Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 AM

10 posts, read 27,635 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Moving to Orlando this summer from the Atlanta area. I'm Florida born (Tampa) but after the Marines settled in Atlanta 15 years ago. Worked in Law Enforcement for a number of years so I'm familiar with crime statistics and nearly any location away from Atlanta is an improvement in Crime and Traffic conditions. I'm in a unique field where I work internationally (think hot and sand) and probably will for the foreseeable future +/- 5 more years, so I'm not particularly worried about daily commute as I'll only be driving to the Airport to start a work rotation.

My family and I (wife, two daughters - soon to be 9 & 6) are frequent Orlando vacationers and have been discussing a move for the past 2 years. We've visited and researched the following areas:

Oviedo
Apopka
Winter Springs
Winter Garden
Windermere
Longwood
East Orlando/Avalon Park area
St. Cloud

I think all of these areas would provide us with easy access to the attractions and activities that we enjoy as a family, but what I am primarily looking for is the best area to settle; schools, amenities, shopping, dining, etc, and a high percentage of permanent residents. We intend for this to be our last move and want to establish relationships in the local community. I know vacation renters come with the territory, but would like an area with the lowest percentage.

Also through researching new construction homes discovered that Meritage Home builders have subdivisions in most if not all of the areas we are searching. Does anyone have any info on Meritage or their communities?

Many thanks from Iraq, hope to be a resident in the next few months and look forward to complaining about the heat, traffic and tourists :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Of your list I'd recommend Oviedo. It's one of the top two school districts in the metro area, offers plenty of amenities (shopping, recreation and restaurants in town... or neighboring Winter Park) and consists almost entirely of year-round permanent residents. I couldn't tell you about Meritage home builders but perhaps others here can offer some feedback. Stay safe and good luck with the move!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 PM

157 posts, read 389,345 times
You should also check out the Sarasota area, on the gulf coast even though it's 2 hours from Orlando INternational airport, the schools are some of the best in Florida, and Pine View school is one of the best in the country. I relocated here with a young family from Europe and find it such a great place to live. Many different types of communities, it just depends what you are looking for.

We find Tampa to be a great airport to fly overseas.

Good Luck with your move

Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Kyle, thanks for the Oviedo suggestion. A friend from High School I reconnected with on Facebook lives in Oviedo and highly recommended they area as well.

Siestachica, thanks for the advice. Early in our search we considered several areas - even outside of Florida before finally settling on the Orlando area. What draws us to Orlando is all the activity and things to do. At the time when I settled in Atlanta is was a great area for employment. I finished my Marine Corps enlistment on a Friday, drove cross country, and had a job the following Monday until the Police Academy started. Problem is there just isn't that much to do - especially for a family. Stone Mountain and the Aquarium are once a year activities. My youngest is still too small from 90% of the rides at Six Flags and Six Flags is located in the center of a high crime demographic. I worked Homicide for 3 years and numerous homicides came out of the "Beats" that include and surround Six Flags.

I've been working in High Threat Protection for going on 4 years on a 90/30 leave rotation and without fail when my leave falls on a school break we are down in Orlando for a family vacation. My thought is by moving there my family can enjoy all that Orlando has to offer while I'm at work and then I get to jump into the mix. Even if home without a solid school break we can enjoy all that Orlando offers on the weekends. The combination of my current salary and the home market in Orlando makes the prospect to hard to pass up. So that is basically my rational.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
St. Cloud, you got East Lake Toho in your backyard and the East Coast in 20 minutes. This is the real Florida.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 PM

56 posts, read 92,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Of your list I'd recommend Oviedo. It's one of the top two school districts in the metro area, offers plenty of amenities (shopping, recreation and restaurants in town... or neighboring Winter Park) and consists almost entirely of year-round permanent residents. I couldn't tell you about Meritage home builders but perhaps others here can offer some feedback. Stay safe and good luck with the move!
I so agree with this. I rent right now in the maitland/winter park area and my family has outgrown our town home looking to upgrade and I was considering Oviedo so many families stay out there. I love shopping out there so peaceful. I would actually try maitland too if it's in your price range.... 15 min from downtown. Love that area also.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
The general rule of thumb is that anything north of Michigan is more residential, less touristy and transient. That being said, if it's long established, permanent residents you seek I would look downtown and north. Good areas with good schools are Conway/Belle Isle, Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte, Wekiva/Sweetwater/Longwood, Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Oviedo.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I would add Dr. Phillips to your list. Lovely, established area with great schools, plus it's near all of the attractions without being touristy. We have some of the best dining in the metro area in what locals refer to as Restaurant Row, plus plenty of shopping at nearby Mall at Millenia (the best mall in Orlando, IMO), and the various outlets. Also a plethora of grocery shopping choices- Publix, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Albertsons. Traffic permitting, it's about 15 minutes from Downtown and 20 minutes to the airport.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks everyone, I am heavily researching and home shopping via the internet Oviedo, Winter Garden, and St Cloud based on the above recommendations. Found a house in eastern Oviedo, gorgeous house and great size/features for the money. Question - looking at imagery and map data it's a bit out there and not seeing as much in terms of shopping, dining, etc, how is that area for family life? I don't mind the extra time it would take to visit DT or attractions (not like we'll do that every day) but more concerned with a 20 minute car ride for decent shopping or just going to a movie.

Found another home in Apopka - I don't know anything about that area, is there a general opinion on that area?

We have visited the Dr Phillips and Windermere area, I guess I thought those areas would be outside of our price range. I should mention we are needing to stay under the $300k mark and if we could find an incredible deal on the right home wouldn't mind staying considerably under that. My current position pays incredibly well, but as you can imagine working in areas like Iraq/Afghanistan isn't a long-term career and I've already been doing it longer than your standard military enlistment, so have capped our home purchase in order to have an affordable mortgage for life after contracting.

Lastly, (sorry for all the questions) is anyone familiar with Zillow and their "zestimates"? I've checked zillow for accuracy around the Atlanta area and by and large find the zestimates to be pretty on the mark with what homes are actually selling for. Wondering if the same is true of the Orlando area. I was under the impression that Florida in general was hit hard by the housing crash, but several realtors have advised the contrary and that asking prices remain firm and multiple bids on houses. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 AM

73 posts, read 175,743 times
Housing is coming back up. Allegedly 9% last year.

Use Google Maps to find what's nearby. Streetview can let you see what the surroundings look like. The idealized view from the pictures might now show you that the street has cracks (always a bad sign) or that there is a title pawn in the nearest nearly abandoned shopping center. Or crazy neighbors with statues in their yard, or with lawn maintenance problems.

Rent first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando