came across to me as you saying white people are moving in to those areas. While they are definitely in the minority in both areas, they have always been there

I didnt try to make you think as if ALL of one side is this race, and all of the other side is THAT race, it just came across as a very generalized post to me thats all

Im sorry
Oh, it's cool. I took that as a shot. I wasn't snapping at you I just went in defense mode lol. I mean I clearly know white people have been in these areas even way before they became majority black! Orlando was truly segregated but mixed if that makes sense. What I was making was the point since I've been living here (2003), Haitains, And Hispanics have heavily populated these areas. And they are not just BLACK as a majority anymore. Yes black people live heavily to the west south and north of Orlando with plenty in the eastside as well. I know. I was just saying growing up it was amazing to witness the change. At my school (Oak Ridge) before I graduated in 09, it was so diverse. Just going from middle school to high school and seeing the change was amazing. I've also ventured into areas when we were looking to move, and noticed "White Neighborhoods" vs "Hispanic Neighborhoods" vs "Black Neighborhoods" (although I don't like the label that's how they are referred too).

Maybe Im not making sense. mybad. No harm done, now that you reasoned why you said what you said. I clearly thought you were making me to be a dumbass.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,045,948 times
Perhaps you would have been better off on relocating the family instead of yourself.

After all, why would you want your family to live in such an atrocious place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
2 words: family obligation

Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM

57 posts, read 96,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
I am moving to the Orlando area due to a promotion I accepted (I will actually be working in the city of Orlando). I have been trying to find a nice family-oriented community to relocate my family to. Neither of my kids are big into sports, but they are into other miscellaneous extracurricular activies (i.e. journalism, broadcasting, band, etc.). We have two boys (15 and 13), so I'm assuming that Sanford isn't the best place for young black males to grow up at?
Congratulation on your promotion and welcome to Orlando!

I would say one of the greatest determining factor on what area of the city to move to would be your driving time. The best Public Schools are found in Winter Park/Maitland and Dr. Philips area. There are several outstanding private schools including Lake Highland Prep. Many parents send their kids to Lake Highland for k-8th grade and then move them over to Winter Park High.

Orlando, like any city, is what you make of it. There are: museums, theaters, the ballet, historic ethnic communities, loads of outdoor recreation, great churches, neighborhood,.... you get my drift.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 PM

56 posts, read 92,420 times
I'm from the south and I like the southern hospitality and here in Orlando you don't get that. I've been living here for almost three years and experience Orlando to the fullest... And yet I'm not impress. I am moving back to Texas.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 AM

24 posts, read 38,957 times
So what is the consensus for the OP's question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando