Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM

21 posts, read 50,673 times

Advertisements

where do you want to go? are you retired or do you have to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"What a joke. Crime is no worse here than anywhere else, plain & simple"

i like fla a lot, but i dont like orlando. the statement you made above though is, well, wrong.
i agree......crime doesn't happen at the rate of Miami, Orlando, Detroit, and New Orleans in other cities overall......and there are a couple other cities that might be mentioned but name other cities that have had the government come in to stop the crime problems in the last couple years?......why cant anyone name 30 other places that have worse crime than Orlando at this time?......

Old 09-15-2007, 10:55 PM

54 posts, read 249,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
i agree......crime doesn't happen at the rate of Miami, Orlando, Detroit, and New Orleans in other cities overall......and there are a couple other cities that might be mentioned but name other cities that have had the government come in to stop the crime problems in the last couple years?......why cant anyone name 30 other places that have worse crime than Orlando at this time?......
You mention rates. What does that mean? Those bogus polititian numbers. Or some reality TV show.

First of all Orlando doesn't even come close to Miami, Detroit or New Orleans. Have you ever been to Liberty City? I'll name a few more for you. Bed sty, Harlem, Jackson Heights, South Bronx, West Philly, Baltimore, DC, South Central, St Louis, Chicago's Southside & Richmond. Have you ever been to Trenton, Camden or Newark, NJ. The neighborhoods in those areas make Pine Hills & Parramore look like a walk in the park. Or are you compairing those areas with Lake Buena Vista, Maitland, Winter Park, Windermere, Kissimmee & Belle Isle?

Your not being realistic.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots32837 View Post
You mention rates. What does that mean? Those bogus polititian numbers. Or some reality TV show.

First of all Orlando doesn't even come close to Miami, Detroit or New Orleans. Have you ever been to Liberty City? I'll name a few more for you. Bed sty, Harlem, Jackson Heights, South Bronx, West Philly, Baltimore, DC, South Central, St Louis, Chicago's Southside & Richmond. Have you ever been to Trenton, Camden or Newark, NJ. The neighborhoods in those areas make Pine Hills & Parramore look like a walk in the park. Or are you compairing those areas with Lake Buena Vista, Maitland, Winter Park, Windermere, Kissimmee & Belle Isle?

Those are stereotypical bad areas and are just names not stats....granted they are bad areas that people pride themselves being from and escaping but.....why keep stats if they arent true...it would be a waste of time.........those are bad areas and i lived in Miami and know all about the bad parts of the city or actually county there......you must live in another city then Orlando......i thought it was not so bad when i moved here 7 years ago, but over the last 2-3 years things have really changed and unless you were here before and now living day to day then you know nothing.......and you mentioned did i know about Miami and Liberty City.....i never stopped my car at the stop lights when i ended up getting lost in Liberty City ......but i do know about Carol City......you tell me where the bad neighborhoods are in Carol City and Opa-Locka.....and let me know what part of Orlando's suburbs are ghetto and then i'll believe you

There is a difference in Florida's cities compared to those places up north and that is why there "is" a higher rate of crime......Did you know that Miami was the 2nd most dangerous metro area in the U.S......Did you know Orlando is the 7th most dangerous city......both are top 10.....the cities you mentioned cant all fit in the top 10 ......sorry there are "rates" which are based on facts about things that actually happen.....then there are stereotypes about cities.....people that are from cities that arent in the top 10-20 in crime "stats" usually say that they dont believe the stats because how could "disney world"...lol.....be worse than where i am from...."i had to shovel snow off of my car".....lol....statistics dont report all crimes for every area but that isnt a factor because each city deals with them the same way....they cant report everything they see, but when the police actually get a call and arrest someone or stop a crime....it is entered into the records of the department.....so it is a fact when there are statistics.....if your area was in the top 10 in crime stats you would say that the stats are correct but since you arent top 10 or 20 then the stats are not true because how could my rough areas not be as bad as the ones with palm trees?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots32837 View Post

Name all the little suburb areas in Baltimore that have a ghetto...and do the same for DC, and NYC, and Chicago.....i take it that you have lived in all of these places and have enough time and experience in each to truly tell people about the danger spots in each area

Old 09-16-2007, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
What bewilders me is that just because some don't like to live in a place, they make it look like the armpit of the earth and think anybody that likes to live there must be stupid or living in a dream world. In fact, the living in a dream world part has been stated to me personally. I quit posting for awhile because it was beginning to get to me. Why should I deliberately put myself out there to be abused? But I feel sorry for the people coming here for real advice.

no one makes it "look" like the armpit of the earth.....i state facts without an emotion about it and people take it how they take it

Old 09-16-2007, 06:53 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
I agree. Of course not everyone is going to be happy living in Orlando--circumstances sometimes are not good. For the few that live here and just decide to verbally trash Orlando, there are literally thousands and thousands of average residents who live and work here who are happy with their lives and their choices. I just hope that serious people looking to relocate or are relocating here due to employment or education get the information they need and then visit. "Information" obtained here can be like night and day compared to up close and personal visits. I've communicated with many off-line who are savvy enough to be able to glean the realistic information and see and differentiate the blown-way-out-of-proportion information.

We personally don't make a ton of money, we don't live in the top neighborhoods of $300,000 + houses, but we know that people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
What bewilders me is that just because some don't like to live in a place, they make it look like the armpit of the earth and think anybody that likes to live there must be stupid or living in a dream world. In fact, the living in a dream world part has been stated to me personally. I quit posting for awhile because it was beginning to get to me. Why should I deliberately put myself out there to be abused? But I feel sorry for the people coming here for real advice.

Last edited by carolac; 09-16-2007 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
you are comparing orlando (180k ppl) to cities with millions. if orlando had millions, which i'm sure it may someday, believe me, this place will be bad. more ppl, more crime, more ghettos, worse reputation. i studided these stats in college. nyc is safer than orlando.

stugots, facts are facts. please analyze and compare on a per-capita basis. you are not doing so. orlando is 7th most dangerous city to live in. based on our crime and our population. period.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Those are stereotypical bad areas and are just names not stats....granted they are bad areas that people pride themselves being from and escaping but.....why keep stats if they arent true...it would be a waste of time.........those are bad areas and i lived in Miami and know all about the bad parts of the city or actually county there......you must live in another city then Orlando......i thought it was not so bad when i moved here 7 years ago, but over the last 2-3 years things have really changed and unless you were here before and now living day to day then you know nothing.......and you mentioned did i know about Miami and Liberty City.....i never stopped my car at the stop lights when i ended up getting lost in Liberty City ......but i do know about Carol City......you tell me where the bad neighborhoods are in Carol City and Opa-Locka.....and let me know what part of Orlando's suburbs are ghetto and then i'll believe you

There is a difference in Florida's cities compared to those places up north and that is why there "is" a higher rate of crime......Did you know that Miami was the 2nd most dangerous metro area in the U.S......Did you know Orlando is the 7th most dangerous city......both are top 10.....the cities you mentioned cant all fit in the top 10 ......sorry there are "rates" which are based on facts about things that actually happen.....then there are stereotypes about cities.....people that are from cities that arent in the top 10-20 in crime "stats" usually say that they dont believe the stats because how could "disney world"...lol.....be worse than where i am from...."i had to shovel snow off of my car".....lol....statistics dont report all crimes for every area but that isnt a factor because each city deals with them the same way....they cant report everything they see, but when the police actually get a call and arrest someone or stop a crime....it is entered into the records of the department.....so it is a fact when there are statistics.....if your area was in the top 10 in crime stats you would say that the stats are correct but since you arent top 10 or 20 then the stats are not true because how could my rough areas not be as bad as the ones with palm trees?
More exaggerated negative spin. Again, and I repeat myself, THE STATS ARE BOGUS. Reporting is inconsistant & almost every factor is influenced by polititians to use on the campaign trail. This is fact. Are you running for office?
I have been to these neighborhoods while working awol apprehention for the military police. Have you been to Rikers Island? I have, and it makes our 33rd St. jail look like a daycare. I could go on forever with examples of how real life differs from your political stats.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
you are comparing orlando (180k ppl) to cities with millions. if orlando had millions, which i'm sure it may someday, believe me, this place will be bad. more ppl, more crime, more ghettos, worse reputation. i studided these stats in college. nyc is safer than orlando.

stugots, facts are facts. please analyze and compare on a per-capita basis. you are not doing so. orlando is 7th most dangerous city to live in. based on our crime and our population. period.
The facts you are getting have been tainted.

Where do you get 180k? Orlando's city limit population was almost 186k back in 2000. Over seven years ago. A misrepresentation right off the bat. Do the approx. 40 mil visitors we have in the area annually come into the equation, when reporting the stats? No. Do you believe they don't commit crimes? Ask anyone in the hospitality industry & they will tell you. Do their crimes count against the stats. Yes. Hmm, the crime counts but their population doesn't. Does Detroit, KC, Dallas or Portland have 40 mil visitors to their area annually? No. This makes the report tainted already. I have more.

Here's another fact in which you may be unaware. When reporting crimes many states report a house burglary as one crime. In Florida it is counted as three. B&E, theft & destruction of property. WOW! Same crime, three times the crime rate. That report has been tainted again.

The large number of John & Jane Doe bodies found in waterways & allies are often recorded as suicides in the larger cities because of the case work strain on detectives & the sitting polititians' desire for the appearence of a lower crime rate. Tainted again. I have analyzed & compared. I have witnessed it. These are also the facts. Period.

You say I can't compare Orlando to the larger metro areas. That was my point to Thaspecial to begin with. There really is no comparison when it comes to crime. We are not in that league yet.

Last edited by stugots32837; 09-16-2007 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando