Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Although all stores compete against each other (yes, even Whole Foods vs Walmart), the "tiers" concept is important.

Tier 1: Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and I guess Trader Joes focus on organic stuff. It's more about quality than price. Their customers are shopping for a cause.

Tier 2: Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger, Bi-Lo, etc. focus on selling a variety of national brand products with a selection of some organics and a cheaper private label items as well. Their everyday prices will be lower than the Tier 1 stores, but higher than the Tier 3 stores. Their sale item prices, which if you shop correctly, will destroy your "discount" Tier 3 store everyday prices.

Tier 3: Walmart, Target, Aldi and Save-A-Lot save you the hassle of chasing sales for the convenience of a low everyday price. Albeit, your typical sale price at Publix will be better than these stores' everyday prices, but it's about the convenience of those who don't want to be a slave to the sales.

This is not an exhaustive definition, but that's how I think about grocery stores. I'm a Tier 2 shopper, and the only options in Orlando are Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Sedano's (but with only 3 locations, does it count?). In Columbia, SC, you have Publix, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, and Kroger. A few years ago, you had Harris Teeter and Winn-Dixie on TOP of that.

Columbia can also handle CVS, Walgreens, AND Rite-Aid drugstores. I do understand that CVS snagged Florida's Ekcerd's, so I'm not mad about that....
I agree with your definition and would put further emphasis on branding as Tier 2 has far more choices/variety than Tier 3 which has a fraction of the choices. Tier 3 is great for people who buy on perceived value while Tier 2 is more about those who appreciate quality, selection AND value. My theory about why Tier 2 doesn't exist here beyond Publix for the most part is the fact that the Florida demographic overall does not appreciate the benefits of Tier 2 and shops by perceived value alone....which would help explain the few locations of Tier 1 stores across the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 PM

29 posts, read 125,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Sad to hear that all Albertson's but the one at 436 across from the mall we be closing their doors by June. I know I shop there for all my meats when they are on sale. Now, the only other options I have are Winn Dixie or Publix. I think they are both expensive.

Aww man! I have been going there for years with the exception of the time I spent living in St Augustine. I loved that store and the people in it. I drove all the way up there from Windermere just to go see it (I just moved back down to central FL). I was relieved to see it still there. Sad that too is closing

Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
I spoke to a cashier that works at Save-A-Lot and she said SAL is owned by Albertson's. I thought it was Publix. Anyhow,she said since they are closing Albertson's, they will be opening more Save-A-Lot stores. I don't know how true that is though.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,734,075 times
Quote:
I spoke to a cashier that works at Save-A-Lot and she said SAL is owned by Albertson's. I thought it was Publix. Anyhow,she said since they are closing Albertson's, they will be opening more Save-A-Lot stores. I don't know how true that is though.
Yes. Save-a-Lot is a subsidiary of SuperValu, the company that owns Albertsons. The Alberstons in Florida are known as Albertsons, LLC, which is a private company that licenses the Albertson's name from SuperValu.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Yes. Save-a-Lot is a subsidiary of SuperValu, the company that owns Albertsons. The Alberstons in Florida are known as Albertsons, LLC, which is a private company that licenses the Albertson's name from SuperValu.
Thanks for clarifying that. I wonder why the meats are not compatible in price or even quality as Albertson's? The meats at Save-A-Lot are more expensive and aren't the best quality from what I see. Maybe because they are prepackaged?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I wonder why the meats are not compatible in price or even quality as Albertson's? The meats at Save-A-Lot are more expensive and aren't the best quality from what I see.
Save-A-Lot is a deep discount operation and it's quality wouldn't match up to Albertson's which is more of a mid-scale grocery brand. It's interesting that you find the meats more expensive, though not surprising given Save-A-Lot (much like Winn-Dixie back in the day) typically chooses locations in under-served low income areas with poor access to other grocery stores.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,734,075 times
Walmart Neighborhood Markets to replace old Albertsons stores - Orlando Sentinel

Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 PM

288 posts, read 732,545 times
I hate to see them close the Albertsons here at 434 and 17-92. The parking lot is always packed and there seem to be lots of people shopping there, plus they stay open late. That leaves Winn Dixie and and Publix that are close by me. I'm sure going to miss Albertsons cowboy cookies. Any idea what they're going to put there? I prefer Winn Dixie over Publix because they just redid the store here and have all kinds of already cooked foods there which is nice when you don't feel like cooking and they are a little cheaper than Publix. I also like their gas discount.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
I hate to see them close the Albertsons here at 434 and 17-92. The parking lot is always packed and there seem to be lots of people shopping there, plus they stay open late. That leaves Winn Dixie and and Publix that are close by me. I'm sure going to miss Albertsons cowboy cookies. Any idea what they're going to put there? I prefer Winn Dixie over Publix because they just redid the store here and have all kinds of already cooked foods there which is nice when you don't feel like cooking and they are a little cheaper than Publix. I also like their gas discount.
I heard this week (unsure if accurate) that Bravo is taking over the Albertson's
on Lake Mary Boulevard. Since there isn't one in either Longwood or Altamonte Springs I guess it's conceivable they might open a Bravo there also.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,274,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I heard this week (unsure if accurate) that Bravo is taking over the Albertson's
on Lake Mary Boulevard. Since there isn't one in either Longwood or Altamonte Springs I guess it's conceivable they might open a Bravo there also.
The Italian restaurant chain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando