Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,186,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
You should care about the backwardness down here. YOUR FROM DOWN HERE!!
Orlando itself it's not backwards. Some of central Florida is and most of the small towns in Florida. And the thread is about racism, nothing backwards about that. it either exists or it doesnt you know? I like being from Florida. Very Diverse and accepting.

Quote:
Funny, If this had happen in Philly he would've been arrested and most likely raped and abused in jail. Either that or the streets would've stepped in and it wouldn't be pretty for him OR his family. But here in Tragic Kingdom......Nothing.
In fact he'll probably get way. If your Black and reading this DON'T dare move here!!
Central Floridians (Born and Raised) for the most part have class so yes we tend not to want to act on violence. It's always been an accepting region (Except That of Mass Transit)

The people who tend to cause issue are from other locations born and raised. Not all the time but that's usually the case. Zimmerman (From Up North) Trayvon ( Miami).

And I understand many people don't like Orlando, thats fine but if the place is so bad then why does it continue to grow as well as the population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im with you on this actually. I actually like posting with you since we seem to agree on a lot of things or have similar points of view

True about racism, who the f*ck cares? This Trayvon Martin case is a tragedy, simple enough

As far as this whole fiasco goes, Im shocked that it happened in Sanford. I have read Sanford has always had racial tension, I never knew this (but then again I NEVER go to Sanford) But the fact that it happened in the Orlando Metro area is sad to me and it shows that this city hasnt progressed like many of us believed

I would have expected something like this to happen some where in FL north of Daytona Beach or points further north such as Gainesville, Ocala, Or Jacksonville. Aka South Georgia

Lets let them do the investigation and see what they come up with. I wasnt there so I dont know what happened, its between Zimmerman, Trayvon and God. If the investigation concludes Trayvon's death was wrongful, Zimmerman can rot in prison. If he truly did act in self defense, by the Stand Your Ground Law, he deserves no jail time. But only time will tell over the next few weeks as the investigation continues
Sanford didnt surprise me actually because of the racial tentions from up there, but the Orlando area itself didn't either actually. There is alows low profile racial HIGH FOCUS crimes that happen here but non to the extent of this and usually with an officer of the law. Never citizen on citizen so much.

Still anything racial here is kind of surprising, although Sanford is in seminole county, you know what I mean. Orlando as I told the northern posters is most part accepting. I drive around or catch the bus some days and feel fine. Yes langauge barriers exist in certain parts of town but thats about it. I don't know too many people here who have a problem with race, although we still refer to a person as "White", "Black", "Rican" "Mexican" "Haitian" etc., never in a degrading way.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 AM

93 posts, read 235,481 times
Quote:
Central Floridians (Born and Raised) for the most part have class...

Class?Are you kidding me?? Which ones, the ones with gold teeth, dirty dredlocks and ashy feet wearing flip flops?? Or maybe the ones in the tacky pink houses? Does the term "Florida Tacky" ring a bell??

Last edited by Philly Stress; 03-27-2012 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: tsk

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM

961 posts, read 2,458,855 times
I used to live in Central Florida, and there is some tension among blacks and latinos, but it is very subtle, its not something too intense. Unlike a lot of the East Coast cities, where I live now, Blacks and Latinos in Florida in general really don't hang out with each other or mingle in the same places. Thats pretty much as far as the tension goes really in Central Florida. And I would occasionally have conversations with some hispanics who did not portray blacks in a fond manner. The only time I really saw blacks and hispanic crowds mingle was if they were up north transplants on both sides. However in Miami, the tension is a little more prevalent.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,536,309 times
Quote:
Class?Are you kidding me?? Which ones, the ones with gold teeth, dirty dredlocks and ashy feet wearing flip flops?? Or maybe the ones in the tacky pink houses? Does the term "Florida Tacky" ring a bell??
Right, because Central Florida is FILLED with those types right? Get real, we're not a bunch of Rastas here

Central Florida does have some of those types. But we also have these

-Preppies
-Urban professionals
-Skaters
-Rockers
-"Gangstas"
-Conservative Christians
-"Rednecks"
-Executives
-Beach bums
-Gays
-Transsexuals
-Atheists
-Republicans
-Democrats
-Muslims
-Hindus

I could go on all day long

And you know what. A majority of these types I listed above are pretty tolerant of other people. You cant generalize all Central Floridians by having "dirty dreadlocks, ashy feet, and flip flops"

And who cares what you think if somebody's house is a tacky pink. If they dont like the color they'll change it. Unless they're a renter then they cant do that

Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I used to live in Central Florida, and there is some tension among blacks and latinos, but it is very subtle, its not something too intense. Unlike a lot of the East Coast cities, where I live now, Blacks and Latinos in Florida in general really don't hang out with each other or mingle in the same places. Thats pretty much as far as the tension goes really in Central Florida. And I would occasionally have conversations with some hispanics who did not portray blacks in a fond manner. The only time I really saw blacks and hispanic crowds mingle was if they were up north transplants on both sides. However in Miami, the tension is a little more prevalent.
What Black and Latino "tensions" have you witnessed? I Stay in Oak Ridge. One of the most black/latino centrally located neighborhoods in Orange County. Along with Meadowoods and Cyrpress Creek. Black and Latinos have always gotten along. Sure there are sub situations where a black girl got with a latino and the latino girls didn't like it they fight and vice versa, but I've never seen anything major here between blacks and latinos.

Quote:
Your referring to the young typically "Black" demographic that society displays I assume. There are several areas, groups of people, and other demographics with class in Florida. Have you been to all of Florida? Of course not. So it would be more accurate if you were to speak for the situation you had, and where it was located. I'm quite sure you were treated or appraoched wrong because I think EVERYBODY from the NortEast has an attitude, especially Philly and the notorious hardships there.

We could easily turn this into a geographical scene but that would'nt be quite fair would it?

I don't know what made you say such "Tension" and lack of class exists in Florida, but I sure am glad I missed it.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Right, because Central Florida is FILLED with those types right? Get real, we're not a bunch of Rastas here

Central Florida does have some of those types. But we also have these

-Preppies
-Urban professionals
-Skaters
-Rockers
-"Gangstas"
-Conservative Christians
-"Rednecks"
-Executives
-Beach bums
-Gays
-Transsexuals
-Atheists
-Republicans
-Democrats
-Muslims
-Hindus

I could go on all day long

And you know what. A majority of these types I listed above are pretty tolerant of other people. You cant generalize all Central Floridians by having "dirty dreadlocks, ashy feet, and flip flops"

And who cares what you think if somebody's house is a tacky pink. If they dont like the color they'll change it. Unless they're a renter then they cant do that

I didn't even respond to this part of his/her post because it's an insult to the bright, natrual colors which Florida promotes in all of it's uses. How can you define uniqueness if you won't be open to different living styles and patterns? And Tacky ol' me using "PinK"

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM

93 posts, read 235,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I used to live in Central Florida, and there is some tension among blacks and latinos, but it is very subtle, its not something too intense. Unlike a lot of the East Coast cities, where I live now, Blacks and Latinos in Florida in general really don't hang out with each other or mingle in the same places. Thats pretty much as far as the tension goes really in Central Florida. And I would occasionally have conversations with some hispanics who did not portray blacks in a fond manner.
Thank you. Why is it that you see this after living just a little while but people who have here ALL their life here are totally blind to this? And how come we haven't heard from one not Latino on this thread? Again, why is are the locals so slow? I guess they can't see what's going on around them down here? I mean they can't pick on people actions, body language and contemptable treatment of in basic social interactions?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM

189 posts, read 434,957 times
Well i'm Latino (Puerto Rican), I live in the South Orange County area of Southchase near Hunter's Creek and I graduated from Cypress Creek High School a few years ago. I was raised here as well. The area I live in is extremely diverse, mostly middle class; I have friends of many nationalites and races, and many mixed friends including people from around the country. I'd say the vast majority of people in this area are very accepting and also have many friends of different backgrounds and orientations. For the most part everyone enjoys the diversity and the area itself. Its safe to say what many people don't like is "ghetto attitudes." These ghetto attitudes exist in all forms, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Gay etc. If the people I know have something negative to say about someone/something, it would be about the "ghetto attitude" and not race.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
Well i'm Latino (Puerto Rican), I live in the South Orange County area of Southchase near Hunter's Creek and I graduated from Cypress Creek High School a few years ago. I was raised here as well. The area I live in is extremely diverse, mostly middle class; I have friends of many nationalites and races, and many mixed friends including people from around the country. I'd say the vast majority of people in this area are very accepting and also have many friends of different backgrounds and orientations. For the most part everyone enjoys the diversity and the area itself. Its safe to say what many people don't like is "ghetto attitudes." These ghetto attitudes exist in all forms, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Gay etc. If the people I know have something negative to say about someone/something, it would be about the "ghetto attitude" and not race.

Exactly these people don't live here and try to take a satellite incident they had and make the area look bad. Oak Ridge, Southchase, Hunters Creek is extremely diverse and accepting.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,536,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Exactly these people don't live here and try to take a satellite incident they had and make the area look bad. Oak Ridge, Southchase, Hunters Creek is extremely diverse and accepting.
Spot on to both of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando