U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 AM

93 posts, read 104,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Phillystress u from philly? Philadelphia is like the most segregated city in the country
Self Segregation is not a bad thing. In fact, if the US upheld "Separate but Equal" correctly, then there would less crime since is mostly "Black Crime" is related to economics. Blacks would have ownership in there own communities (Banks, Hotels, Baseball teams, Resturants, etc.) But that's not the point of this thread.

The point is to note the overhelming hostilities that Latinos display towards Blacks here everyday! From all out rudeness in public places to violent encounter in public schools to the murder of child here in the state of Florida. Why don't southern Black speaks up?! Why are our Latino "Brothers and Sisters" so quiet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 AM

6,559 posts, read 4,308,537 times
"The point is to note the overhelming hostilities that Latinos display towards Blacks here everyday!"

What, you think it is just towards blacks? Hispanics do it to each other on the basis of where they are from, come visit an EEOC office and see what national origin complaints they get.

Really, there are going to be groups that will forever feel the need to discriminant against others, or they will discriminate because the situation dictates them the need to (like poor socioeconomic level blame), and these groups will be the ones to gain attention every time something happens.

While there are racial overtones in the Sanford case; in the mean time millions of Hispanics, whites, blacks, Asians, all talked to each other, walked along each other, responded to emergencies, etc, all quite nicely and without prejudice.

If we are aiming for a utopian society, forget it, it is a dream, there will always be prejudice and discrimination from a group within a group that has a differing culture and phenotype.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:12 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,108,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
As a Black person living in Orlando you may wonder what is source of Latino/ Black Tension. I've seen alot of this tension here in Orlando. May notice that Many Latinos share African blood yet many there dislike for black people is very obvious. Without getting into a whole diatribe here are some things to consider:

1) Latin America as whole is Anti Black, and they bring much of their racism with them from there said countries.

2) Latin America never had a "One Drop Rule" where "one drop" of African Blood makes you a "Black" person socially. Thus Mulattoes don't have to acknowledge there African blood IF they are light enough. So the idea is to graduate to Whiteness by "Whitening". This meanings marrying White or white enough until one bloodline an offspring is devoid of African or Indian Blood.

3) Also, the social concept of Blackness doesn't really exist. That's why many mixed race Latinos (Zimmerman mentioned his black family members but still called Trayvon Martin a "Coon") are so racist. Being Black by most Latinos, even those of African or partial African descent is seen in one way, BAD.

4) Unlike the United States where people of African descent have attempted to rally round Black of being for the purpose of achieving equal rights, Blacks in Latin American haven't got that far yet. The conditions that many of them live under are like pre civil rights America. So most White/Mestizo/Light Mulattoes feel secure in there racist ways. Also nationality is used over race many times. So issues of racial often get written off push into ambiguity.

5) Couple all this with negative attitudes that still exist here in America about people of African descent. All this helped to fuel the murder of Trayvon Martin here in Florida.
That's a long list, yet it ignores the primary source of racial tension: Rape/robbery/murder committed at a vastly higher rate by blacks than by anyone else. Not only is this a general source of tension, but in this specific Trayvon Martin case it is THE sourse of the tension. This mixed-race "gated community" was plagued with thefts committed by black teens.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 PM

93 posts, read 104,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
That's a long list, yet it ignores the primary source of racial tension
1) Seriously, many Latinos are criminally active too. Here in Florida and other places. Most black crime in BLACK ON BLACK! However when I meet people I don't make the assumptions that they are criminal if they are a coworker, patron in a large store etc. Decency needed to keep civility.

2) This thead isn't about the Martin case, but you do to understand that the man who killed him 1st defense was that he had BLACK relatives yet, he call his victim a "coon"? Do you see the hypocritical complexity here?!?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 PM

6,559 posts, read 4,308,537 times
"2) This thead isn't about the Martin case, but you do to understand that the man who killed him 1st defense was that he had BLACK relatives yet, he call his victim a "coon"? Do you see the hypocritical complexity here?!?"

Heck, I have seen cases of women (and men) that are biased against other women (and men) in the work place. Biased against your own type? Of course it happens, sure as heck will happen with relatives that are of another race/ethnicity/gender.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM

539 posts, read 531,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
Self Segregation is not a bad thing. In fact, if the US upheld "Separate but Equal" correctly, then there would less crime since is mostly "Black Crime" is related to economics. Blacks would have ownership in there own communities (Banks, Hotels, Baseball teams, Resturants, etc.) But that's not the point of this thread.

The point is to note the overhelming hostilities that Latinos display towards Blacks here everyday! From all out rudeness in public places to violent encounter in public schools to the murder of child here in the state of Florida. Why don't southern Black speaks up?! Why are our Latino "Brothers and Sisters" so quiet???
I think self segregation is bad it leads to fear and lack of understanding.

I lived in Orlando dated Hispanic girls and the families loved me. So i guess i didn't experience the hostility from Hispanics that u may have.

I know orlando racial relations are much better than philly and i lived in both places.

Southern blacks do speak up

Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM

57 posts, read 78,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Who cares.
Because so many people in this state, this country, and unfortunately, this world, prejudge others by their color of skin, or favor their own "kind".

It's not so much caring about the ethnicity of the person themselves. Those of us who truly don't see "race" don't care about it because we don't have hang ups like that.

It's caring about the fact that other people, however, do care and make it harder for people to accept and be courteous toward one another. It can also be very dangerous and incredibly unfair for people who don't judge by race, but another does, and they perceive you in the stereotypes of that race.

It's caring about the ignorant people who practice racism and reverse racism, who segregate themselves, and perpetuate and live up to stereotypes. That is a cause of concern and a real pain in the butt for those people who don't want to be barred by such simple minded nonsense.

It's not caring about a racist joke that everyone laughs at work, but caring about people who are bullied and taunted for not being part of one group or another. Even though Orlando is not the worst offender of this case, there are still plenty of people like this that live here.

Little things don't make it to the media, obviously, but discriminatory things happen all the time, unfortunately. I knew one person who had even been stoned here (luckily unscathed) for not being able to speak "English", even though her English was fine and she only had a noticeable Chinese accent, done by a gang of Hispanic boys who also couldn't speak "English", by their definition. It broke my heart. Not to say all people are like this in Orlando, of course, I've met amazing people here growing up, but to say that it's not an issue to some degree is false too.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM

57 posts, read 78,204 times
Sorry for the double post, but for my own experiences, racism is a mixed bag all around. It's mostly just people being silly or making jokes here and there, no big deal, much of it is for humor. Some it has been rather discriminatory, though.

I'd say, overall, I have met very open minded people living here. Honestly, when just hanging out with my friends, besides if we are talking about cultures directly, "race" never even comes up.

It's just the people who do it spoil the fun for everyone, you know?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM

5,109 posts, read 5,293,768 times
This case has been so misconstrued in the media that I want to scream. First of all, Trayvon isn't even from Sanford, he's from Miami! Second of all, there is no racial tension in Orlando! I was just living there a few months ago and there was no tension betweens blacks and hispanics. The media has spun this story out of control because as usual, they love to spin things out of proportion and make things into a racial debate so they can cater to minorities and make it seem as if there is still widespread racism. Which there isn't! I'm black, I would know! This whole case has been a mess since day 1. All propagated by the media's sick blood thirst for racism storylines to keep that mentality alive. We all know the truth. If Trayvon was white this would have NOT have made national news. That's why it is sickening to see the whole circus unfolding. I mean NO disrespect to Trayvon's family and friends. I prayed for him to receive justice the moment I read about the case. HOWEVER, that does not excuse the buffoonery of the media and the false misconceptions being spread out.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM

5,441 posts, read 7,025,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This case has been so misconstrued in the media that I want to scream. First of all, Trayvon isn't even from Sanford, he's from Miami! Second of all, there is no racial tension in Orlando! I was just living there a few months ago and there was no tension betweens blacks and hispanics. The media has spun this story out of control because as usual, they love to spin things out of proportion and make things into a racial debate so they can cater to minorities and make it seem as if there is still widespread racism. Which there isn't! I'm black, I would know! This whole case has been a mess since day 1. All propagated by the media's sick blood thirst for racism storylines to keep that mentality alive. We all know the truth. If Trayvon was white this would have NOT have made national news. That's why it is sickening to see the whole circus unfolding. I mean NO disrespect to Trayvon's family and friends. I prayed for him to receive justice the moment I read about the case. HOWEVER, that does not excuse the buffoonery of the media and the false misconceptions being spread out.
You sir....got some rep for this awesome post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando