U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,141,687 times

Advertisements

Four pages of posts, but nobody has come up with the most obvious answer: I-4 is free, whereas most of the other expressways are toll roads. That's why I-4 has traffic jams.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM

4,912 posts, read 4,492,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Four pages of posts, but nobody has come up with the most obvious answer: I-4 is free, whereas most of the other expressways are toll roads. That's why I-4 has traffic jams.
The tolls are a pain in the ass if you live close to I-4 though. People in Dr Phillips use the 528 perhaps, but that's about it. The 417 is useful for the east Orlando, lake Mary, and lake nona crowd.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM

5,441 posts, read 7,166,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The tolls are a pain in the ass if you live close to I-4 though. People in Dr Phillips use the 528 perhaps, but that's about it. The 417 is useful for the east Orlando, lake Mary, and lake nona crowd.
Im relatively close to all 3 of those highways

Im 2 miles from both 417 and 528, and Im 5 miles from I-4

Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,148,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
No need to be worried - the C-D urban planners have informed us that Orlando will be fine and not affected by major population growth.
Whew..thank goodness for the C-D urban planners. Experts like that have to be reliable.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Exactly, as it should be. No reason for a major 6-8 lane interstate highway to have that kind of speed limit.
Well I-4 has the automated speed limit changers, but to keep up with the traffic I do about 65-75 in Orange County, def not in the right lane though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Well another thing to take into consideration is that I-4 through downtown has a lot of curves and ups and downs. That could be dangerous in bad weather. Sadly people still go 70+ when its raining sideways and they cant see more than 10 feet in front of them

I went 50 mph on I-4 one time through downtown. It was torture

The curves are true but your exactly right. People still do 70 when it's raining, now I have only seen severe thunderstorms in the summer slow people down but thats the only time.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
SunRail needs to be expanded for it to be useful. It's too linear. Roads can be widened but the road will end up congested again in a few years if there's no alternate route. All road widening does is increase capacity and you'll see more vehicles on the road than originally. An extra lane is all it takes to encourages more people to use the road.

Transit should be first priority then worry about the road later.

I agree but FDOT cherishes it's oh-so-precious roadways so roadways are first, hopefully SuNRail will be succesful so more rail projects can come. They cant expand SuNRail. There are not enough tracks on the Eastside

Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,677,548 times
Quote:
Drove the Coronado Freeway in ABQ on the way back here. AT RUSH HOUR

Traffic got slow for a little while, but to traverse the city from 98th St to Tramway Blvd took about 20 mins, easy trip

Driving up into the Sandias with all the snow on it was beautiful too

One thing you also have to remember is that ABQ Metro is less than 1/2 the size of Orlando Metro area, and I-40 has much more traffic capacity than I-4 does.

I-40 through ABQ is like 10 lanes wide, whereas I-4 is 6 lanes in most places. And I-4 sees about 300,000 cars a day slugging up and down I-4. Not sure home many I-40 sees but Im sure its much less
And yet ABQ has two freeways while Orlando only has one.

And yes the Sandias are beautiful.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Well I-4 has the automated speed limit changers, but to keep up with the traffic I do about 65-75 in Orange County, def not in the right lane though.

The curves are true but your exactly right. People still do 70 when it's raining, now I have only seen severe thunderstorms in the summer slow people down but thats the only time.
Truthfully, I find the curves on I-4 north of downtown to be fun. Especially at 70 mph, its thrilling in a way Especially with the right music

Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And yet ABQ has two freeways while Orlando only has one.

And yes the Sandias are beautiful.
Orlando has a LOT more highways than ABQ though. We only have 1 freeway, while the other 6 or 7 are toll roads. Yes ABQ does have two highways that are free, but ONLY 2. Orlando has 1 freeway, and 6 additional major highways that happen to have tolls, one of which being the Florida Turnpike, connects the Orlando to the rest of FL (or at least the parts of FL that matter)

I-40 also has MUCH more capacity than I-4 does. And that Interchange with I-25 is HUGE! Also ABQ has some geographical feautures limiting development (The Sandias and other mountain ranges, same as Las Vegas) where as most of Florida is flat and development could theoretically go on forever down here (lets hope not)

I-4's main problem is planners were not expecting the area to grow as fast as it did, and then failed to act on I-4 once growth got here

Local governments need to begin enhancing roads NOW while population growth is still flat. by 2014 when the widening of I-4 begins, the population will more likely than not be taking off again. I really wish they could just widen it and not add toll lanes. But sadly they will

Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Truthfully, I find the curves on I-4 north of downtown to be fun. Especially at 70 mph, its thrilling in a way Especially with the right music
hahah I cant rep you anymore but I would. Your exactly right especially heading southbound around those fairbanks and par st curves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando